JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have seen some of those like are definitely similar to what I was thinking but the ones I saw were titanium tipped. They were pretty cool I'm not going to lie but after machining titanium I already know how much it sparks compared to tungsten which doesn't. I'm going to keep concentrating on the basic but still playing on the side. Thank you for your advice I do appreciate it
No worries. I hope you share your machine work here once that time comes. Fun project for sure.

The two main ways are casting and swaging. Sometimes when you cast (with lead) you also then swage (technically sizing the cast bullet), but you can swage jacketed bullets (usually copper/brass/bronze jackets and lead cores) too - it is just more costly (for the equipment) and more complicated - not many people do it - but it allows you to make almost any jacketed bullet you can imagine.

Most people who "roll their own" bullets cast them, and sometimes add a "gas check" which is a short/small brass/copper alloy cup to the bottom of the cast bullet to reduce leading with fast loads.

Some people machine bullets on a lathe and there are other variations.
Yes I'm looking at machining them. It's just going to be for fun so I'm not going to spend a lot to tool up for special equipment. Just want to put a personal touch on some for my edc's. It always means more when you make it versus just buying it 😁

You said you are new to reloading. Why not start with a good single stage press and learn the basics first. I am assuming you have not reloaded before. Start simple and then gradually work up to the precision machining so you will already know what you need/want. Like in medicine- learn how to stitch up a wound successfully before you jump right into full on brain surgery. Just my 2 cents worth.

You said you are new to reloading. Why not start with a good single stage press and learn the basics first. I am assuming you have not reloaded before. Start simple and then gradually work up to the precision machining so you will already know what you need/want. Like in medicine- learn how to stitch up a wound successfully before you jump right into full on brain surgery. Just my 2 cents worth.
You are 100% correct and I do plan on learning the basics first and foremost it would be very foolish if I didn't.
Just wanted to hear about other people's experiences if they have do this before. I really appreciate everyone's opinion on this.

Tungsten is 5x harder than tool steel. I would worry about it hurting the barrel as a solid projectile but maybe cast hard lead with a tungsten tip? Shouldn't contact the barrel. I'm no expert, just speculating.

Tungsten is 5x harder than tool steel. I would worry about it hurting the barrel as a solid projectile but maybe cast hard lead with a tungsten tip? Shouldn't contact the barrel. I'm no expert, just speculating.
Yes it would destroy a barrel really quick that's where the copper comes into play but my idea might not be legal so I think I need to do more homework what I have in mind would be pretty wicked though.

I would start with a smooth bore like a shotgun. Lot more room to play with. Create a new sabot round or ?

I've entertained the idea of a pre-stressed wad that would 'spin' a projectile when leaving the barrel thus producing some kind of spin. But stressing the wad that amount to overcome forward pressure would be tough.

Since you seem like you want to take a trip down a rabbit hole I would recommend you take a look at this wonderful thread about building a Benchrest action, gun range and custom bullets. I have read it a couple times and saved it for future reference.

Take care,

edit: there is at least one member on this forum who has made high quality bullets.

If you are going to get into making bullets that would be considered "armor piercing," by legal standards, the first step would be to not talk about it over the internet.
A281135B-F19F-40E4-918B-B69BBC78DA3B.jpeg

Since you seem like you want to take a trip down a rabbit hole I would recommend you take a look at this wonderful thread about building a Benchrest action, gun range and custom bullets. I have read it a couple times and saved it for future reference.

Take care,

edit: there is at least one member on this forum who has made high quality bullets.
Thank you
It looks like I'm doing some reading tonight.
High quality is what I want

If you are going to get into making bullets that would be considered "armor piercing," by legal standards, the first step would be to not talk about it over the internet.
View attachment 852488
Yes now that I've educated myself and see the what they are capable of doing I don't think 🤔 I should make any. They look mean as hell though and the twist I was going to make on them wasn't going to meant to be friendly.

Yes now that I've educated myself and see the what they are capable of doing I don't think 🤔 I should make any. They look mean as hell though and the twist I was going to make on them wasn't going to meant to be friendly.

Seems like a great hobby, and if the law wasn't what it was, they sound like a great thing to be able to make.

George Washington would have approved.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads