JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm brand new to handguns with only limited firearm experience bird hunting with pump shotguns as a teen. My wife and I decided it was time to take action and exercise our 2A rights. We are in the process of basic firearm safety and handling training and then shooting training to be followed by CHL permits. We purchased a G43X for her and a G48 for me. We are both smaller people with small hands. I then did as much research as I could stand on holsters and ended up with a couple on order and one I bought at Cabela's. The first ordered holster (Aliengear IWB Cloak) showed up yesterday, and boy was I surprised and disappointed...in myself, not the holster per se. Due to years of work I apparently have very limited shoulder mobility. The holster is designed to be worn IWB at the 4-4:30 position. It is a kydex type holster with a stiff neoprene "scabbard". Due to my limited mobility, I am unable to draw or holster my gun with any proficiency with this holster. I simply cannot get my hand up and back to that position with any strength available. I see a lot of appendix carry position holsters sold. My feeling was that for a new gun owner that might not be the best option. The OWB strong side position (3:00) holster I got at Cabela's is easy for me to draw and holster, but of course it is not good for concealment with summer shirts. Now I'm confused where to go except maybe to Yoga instead of firearm training...

First off I suggest that you look at Leather Holsters. Kydex will wear on the finish of your Firearms. You might want to check out Joe's Holsters. I have no connection with them.

Appendix carry might work for you. Just make sure you really train well on your fundamentals so you keep that finger off the trigger during your draw.

If you get an OWB holster that really hugs your body (scabbard style), you may be able to get away with wearing a loose fitting untucked polo shirt or button down shirt.

The most expensive route would be to relegate your G48 to home defense and buy a standard G43 or other smaller gun like a J-frame revolver and pocket carry during the summer.

First off I suggest that you look at Leather Holsters. Kydex will wear on the finish of your Firearms. You might want to check out Joe's Holsters. I have no connection with them.

Some guns beg for leather, like a 1911 or Browning High Power. But they are much more expensive for a safe and suitable holster vs kydex. They tend to hold moisture, can lose their stiffness and cause difficulty retaining the gun or reholstering, and they retain mostly on static friction which is far worse on your finish.

To be upfront here...
You will spend a lot of time , money and practice on different holsters and seeing just what works for you .
Also , keep in mind that what works for you now in the Summer , may be different for you , in a different season.

If you are like many gun owners , you will end up with a drawer full of holsters...some that work and many that don't...
Andy

To be upfront here...
You will spend a lot of time , money and practice on different holsters and seeing just what works for you .
Also , keep in mind that what works for you now in the Summer , may be different for you , in a different season.

If you are like many gun owners , you will end up with a drawer full of holsters...some that work and many that don't...
Andy

He's right, I litterally have a drawer full of holsters.

My first carry spot was the middle of my back. Comfortable for me, not so comfortable when you run into old friends and they want to hug you. I changed to appendix and that's comfortable but sometimes hard to conceal. I ankle carry when I'm wearing clothes that don't cover well. I think the most important thing is that you are comfortable at all times when you carry.

I'm not embarrassed to say I had my cc for awhile before I was comfortable enough to carry around the clock. I didn't carry until I was confident enough to do so.

I am wearing my S&W SD9 (basically exactly the same size as your G48) in a nylon $8.00 Uncle Mike's at 4 o'clock under an untucked dress shirt in an office 50 feet from the Courthouse.

There is a ton of info and recommendations, but nothing beats going to your local gun shop and sifting through a bucket of holsters to find what fits YOU!

Good luck on your search, and welcome!

I would also suggest to practice conceal carrying around your home , doing everyday things and the things that you expect to do when you are carrying and out and about.
Also not trying to be funny here...but it is a good idea to practice how you plan on using the restroom , when you are carrying , at home first....
Andy

He's right, I litterally have a drawer full of holsters.

Mine is a Rubbermaid bin. :)

Comfort is most important, since if it's not comfy you will probably leave it at home. I like options so I have some holsters on the 'no' list and several on the 'when needed' list. IMO there is no one holster that will do it all for you.

I'll second No_Regerts opinion on appendix carry... if that is what it takes and what works, get trained and do it. A firearm left at home will not do you any good when you are out of the house. Just remember that gal that was eating at McD's, I think in Texas, many years ago when a gunman came in and started shooting people. She reached into her purse for her handgun, then remembered she had left it in the car on purpose. Bad choice. Her parents were both killed and she could have stopped it as his, the shooter's, back was to her several times!

Last Edited:
I would also suggest to practice conceal carrying around your home , doing everyday things and the things that you expect to do when you are carrying and out and about.
Also not trying to be funny here...but it is a good idea to practice how you plan on using the restroom , when you are carrying , at home first....
Andy

Appendix carry turned me into a "stall man". I've since switched back to IWB 8 o'clock (lefty).

I have severe arthritis in four neck vertebrae, both shoulders, right elbow and both hips. And bulging discs in my lower back. I also have an Alien Gear IWB Cloak which I rarely use, and several OWB holsters I only use outdoors or in winter when I'll be wearing a coat. 90% of the time [home and away] I pocket carry an S&W Shield in a DeSantis SuperFly holster as it is easy to get to, and the holster stays in place. Two spare magazines in a back pocket.
pocket carry, outside face.jpg
pocket carry, inside face.jpg

G17
3 o'clock
Custom Kydex

I mostly wear Tshirt type shirts but untucked nicer shirts cover it as well.

I order 2X/LT so they fit my shoulders and hang lower by a couple inches.

My first carry spot was the middle of my back. Comfortable for me, not so comfortable when you run into old friends and they want to hug you.

Glad to hear you don't SOB any longer, it is not good for a lot reasons. Spinal injury being one of the big ones...
The Danger Of "Small Of The Back" Carry

In the past, I've carried two G19s with a spare mag AIWB in non-permissible environments, in very close proximity with co-worker where "bump frisk" (unintentional or otherwise) and hugs were a regular concern with no one being the wiser to the firepower I had on tap.

CCW is a balancing act of concealment vs comfort. If true concealment is the priority, AIWB can not be beat.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top