JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am selling my Ruger P94 .40 for a concealed carry/smaller carry option. I really like the Springfield XD .40 sub, and the Glock 27 or 36. What other good choices do you recommend for a "budget" minded buyer, new or used in the under $500 range.

Thanks,
OC

I used to have a subcompact Glock and XD. I liked the feel and trigger of the XD more but I am sticking to Glocks. I love the factory mag capacity and the reliability and the Glock is not all paranoid with safety. I did not mind the grip safety of the XD and I would buy another one but I am invested in Glocks and I wanna carry the same platform as a backup weapon. I own a G23 currently and I wanna carry one style of mag because the last thing I wanna do is to use the wrong mag in the wrong gun under stress. Also I am able to use my LEO discount towards Glocks so I can get a brand new Glock 27 (my next Glock purchase) for $398... can't beat that. I would love to have a compact xd in .40... the v10 is just awesome looking if you ask me. Oh not to mention there are more aftermarket parts for a Glock compared to the XDs.... I just got a conversion barrel so I can shoot 9mm and I got factory 33 round mags for it.... try that with other pistols under $500. I saw a high cap mag for a H&K... and I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price lol.

Good luck.

there are conversions for xds

Oh I'm sure there are... I didn't mean to make it sound like Glock is the only one.... I think I meant what I said more towards the mag capacity after I mentioned the conversion barrel.... but does it cost more for the conversion barrels for the XD? I paid $135 for a threaded barrel. I could have got the regular barrel for $100. anyways I am gonna hush now.... don't wanna hijack the thread.

Depends how small you want to go. Sticking with the caliber you listed, Glock 27 is hard to beat. I heard really good things about the Kahr PM40, though a bit pricey new. Cheaper than dirt has it for right $609. 46000 - Kahr Arms PM40 Semi Automatic Handgun .40 S&W 3" Barrel 5 Rounds White Bar Dot Sights Polymer Frame Matte Blackened Steel Slide You might be able to pick a used one around $500. Used is probably a good idea with Kahr cause it saves you the trouble of the recommended break in hopefully.

If your ok with carrying a really small pistol the Ruger LCP (.380) can't be beat. It's very small. Or the Ruger LC9 in 9mm.

Right now switched over to the PT145 Pro, about the size of a Glock 19, but it's a .45 ACP that hold 10 rounds. Cost is around $350. Once it's broken in it seems to function great. Taurus Millennium PT145 Pro Accuracy and Reliability Test - YouTube

Good luck.

I believe,and especially with "sub guns" ,a person needs to try them out at the range.Anything we sagest is what 'we' like. Now I like the G20 ,a 10mm large frame Glock. But I have big hands. I don't really like the LCP cause it's just tiny in my hand.
Then there is the recoil. Some hate recoil in pistols (me) and some don't mind at all.And different recoils for different calibers.Some hate the 40S&W recoil,too snappy.I don't mind the 45ACP ,as it's a mild recoil for me.
May be the size of the guns as much as anything.

So,really I would go rent some subs or drag a buddy with some subs out to shoot before spending too much. And I say that because the LCP is only $300 and change,not a big ticket gun

YMMV and good luck

I've owned and carried a XD40SC, full sized XD40 (with a threaded and extended 9mm conversion), PM40, MK9, LCP and a Glock 26. My current carry gun is a XD9SC, that I got NEW for $419 (and got the "Gear up" deal from Springfield, 3 extra mags and a mag holster). For ME the sub compact 40's are just too snappy and the LCP is downright painful to shoot, meaning I end up getting less practice than I should. I agree that you should try out the guns you are looking at to make sure they will work for YOU.

As a couple of others have said you really need to try some out, or at the very least hold them.

I am not a fan of compact versions of full size guns because more are not really that much smaller yet have the the downsides of smaller guns. I have shot and played with many from most brands and my biggest problem is I did not like they way they fit in my hand.

About 2 years ago now I was in a shop and they owner handed me a compact gun and said check this out. I put it in my hand for a sec and said I dont like compact guns and handed it back to him. A few min later my brain kicked in and I realized it felt quite good. So I asked to see it again and spent some time fondling it. Since it fit me so well I had to have one.

The key to the story is how it fits you. All the major brands are going to be comparable. The compact gun that fit me is the M&Pc, funny thing is I like it better then their full size.

if your going to pack it alot get a kahr pm 40 or pm 9 you will love it and you will carry it more than the others i sold my glock 27 and use my glock 23 for a home defence pistol but i carry the kahrs

OCSportman - depends on how different guns fit you, and how/where you are going to carry, you might consider the Glock 23 over the Glock 27. I had a Glock 27 and later traded it for the 23, because carried on the hip, they will conceal just as well (plus you get a longer grip). I carried my Glock 23 for many years, off-duty. The past 6 months, I find myself carrying mostly my Kahr P9 - as it is lighter and flatter than the Glock 23. Just my .02, but the decision is all yours..........

Yup you need to feel and shoot if you can. I find the XD for feel good in the hand. But feels top heavy to me. I prefer the weight/balance of the Glock. Only you can decide. All the guns u list I would own and carry with confidence.

Good info everyone. I'm not really looking for 9mm's or smaller, for protection I want a gun that will get the job done in all situations not just in some. Having a father and uncle that have treated meth addicts that took several shots from a 9mm before going down and a very stressful situation for the officers involved With their recommendation and that of several police officers they recommended a .40 and larger. I know some will argue either way on the subject of caliber, but this is what I am most comfortable searching for.

Good info everyone. I'm not really looking for 9mm's or smaller, for protection I want a gun that will get the job done in all situations not just in some. Having a father and uncle that have treated meth addicts that took several shots from a 9mm before going down and a very stressful situation for the officers involved With their recommendation and that of several police officers they recommended a .40 and larger. I know some will argue either way on the subject of caliber, but this is what I am most comfortable searching for.

There is NO such gun. It is just not possible to have that. If you read much on the subject you will see there are many people that have been shot or shot several times with large caliber guns including rifles and shotguns that still did not go down.

While there can be advantages to carrying larger guns there are also trade offs that is not the point I am trying to make. Just dont get caught up in the "because I have XX gun in XX caliber it will be 100% effective" hype.

Of course you should carry what gun you can actually shoot well in the caliber you feel you need to.

Glock calls theirs "subcompact" but they are not subcompact. Companies can slot whatever they have in whatever market segment. The width of their "subcompact" should immediately disqualify them in this category.

Me no Glock hater, have 19 and 26, I love them for what they are... but I cannot understand why consumers would just accept them and compare them with the "real" subcompacts.

Because, IMHO, there's a subcompact like a Glock which is a subcomp version of their fullsize gun. and then there's subcompact or simply tiny small guns Ala the LCP, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top