JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just started reloading and have the bug to learn and try new things. I was wondering if anyone has made there own bullets and if so what they made them out of and how they worked. I've been looking at different types of metal to use all the way from solid copper to tungsten or maybe some out of the two combined. I know the cost isn't practical but the experience and learning curve will be priceless.

Brass and/or steel cases I assume what you're talking about. The process is much too complicated for the average person to form or too costly. You can create a wildcat from an already existing cartridge or buying a 'base'; an (usually) already formed straight walled case then the person may form the neck. Example, Starline sold 223/556 straight walled brass for a time for people to make 300 Blk.

Eh, nevermind.

People use led to pour into molds. Same data as plated bullets.

Ya I'm not talking about the case I'm talking about the projectile itself the case is way to expensive to set up and make for personal use. I was thinking about something like a solid copper with a tungsten tip.

I cannot help but think that unless you're REALLY into lathe-turning your own copper bullets, this is an exceptionally bad idea. Aside from ridiculous cost of billet copper you'd have to shave down into bullets, there's also the absolute waste, and unless you're into casting your own bullets from molten copper, then your cost for ammo after everything is said and done is probably going to be about $5.00 per round.

Do you have something against lead?

I used to shoot with an old guy that molded all of his own lead bullets from 17 cal up to 30 cal and these things would all pretty much shoot one jagged hole groups. I would sit for hours listening to him and his wealth of knowledge. To quote him "ya gotta get the tin right". This isn't "solid copper to tungsten", but a great option.

I was thinking something like this. I do also have a CNC lathe and I'm not afraid to use it. Tungsten is the densest metal there is at about twist as of lead it will also penetrate just about anything from what I have found.

1D55661A-93E2-4BB9-B2EA-4ABFC4AB4961.jpeg

I cannot help but think that unless you're REALLY into lathe-turning your own copper bullets, this is an exceptionally bad idea. Aside from ridiculous cost of billet copper you'd have to shave down into bullets, there's also the absolute waste, and unless you're into casting your own bullets from molten copper, then your cost for ammo after everything is said and done is probably going to be about $5.00 per round.

Do you have something against lead?
I don't have anything against lead just thinking about making some exotic rounds for fun. I do have a cnc lathe and mill so it's really just my time that I lose

New to reloading & wanting to try new/unusual/untested things?

Doesn't seem to be working too well in my decision tree. Hey, that's just me though.

Learn the basics, and learn them well, before attempting to try the esoteric.

IMO.

Just started reloading and have the bug to learn and try new things. I was wondering if anyone has made there own bullets and if so what they made them out of and how they worked. I've been looking at different types of metal to use all the way from solid copper to tungsten or maybe some out of the two combined. I know the cost isn't practical but the experience and learning curve will be priceless.
Rifle calibers? I'd recommend purchasing some by those manufacturers that have done similar. Take a moment to measure everything from existing rounds. Whatever CAD software you run, mock up a bunch of prototypes and get to it turning out a few. From there, you'll see how well your machining is as their weights will play the biggest role in working to a load for them. If your spot on with your machining, hopefully they come out at identical weights and you'll be able to get very precise consistency.

This could have a potential to be a very fun project. Experimenting with bearing surfaces, profiles, skirts, ogives, etc.

Have fun, and post pictures, lots of pictures!

New to reloading & wanting to try new/unusual/untested things?

Doesn't seem to be working too well in my decision tree. Hey, that's just me though.

Learn the basics, and learn them well, before attempting to try the esoteric.

IMO.
Yes I know it sounds crazy that's why I'm throwing it out there. I do plan on learning the basics before I ever even attempt to do anything like this. I have 30 years of machining experience and about 2 months of reloading experience. Thanks for your opinion it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Rifle calibers? I'd recommend purchasing some by those manufacturers that have done similar. Take a moment to measure everything from existing rounds. Whatever CAD software you run, mock up a bunch of prototypes and get to it turning out a few. From there, you'll see how well your machining is as their weights will play the biggest role in working to a load for them. If your spot on with your machining, hopefully they come out at identical weights and you'll be able to get very precise consistency.

This could have a potential to be a very fun project. Experimenting with bearing surfaces, profiles, skirts, ogives, etc.

Have fun, and post pictures, lots of pictures!
No I plan on starting with some pistol calibers!! There doesn't seem to be any out there like I'm looking at doing. I know I can nail and repeat the weight the machining would be spot on. I'm going to try to master the basics for now but I'm going to be making some prototypes and testy them along the way. I think a custom bullet would be nice to have for my edc gives it more of a personal touch if you know what I mean.

You might want to look into the legalities of making Tungsten core or penetrator bullets. Also what happens when they hit something, are you going to make a spark and burn the forest down? As for solid copper, why re-invent the wheel Lehigh, Barnes and others have done the hard work for you.

No I plan on starting with some pistol calibers!! There doesn't seem to be any out there like I'm looking at doing. I know I can nail and repeat the weight the machining would be spot on. I'm going to try to master the basics for now but I'm going to be making some prototypes and testy them along the way. I think a custom bullet would be nice to have for my edc gives it more of a personal touch if you know what I mean.
Lehigh Defense is a great reference. They machine bullets. May be worth buying a few varieties and getting the ideas flowing from there.

Ive never loaded solid copper bullets, but there is data available for them. So once you have the basics down, going from there will not be too difficult.

You might want to look into the legalities of making Tungsten core or penetrator bullets. Also what happens when they hit something, are you going to make a spark and burn the forest down? As for solid copper, why re-invent the wheel Lehigh, Barnes and others have done the hard work for you.
Yep I've been looking at the legalities and they aren't looking to good. I wasn't to worried about sparking a fire though tungsten doesnt spark like titanium that would definitely start a fire. I do see what you mean by re-inventing the wheel though just thought it would be fun to play around since I have all the skills to manufacture stuff like that but I definitely don't want or need any illegal stuff that would be asking for trouble.

Lehigh Defense is a great reference. They machine bullets. May be worth buying a few varieties and getting the ideas flowing from there.

Ive never loaded solid copper bullets, but there is data available for them. So once you have the basics down, going from there will not be too difficult.

I have seen some of those like are definitely similar to what I was thinking but the ones I saw were titanium tipped. They were pretty cool I'm not going to lie but after machining titanium I already know how much it sparks compared to tungsten which doesn't. I'm going to keep concentrating on the basic but still playing on the side. Thank you for your advice I do appreciate it

The two main ways are casting and swaging. Sometimes when you cast (with lead) you also then swage (technically sizing the cast bullet), but you can swage jacketed bullets (usually copper/brass/bronze jackets and lead cores) too - it is just more costly (for the equipment) and more complicated - not many people do it - but it allows you to make almost any jacketed bullet you can imagine.

Most people who "roll their own" bullets cast them, and sometimes add a "gas check" which is a short/small brass/copper alloy cup to the bottom of the cast bullet to reduce leading with fast loads.

Some people machine bullets on a lathe and there are other variations.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top