JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided to start hunting again after more years than I care to remember (stopped in 1972). I've continued to shoot at paper, just not hunting. I do shoot every week, putting 48 rounds through each of my hand guns (except the .22, that gets extra ammo for fun), and at least 20 rounds through the 30-06s (Remington 700 and Garand) and the .223. The .22LR also gets extra ammo just for fun.

For starters, I'm a disabled Veteran that doesn't walk as well as I used to. As a result I'm over weight and out of shape (okay, round is a shape). Even though I won't be hunting until 2013 season, I'm not sure how much my physical limitations will allow me to increase my walking/packing ability.

I am still a pretty fair shot out to 600 yards with my 30-06.

What I'm looking for is suggested areas, bullet weights, and probably most important is if you think a guided hunt would be best considering my limitations or hunting with a buddy.

Any food for thought will help me set goals for myself to prepare for the first of what I hope will be many hunts.

Thanks in advance.

REE

Apply for the (no insult meant) disabled hunter permits for the mud flows or toutle (556) unit near mt st helens, the elk are thick as ticks on a hound, as for bullet weights my personal preferance out of my 3006 is a 165 nosler accubond with 58grs of IMR 4350 pushing 3000fps

Yes... a guided hunt would be highly recommended for anyone who isn't fit yet still wants to hunt.

Killing an elk is easy. The hard part is after you pull the trigger. With your limitations and by yourself, what are you going to do with a 300-600lb elk on the ground 2 miles (or more) from the nearest road? <- give this some serious thought as most people under estimate what this takes.

If you want an easy elk hunt, not needing to be physically fit, close to a road and needing help moving hundreds of pounds of dead weight... you need a guide on a private piece of land.

RE: your questions...3 suggestions

Easy access area: Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
Ammo: digital camera
Stop and McD's on the way home for the meat fix.

or

Easy access area: Get online and find a full service guide in WA that has access to private lands or a group of people willing to take you.

Ammo: A 180 weight nosler partition bullet is the most common 30-06 load for elk.

or

Get fit and DIY on public lands... (not always an option for a disabled person)

Best of luck
:)

Thanks Guys. Didn't see anything insulting at all. Appreciate the comments. Had no idea about the mud flows area. I'll look into that as well as a younger, more fit hunting companion to pack out the meat. No, I haven't forgotten what it's like to pack out a deer or elk. Isn't that what nephews are for? Somehow I always had to pack the meat out uphill, in 6 foot snow drifts, going both ways.

I'll also look into a guided trip, though that may not be possible on a disability income.

apply for the disabled hunter tag i for one and i am pretty sure many others on here would be more then happy to accompany you on your hunt to help....... i am out towards ocean shores

I've decided to start hunting again after more years than I care to remember (stopped in 1972). I've continued to shoot at paper, just not hunting. I do shoot every week, putting 48 rounds through each of my hand guns (except the .22, that gets extra ammo for fun), and at least 20 rounds through the 30-06s (Remington 700 and Garand) and the .223. The .22LR also gets extra ammo just for fun.

For starters, I'm a disabled Veteran that doesn't walk as well as I used to. As a result I'm over weight and out of shape (okay, round is a shape). Even though I won't be hunting until 2013 season, I'm not sure how much my physical limitations will allow me to increase my walking/packing ability.

I am still a pretty fair shot out to 600 yards with my 30-06.

What I'm looking for is suggested areas, bullet weights, and probably most important is if you think a guided hunt would be best considering my limitations or hunting with a buddy.

Any food for thought will help me set goals for myself to prepare for the first of what I hope will be many hunts.

Thanks in advance.

REE

Absolutely get your disabled hunter's permit. I have an electric assist vehicle (an electric 4X4 Polaris Ranger EV with a winch)...you can use that where normal licensed hunters cannot go (see quals for a Mobility assist device).

You can have a designated person that can assist you (I see you already have one volunteer) and there are specific hunts for disabled (I see you have already been clued in on that too)

Really just want to clue you into the Ranger EV. Makes life much simpler when you have difficulty walking...also makes it easy to transport your trophy out. Totally legal for a disabled person. Really good when turkey hunting too.

Ron Eagle, I accompanied a disabled hunter this year(for deer). He is 68 years old and I am 52; he gained access to a gated area up in Sequim, only three tags were issued for the area, so that is 3 hunters & companions (6 people) for that spot,(1500 acres, I think), anyway, he is capable of making a shot, we have been on a couple other hunts together (successfully).
He can't walk but a few yards until he is out of breath, he is retired navy and on oxygen 24/7. I ended up shooting a buck (legally) putting his tag on it, gutting it, and dragging it 300 yards to the truck, we split the deer and both had a "Great Time !!"
We would road hunt until an acceptable clear-cut was available for me to stalk; ...legally I could be no more than 440 yards from him at any time when hunting,
as it happened, it worked out great. So in closing, hunting with a handicapped hunter is not a bad deal at all !!

Apply for a hunt up here on the Peninsula. They have permit hunt every year.It's kind of a 'drive hunt' where they set you on a trail and drive the elk your way.They use it to cull off some of the elk
There had been a few disabled kids come up and take home an elk

Yeah Tahoe is talking about ,or I'm talking about the same hunt as Tahoe.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top