JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright,

Earlier today, my neighbor had a accidental discharge. It happened at 2:39pm. I heard it go off, and I heard him yell (Oh -insert S word here-). Soon afterwards, the smoke alarm went off.

Thankfully my wife wasn't home, but I immediately called her and informed her about what happened.
She suggest it may have been some tin foil accidentally left in the microwave, but I know better.

I want them out. Evicted. If that bullet had penetrated the wall and struck someone, it wouldn't have been a good scene.

Top that off, he's a service member. Forget to clear your weapon soldier?

Advice?

Sometime it is a good thing to forgive. He isn't some meth head I take it? Chances are it scared him enough that he won't let it happen again. Nice of you and your wife not to narc to the cops.

If it were me I'd let him know I was aware of what happened and I'd appreciate him being much more careful in the future. He's lucky. If I was ever that careless, and I won't be, there would be about a dozen old ladies dialing 911 in unison.

If it were me I'd let him know I was aware of what happened and I'd appreciate him being much more careful in the future.

We're not on friendly talking terms. To be honest, he's a complete prick, with a (holier than thou) attitude. He'd call the cops or management in a heartbeat if it were up to him.

All feelings aside, I think I'll have a word with management, and let them handle it from there.

We're not on friendly talking terms. To be honest, he's a complete prick, with a (holier than thou) attitude. He'd call the cops or management in a heartbeat if it were up to him.

All feelings aside, I think I'll have a word with management, and let them handle it from there.

Sounds like it is time to make his life difficult then.

I think the term is "negligent discharge".

I have also heard, "it's not i matter of if, but when you will have a negligent discharge".

If no one was injured, then this was a good outcome. Hopefully he has learned a very valuable lesson, the easy way. I would approach him and ask him nicely how it was for him. Maybe he won't be so high and mighty if he knows you know he was a dumb but.

Like Burt and Garg said, most folks will learn from this sort of thing and not let it happen again. Sounds like you don't like the guy. This might be an opportunity to get back at him or get him out of your life, if you're into that sort of thing. If that's the case I don't have any advice for you. On the other hand, if there is a pattern of dangerous or disruptive behavior, I'm sure a lot of us would like to help.

You mentioned a landlord. Do you live in an apartment? An ND/AD at that close range would get me a little worked up too. One thing to consider - if it's an apartment and that was a firearm you heard, it's very unlikely that the damage was limited to his unit. He will probably get caught - probably already has. Not saying you should just let it go, just something to factor in.

Like Burt and Garg said, most folks will learn from this sort of thing and not let it happen again. Sounds like you don't like the guy. This might be an opportunity to get back at him or get him out of your life, if you're into that sort of thing. If that's the case I don't have any advice for you. On the other hand, if there is a pattern of dangerous or disruptive behavior, I'm sure a lot of us would like to help.

You mentioned a landlord. Do you live in an apartment? An ND/AD at that close range would get me a little worked up too. One thing to consider - if it's an apartment and that was a firearm you heard, it's very unlikely that the damage was limited to his unit. He will probably get caught - probably already has. Not saying you should just let it go, just something to factor in.

Yes, I reside at an Apartment complex. Neighbor being right next to me... Not a few doors down.
I don't have anything against my neighbor, and I'm not out to ruin his life, (which is why I'm keeping my decision un-biased). Although, I need to know that it's not going to happen again. I know it's done and over with, but I can't help thinking if a round a came through the wall... Hit me, or even if he had shot himself? I was listening for a scream, or a thud...

Holy crap, scary. I still stand by my earlier post though. Someone will probably notice a hole in their wall, floor or ceiling and rat the guy out. Much more understandable as to why you were so frazzled vs a house down the street scenario.

Top that off, he's a service member.
Not that it matters but what branch? I assumed ONG since he lives in Portland. As far as the ND If he is as big a prick as you say then he is probably the same to the Apt Management. Ditto on informing them and letting them handle it - but make sure to follow up with them and ensure you are secure with whatever they did to handle it.

Before you JUMP to conclusions you need to ask your neighbor about this. It may or may not have been "negligent discharge".

There are two groups of gun owners. Those that have had a ND, and those that well have a ND. No one has a ND intentionally.

What proof do you have of a Negligent Discharge? None other than you heard a loud noise and then heard a smoke alarm go off. I don't think a discharged firearm would cause a smoke alarm to go off. My guess is something blew up in the microwave or oven which caused the smoke alarm to go off.

Why did the smoke alarm go off? Was he shooting black powder?

Maybe his microwave popcorn detonated?

While this is unnerving you may just be making your relations worse. Will the building managment actually do anything? It's not like he has to tell the truth and they can't just march in the apartment and look for bullet holes. If you want him out, you may need to be more subversive. However, remember that although he is a royal pr___ck, you could have a much worse neighbor. At least you don't think he's a molester or thief. The other option would be for YOU to move. Buy or rent a house....communal living is for college kids!

Holy crap your neighbor has guns. Call the police, the FBI, careful he could be a terrorist. Forget being an adult going next stairs and talking to him and maybe educating him if that WAS the issue. That would do nothing.

If it was a AD, it probably scared the heck out of him and you can rest assured that he will be far more careful in the future. Stuff happens no matter how carefull you are and anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong. That's why it's called acciental. Escalating your differences won't make life better for either of you. Since you didn't incurr any damages, I suggest you mind your own business.

When I heard the symptoms, my first guess was homemade fireworks gone bad. The smoke detector, the "oh-bubblegum" and apparent lack of any damage is all in line with a moderately responsible hobby pyrotechnicist. I say "moderately" because he had a pop at 3 AM. How are his eyebrows?I guess all I'm saying is more facts are needed.

some people DO NOT LEARN with me sleeping 8 years old anmy brother 11 got out dads 45 while at work (save the how did he get it talk)
when clearing the gun he almost shot his knee off and had he had it pointed about two feet higher he would have shot me in the head.
30 years later he had a nother ND when clearing a shot gun that blew out his sliding glass door.

so yea talk to management

I agree with SteelyDan, If you are so concerned for your safety, and if you cant stand the guy as it is, Move somewhere where you can control who is sleeping in the next room over, Also did you have any proof it was a ND? If it was dont you think others would have heard and said something, also I would assume that someone would have been by to check it out either LE or management if something that loud was heard in an apartment complex.

JMO

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads