JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I second the reloading book. The main way I learned was I watched YouTube videos and essentially became obsessed with guns. My dad also had a good childhood friend who let us come up and shoot his guns. That helped a lot. I also have 2 uncles and an aunt who hunt a lot and they all helped me out.

Hey all, I'm super interested in learning all that I can about guns, ammo, etc but sometimes in the midst of trying to learn I end up more confused. I want to learn more, but also am afraid of asking certain questions for fear of sounding like an idiot!:p

Could we work on a "living" thread that attempts to give quick & dirty answers to commonly used acronyms and caliber references?

One thing I would be particularly interested in knowing is a GENERAL ranking of ammunition sizes...I know that stopping power can vary greatly between the same "calibers" of ammunition depending on specifics...but just sort of a general list would be great.

I'll start...and please feel free to correct me (as I'm sure that I'm wrong at least 40% of the time...)

starting small to big:
.17 (rifle)
.22 (rifle or pistol)
.223/5.56mm (rifle)
.30/7.62 mm (rifle?...I could use some help here....this is a big topic I know)
.38 special (pistol)
.380/9mm (pistol)
.40 (Pistol)
.44 (pistol)
.45 (pistol)
.50 (pistol)
20 gage (shotgun)
12 gage (shotgun)

I know this list is farm from perfect.

I could really use some guidance in understanding where a .357 magnum and a .44 magnum fit in there. and what does it mean to be magnum anyways?

and some terms that confuse me are:
SKS (soviet assault rifle?)
1911?
ACP?
lots more I'm forgetting I'm sure...
No matter how much you think you know someone else probley knows more don't be afraid to ask ? That's how we all learn

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top