JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me go over this again slowly...I guess none of you have used a can before. All my barrels are threaded the same. I don't shoot anything unsuppressed anymore- paper or game. Zero each rifle with the can screwed on tight. And by the way, I get better accuracy with a can on everything I shoot. Now you can take the can off to put in the case beside your rifle. Put it back on when you want to shoot. The zero will be the same as when you took it off. It doesn't change. How can it if you thread it on tight just as you did before. My experience is they print a couple inches high with can OFF...but once most people use one, they don't want to shoot without it. 1. It cuts recoil 40-50% depending on cal. 2. It saves your hearing 3. The game you're shooting at doesn't know what's going on...they're as liable to run towards you as away. Last year a friend shot a bull out of a herd at 200 yds with a .30-378 suppressed. The herd of 80-100 slow trotted off about 300 yds and went back to feeding. We shoot squeaks with .17-.20-.22 out of .30 cans. Not only are they easier to shoot, but no birds come to put down the critters with their circling. They don't hear shots.

Let me go over this again slowly...I guess none of you have used a can before. All my barrels are threaded the same. I don't shoot anything unsuppressed anymore- paper or game. Zero each rifle with the can screwed on tight. And by the way, I get better accuracy with a can on everything I shoot. Now you can take the can off to put in the case beside your rifle. Put it back on when you want to shoot. The zero will be the same as when you took it off. It doesn't change. How can it if you thread it on tight just as you did before. My experience is they print a couple inches high with can OFF...but once most people use one, they don't want to shoot without it. 1. It cuts recoil 40-50% depending on cal. 2. It saves your hearing 3. The game you're shooting at doesn't know what's going on...they're as liable to run towards you as away. Last year a friend shot a bull out of a herd at 200 yds with a .30-378 suppressed. The herd of 80-100 slow trotted off about 300 yds and went back to feeding. We shoot squeaks with .17-.20-.22 out of .30 cans. Not only are they easier to shoot, but no birds come to put down the critters with their circling. They don't hear shots.
You're acting as if I never shot a suppressed rifle before. What I never did was have my OWN suppressor.

I had no reason to get a suppressor of my own until it was announced they're bringing in 9x39, this is where I ask questions. Which can to get that doesn't require being disassembled to be cleaned? As for asking about P.O.I, generally removing a muzzle device changes the amount of torque needed. What makes suppressors so special that this never happens? I never saw someone remove a suppressor then put it back on.

Instead of acting in a condescending way, one can simply explain and even suggest a decent can.

You're acting as if I never shot a suppressed rifle before. What I never did was have my OWN suppressor.

I had no reason to get a suppressor of my own until it was announced they're bringing in 9x39, this is where I ask questions. Which can to get that doesn't require being disassembled to be cleaned? As for asking about P.O.I, generally removing a muzzle device changes the amount of torque needed. What makes suppressors so special that this never happens? I never saw someone remove a suppressor then put it back on.

Instead of acting in a condescending way, one can simply explain and even suggest a decent can.

When a silencer is screwed on its like a nut on a stud. There is a starting thread . On SAE screws there is one. Its not a question of getting the proper torque . Torque on a threaded shaft or barrel is just a half @ss measure of how much the parent metal stretches. In any case you screw the silencer on until it stops on the threads plus maybe a bit more. Most silencers these days are QD though.

When a silencer is screwed on its like a nut on a stud. There is a starting thread . On SAE screws there is one. Its not a question of getting the proper torque . Torque on a threaded shaft or barrel is just a half @ss measure of how much the parent metal stretches. In any case you screw the silencer on until it stops on the threads plus maybe a bit more. Most silencers these days are QD though.
So its like the flash hider on my STG58? Got it. That's all I needed to hear on the subject.

Seeing as 9x39 is a bit bigger than 9mm (as far as the bullet diameter go) should I go with a .45 suppressor? And which one would you recommend?

Ive owned 17 silencers not including ones Ive built for others. I own 12 now and have been an 02/07 SOT. What would you like to know?
Forgive me. I couldn't tell from what I was reading.They pretty much all work the same..your choice..light weight is good..geotech,silencero

So its like the flash hider on my STG58? Got it. That's all I needed to hear on the subject.

Seeing as 9x39 is a bit bigger than 9mm (as far as the bullet diameter go) should I go with a .45 suppressor? And which one would you recommend?

Thats a bit of a problem. There arent any good 45 caliber rifle silencers. Pistol caliber sure but the 9X39 is going to be a much larger case that needs more silencer volume. The Tirant 45 or something similar will work for you but even one of those will be loud.

Thats a bit of a problem. There arent any good 45 caliber rifle silencers. Pistol caliber sure but the 9X39 is going to be a much larger case that needs more silencer volume. The Tirant 45 or something similar will work for you but even one of those will be loud.
Hm... Anything else that may work instead? The ammo is subsonic (there's no supersonic loads for it), so it doesn't have to be the best... Just has to be good enough.

Its subsonic but its heavy. 280 grains ish . Takes a lot of powder to move that mush weight to 930 fps. Lots of powder lots of boom. Takes a big silencer to soak up that much pow. Anything 9mm is going to be loud. Any silencer in the 45 cal range is going to be loud too. Shoot a 900 fps 45 Colt round through a 45 silencer and you'll have an idea of how loud it will be. Louder than you'd expect.

You really need a big 30 cal silencer with 220-240 grain 30 cal bullets at 950 ish to be really quiet.

2018 will be the year of the suppressor for me. At least one, possibly 2. Hoping to get the first one going by March.

Last Edited:
Its subsonic but its heavy. 280 grains ish . Takes a lot of powder to move that mush weight to 930 fps. Lots of powder lots of boom. Takes a big silencer to soak up that much pow. Anything 9mm is going to be loud. Any silencer in the 45 cal range is going to be loud too. Shoot a 900 fps 45 Colt round through a 45 silencer and you'll have an idea of how loud it will be. Louder than you'd expect.

You really need a big 30 cal silencer with 220-240 grain 30 cal bullets at 950 ish to be really quiet.
Always liked the AK-9, with 9x39 coming in it at least means that either an AK will eventually be imported in that chamber or some U.S company will make a barrel for it. Don't care much for ARs in general outside of retro builds, only interest I have in one now with a suppressor is simply the 9x39 round. If I wanted a suppressed .300 BLK, I would have done it by now.

ak-9_2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top