JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I met Darryl Bolke of Hardwired Tactical Shooting at the Primary and Secondary Summit in Utah both in 2020 and 2021, he's also part of the Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Roundup hosted by Gunsite in Arizona.

Darryl's background...

Darryl Bolke is a retired police officer from Southern California. He spent 17 years assigned to SWAT as their primary firearms instructor and armorer. He also worked numerous proactive crime suppression units and spent four years as a flight officer in the helicopter unit. He currently is still working as a security contractor. "DB" has been a professional firearms instructor for well over thirty years. Is co-founder of Hardwired Tactical Shooting and the Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Round Up at Gunsite. He also coordinates the Thunderstick Summit shotgun training event. He is a well known subject matter expert on combative revolvers, their history and use, as well as one of the largest collectors of historical fighting revolvers in the country.

Darryl had posted about some problems he and some others have been having with factory ammo, either over powered or not working. I contacted him and we developed some 38 and 357 rounds.

Darryl posted this a few weeks ago...

Awhile back I was contacted by Steve Shields from High Desert Cartridge Company. For those not familiar with High Desert Cartridge Company, they build a lot of ammunition for many of the top level tactical trainers in the country. Steve shares a love of revolvers like me and reached out to me to get some input from me to try to fill some holes for ammunition in the serious revolver training world. We finally have a solid snub load being built for the lightweight snubs that my entire circle of training people are carrying, so the big hole I saw was sort of the other end of the spectrum.
I have a passion for large N frame revolvers. Two absolute favorites are the 3.5" Model 27's and it's utilitarian counterpart the 4" Model 28. There has also been a huge resurgence in folks enjoying many of the older icons of police service pistols like the classic Model 19 and the iconic 3" Model 13's, as well as their Stainless Steel counterparts. The problem with trying to enjoy these guns is ammunition.
For the .357 Magnum chambered guns you are stuck with either shooting some sort of .38 Special load if you want less recoil or more controllable ammunition, or full house, loosen your fillings .357 loads. There are several issues with this situation. First, these are classic guns that cannot be warrantied or repaired. Second, shooting .38 in them leaves a distinct ring in their chambers of carbon build up that can cause issues. If you want to shoot full house .357 Magnum, the N frames and modern Rugers can take it, but it is not a great shooting experience for the user. The medium frame S&W's do not fair well with a heavy diet of .357 Magnum, and they are even less pleasant to shoot (actually, fairly miserable). Years ago when I was very heavy into shooting .44 Magnum's in 4" and shorter barrels I had a well known ammunition company load me a lot of training ammunition at reasonable .44 Special ballistics in .44 Magnum cases to solve this identical issue.

When Steve and I talked I told him I would like a load built to both train and carry in my larger .357 Magnum guns that had both a round I could train with and one that could be used for defensive purposes. We decided on using a 158 gr. Total Metal Jacket round for the training round that would also be suitable for work around vehicles and for an outdoors load. By using a fully jacketed round it would be clean and not lead guns up. The defensive load would be a 158 gr. Hornady XTP bullet loaded identical to the TMJ. We started with a load at about 1100 fps. It was far more pleasant than the 1400 fps stuff, but not what I was after. Steve lowered the velocity and changed some powders and we got down to a 900 fps load that was great in the N frames, but still a bit harsh in the lighter guns that were the ones that really need a reasonable loading. We went all the way down to around 700 fps. It was super pleasant to shoot but I found was too light in the larger guns. We settled on a a load that is running right into the high 700's to very low 800 fps range with Steve's testing.
I have been using my beater Model 28 4" as a test gun. It is an old cop gun, refinished (that is why it is shiny instead of the normal dull finish of Model 28's), and has a pretty light action from either pure long term use or some 1960's police armorer knew what he was doing. It was the most accurate with a slightly faster load and seemed to lose a bunch of accuracy with the super light load. The current load brought most of the accuracy back and is very tolerable to shoot in the smaller guns, including the J frames. It also shoots to Point of Aim at ten yards in my 2.25" fixed sight barrel 649-5.

Overall, I am really happy. I can shoot some of my favorite guns all day without hurting my very sensitive arthritic hands. The lower pressures and velocity of these loads will be great for those who do not relish the idea of destroying or damaging an irreplaceable revolver. Those guns that likely have a wonderful soul inside and many of these were handed down from older or deceased family members. I have two Model 19's that belonged to two of the most influential men in my life that have passed away that I want to enjoy, but not ruin. Running jacketed ammunition means cleaning is easy, especially after longer shooting and training sessions that this ammunition will allow for. One of the pictures attached is the last target I shot today.

target.jpg

After shooting close to a hundred rounds of .357 Magnum I fired the last 6 into a head at ten yards rapidly stroking the trigger. What is of note is that none of the rounds are low, which means there was no flinch. Six smooth presses of that wonderful trigger and being able to focus only on stroking the trigger smoothly to the rear, and sight alignment without worrying about pain at the end of the trigger pull. That is how training becomes positive live fire training and not building negative repetitions.

We are in the works in developing a solid 125gr TMJ and a jacketed 148gr wadcutter velocities for snubs...should be on the shelf by September.

I have been thinking about buying some factory 357 but they want more for 357 than for 223. So of course I load my own 357.

Revolvers being obsolete most guys have to read up on what gives the best performance out of the gun, then figure out what they can handle.

My personal favorite for all 38 special Revolvers and 38 special autos is the 148 grain hollow base wadcutter. Accurate and more than enough power plus the wadcutter does just what it says, cuts a perfect hole.

While I don't shoot a lot of 357 magnum I only shoot 158 grain jacketed bullets at a modest speed loaded with 2400 or Blue dot . The 125s have a history of cracking the forcing cones in the lighter K frames and Ruger security six guns.

First double action centerline revolver I ever owned was a Ruger Security Six, $85 for it nib.

I dig what you're doing. Is there something specific about the 158gr that translates to the accuracy? Or was it just the sweet spot for finding available training and defensive projectiles that look like they will stick around for a while?
It was both. Running the load in many 357 revolvers, both 3, 4 and snub length...then getting them all to print accurately. Not a quick thing to do. Many different loads...powders and charge weights to go through. The projectiles are readily available, so long term we are good.
'
Now it starts all over with the 38 snub loads in both 125gr and the 148 jacketed wadcutters.

As it stands now, our 125gr 38 Special TMJ readily will go through windshields with very little to no deviation...as witnessed in last weekends Revolver Operation class. We did some extensive ballistic testing with student loads as well as showing what our loads do, as one student used our loads for the class.

Old Smiths were built with a barrel twist that was best with 158 grain bullets but when it came to target rounds the 146 was the most accurate. People don't think much about barrel twist in handguns these days.

For .357 I settled on 158gr SWC's at 1000 fps out of my 4" GP 100 for my target/plinking load. I like them well enough I was shooting Bowling pins with them a couple weeks ago. I have found that most people don't like heavier than 125gr bullets in 38 special stubbies so I keep those down to about 700 fps.

:Dis a revolver your first choice in handguns for a potential gunfight?
I would not feel undergunned packing a revolver, and do so quite a bit.

Here we go into the auto vs revolver debacle...in 3.. 2...1...

Irregardless of the handgun, revolver or auto everyone should research what's best for their make and model...being obsolete has nothing to do with it.

I return you now to the topic at hand.

I would not feel undergunned packing a revolver, and do so quite a bit.

Here we go into the auto vs revolver debacle...in 3.. 2...1...

Irregardless of the handgun, revolver or auto everyone should research what's best for their make and model...being obsolete has nothing to do with it.

I return you now to the topic at hand.
:D old guys that grew up using revolvers have a lot of confidence in their ability to use them. It doesn't matter that no police department issues revolvers for the cops on duty and no military has used revolvers for decades, revolvers still work for what they are made for.

I love my revolvers and it took huge expenditures of ammo to be a fair shot. Even hunted deer with a revolver years ago, successful too.

Wadcutters that I didn't have to make would be awesome. I'll be keeping an eye out
Several years ago, a guy from Idaho showed up at one of the WAC gun shows with a bunch of weird stuff. Including some bags of jacketed, cannelured 148 gr. wadcutters. They were cheap, I bought a couple of bags. I forget what brand they were, Xtreme, maybe? Discontinued in any case. The wadcutter with a bit of steam behind it is a lesser known but decent self defense bullet. They rip a pretty big channel of tissue when contact is made.

I have only one .357 revolver these days, a Model 28 that I bought new in the 1980's. I don't drive it hard. I only shoot .357 loads in it; I don't care for the afore-mentioned carbon ring.

Some time ago, I came into a Smith & Wesson Model 66-4, w/ 3 inch bbl. It turned out to be a fairly rare catalog number and people were willing to pay an obscene amount of money for it. But before I knew this, I did shoot it a bit, but only a light load that I made up for it. Which consisted of 158 gr. Hornaday swaged lead RN bullet, powered by 5.0 gr. of VV N32C, which developed 707 fps. It was a very civilized, mild and accurate load.

Lately, I've been wanting one of those Henry single shot rifles in .357 Magnum. I sprung for one in .45-70 and like it a lot. But to date, I haven't found a retailer around here that will stock one to sell. NEF used to make .357 accessory barrels to mount on existing SB1 or 2 single shot frames, but the Henry is higher quality than those.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top