JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Easy thread.

Have a line on some private property for elk next year.

I've shot multiple kinds of bows in my life but it was a long time ago.

Mostly I would like recommendations on what bow to buy (tree stand hunting) make and model would be nice. Not made of money so a good quality to cost ratio would be nice;).

Anything special I should plan on buying besides a bow and some arrows, target to practice on?

Thanks to all the knowledgeable people out there!!!

You can pick up a good used bow that a couple of years old for sub 500 dollars. No need to buy the latest and greatest model. I would check craigslist, facebook market place, and you local bow shops. There are often consignment bows there. Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, PSE and Obssesion are all big reputable names. I shoot a 2011 Hoyt charger and love it. The key is just to practice practice practice and make sure the bow fits you. I would find a decent bow, good release, a dozen arrows, and then head to your local shop and get it tuned and some shooting lessons.

What gesasky said. Bows are like computers; a 5 year old bow is old tech and not worth close to its original msrp. I would recommend a parallel limb bow, the reduction of draw weight is crazy.

We also used a bale of hay/straw and printer paper for target practice. It was a whopping $5 and lasted the whole season. Once I could consistently get 5 arrows in a 3in group @ 20 yards I felt confident enough to hunt.

Choosing a bow, make sure it fits your body. What's your arm length is most important, how much pounds can you comfortably draw (something you can handle for half dozen shots without getting too fatigued). Walk into Archery World in Vancouver and one of Joes fine employees will gladly answer all you need to know. Test drive some of their inventory on their indoor archery range, it's fun too. A few good brands that I know of are Mathews, Hoyt, Martin and there are more. Bows don't hold their value like guns, so if you buy a used model that's a few years old, you can still get a great bow and save some coin. I own a Mathews Switchback XT. I love to shoot this bow. You are welcome to try it Joe. It'll give you an idea for a start.

Dicks has just popped off with a mid-range crossbow w/decent FPS for $600 for $244 advertised on their black Friday online advert cite is here.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ope-18bt2ugmcrshrxxxxabw/18bt2ugmcrshrxxxxabw

sorry stupid machine posted this w/o my finishing it...there are other xbows listed for your viewing pleasure.

Otherwise i would highly recommend the diamond infinite edge adjustable DW and highly recommend you find an USA Archery instructor to hone up on your form and fundamentals to assure you are knowledgeable on getting the very best shot you are capable of while hunting.

enjoy

Easy thread.

Have a line on some private property for elk next year.

I've shot multiple kinds of bows in my life but it was a long time ago.

Mostly I would like recommendations on what bow to buy (tree stand hunting) make and model would be nice. Not made of money so a good quality to cost ratio would be nice;).

Anything special I should plan on buying besides a bow and some arrows, target to practice on?

Thanks to all the knowledgeable people out there!!!
yea. i'll hit you up about it.

I have owned the Hoyt pro defiant which was a great bow and current own the Elite ritual, also a great bow. But they are on the upper end, maybe a bit cheaper now that some 2019 models are rolling out.

@Joe13 are you on facebook?
Look up Garrett Weaver
He actually was going for the world bow record for distance a few years ago, nice guy.
He has a youtube and podcast. He lives here where I do.
And he knows bows... as thats 99% all he does.

Here ya go.. ?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm1.staticflickr.com%2F25%2F60661526_b10c3130a0_z.jpg ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.ToBy2YPS6KtovgGpvqQuAwHaD3%26pid%3D15.jpg

I never understood OryGun banning CrossBows for hunting, it's an ancient weapon and qualifies as primitive just like a bow, same reasons I guess they limit Muzzle Loaders to .50 cal and bigger and restrict the sights and ignition systems! Stupid if you ask me, all politics and money from a bunch of crooks full of them selves!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top