JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those who dont know me I worked at Outdoor Marksman before they went to belly up then started NW Ammo before we parted ways. What are some wants that you guys the customer are looking for in ammo world besides cheap. Im looking for your thoughts and opinions on bulk target ammo. What can be improved on the average target round? I have my own thoughts an opinions but in the end its the customers opinion that truly matter

Reloads suck.
I don't like the ammo "deals" when they are on "factory reloads"
Quality ammo at a reasonable price is all one should hope for.

Customer service is probably the best thing to worry about. I have dealt with you several times on ammo deals and been very happy.

I think that you are asking everyone for imput says a lot for how you operate.
Are you starting an ammo company? If so, I will be first in line to purchase from you.

coctailer,

That's the problem. Everyone's reload is absolute garbage along with the customer service that comes along with their ammo. Low quality reloads have ruined the market. Most companies produce a low power reload that is crap. As long as the bullets fall out the end of the barrel then they don't care. A quality reload with a no questions asked 100% guarantee is just as good brand new ammo. The key is having the customer enjoy their trip to the range with some money left in their pocket after the trip. Last time i check, taking care and enjoying the interaction with your customers is one of the most important and enjoyable parts of business. In the end it is the customers are the ones who put food on the table. Quality service, quality ammo and competitive prices will win the day.

If you are offering factory new and reloads. I think it would be a good idea to offer components as well. Especially cheaper that the big chain story. I for one have searched high and low in the metro area for a good source for powder, primers, and bullets. And i still end up at the gun show to get my deals. When i would much rather spend my money locally than a road show.

If you are offering factory new and reloads. I think it would be a good idea to offer components as well. Especially cheaper that the big chain story. I for one have searched high and low in the metro area for a good source for powder, primers, and bullets. And i still end up at the gun show to get my deals. When i would much rather spend my money locally than a road show.

What he said! Components are scarce and way over priced.

A quality reload with a no questions asked 100% guarantee is just as good brand new ammo. The key is having the customer enjoy their trip to the range with some money left in their pocket after the trip. Last time i check, taking care and enjoying the interaction with your customers is one of the most important and enjoyable parts of business. In the end it is the customers are the ones who put food on the table. Quality service, quality ammo and competitive prices will win the day.

I think you gave yourself some of the best advice right there.

I have no problems paying a bit more for a reputable a]deal for quality goods. What I hate is all the jacking around on shipping and handling costs. With USPS flat rate shipping, for example, those should be fairly set costs in the business plan. Nothing like getting to the end of an online transaction and finding out you are about to be hosed for triple the shipping of other companies.

An active customer service link to an email address that somebody actually readsis nice. If there is a website, a place for customers to post opinions/experiences like Midway and others do would be helpful.

As a reloader, hazmat fees kill, but if you are fairly local I wouldn't mind going for a long ride a few times a year to pick up components at a brick and mortar location -- even if not a fancy location.

If you have a source for range brass, I'd even buy it uncleaned. Saves me from bending my sore back picking it up, and I enjoy cleaning the stuff and looking it over.

As others said, good stuff reasonable with a smile, beats cheap and useless with no face.

Good luck with your venture.

Low quality reloads have ruined the market. Most companies produce a low power reload that is crap. As long as the bullets fall out the end of the barrel then they don't care. A quality reload with a no questions asked 100% guarantee is just as good brand new ammo.

I agree, I can build better bullets than I can buy, but reloads always seem to be junk. Except for Black Hills, however their reloads cost more than most new ammo. I would buy premium reloads with a heavy target bullet or varmint specific hunting loads for a small premium over basic bulk ammo. And +1 for a good local (NW) components dealer. I have never found a one stop shop for my reloading needs.

I agree, I can build better bullets than I can buy, but reloads always seem to be junk. Except for Black Hills, however their reloads cost more than most new ammo. I would buy premium reloads with a heavy target bullet or varmint specific hunting loads for a small premium over basic bulk ammo. And +1 for a good local (NW) components dealer. I have never found a one stop shop for my reloading needs.

My idea of reloading is inserting a fresh magazine.:gun11::gun10::gun01::gun03::s0133:

I have no problems paying a bit more for a reputable a]deal for quality goods. What I hate is all the jacking around on shipping and handling costs. With USPS flat rate shipping, for example, those should be fairly set costs in the business plan. Nothing like getting to the end of an online transaction and finding out you are about to be hosed for triple the shipping of other companies.

An active customer service link to an email address that somebody actually readsis nice. If there is a website, a place for customers to post opinions/experiences like Midway and others do would be helpful.

As a reloader, hazmat fees kill, but if you are fairly local I wouldn't mind going for a long ride a few times a year to pick up components at a brick and mortar location -- even if not a fancy location.

If you have a source for range brass, I'd even buy it uncleaned. Saves me from bending my sore back picking it up, and I enjoy cleaning the stuff and looking it over.

As others said, good stuff reasonable with a smile, beats cheap and useless with no face.

Good luck with your venture.

When it comes to ammo, I probably buy less than 3 boxes a year with the rest all being "hand crafted" ammo I make myself. I would love to be able to buy from a local source but for some reason I always run into one of two issues with them. Either the reloading component business is an afterthought and their prices are way out of line or they stock only what THEY like, not what I need.

Because of this I do all my component purchasing online. As for the statement "Hazmat fees kill", that isn't always the case. Consider Benchrest primers on the shelf at a local shop for $60+ per box of 1,000 versus the "online source" where they sell for just under $40. With the difference in price, two boxes pays the hazmat fee and part of the freight. Add a few boxes of Wolf or Tula primers that sell for around $20 from the same source versus $30 + from the "Locals", and the savings adds up even faster as the hazmat fee will cover 50# of powder and primers. On my last order the hazmat fee worked out to be $0.50 per pound of powder or box of primers. Add your favorite powder, usually a minimum of $5 per pound cheaper than the local guy and you have not only saved money, you get exactly what you want. And by the way, you don't have to spend any money driving around looking for what you need. Consider the savings on gas too.

If all you do is look at the fee, without looking at the "bottom line" you're right, they suck.

Reloading is a niche market. Apparently it's profitable otherwise there wouldn't be any Powder Valley's, Graf's, Widner's, etc. It would sure be nice to see one here in the Pacific Northwest. I'd just spend the hazmat fee on a tank of gas (well, maybe 1/4 tank) and pick up my needs from the local "Reloading Shop" They would get my $2,000+ per year I spend on powder, primers, and bullets, not the "Online Company". To the OP, consider that for your business plan.

I'd like to 3rd or 4th or 5th the components idea. If you could go to some place that carried like 5-6 complete lines of bullets including lead, all the usual powders in 1lb and some 8lb jugs, primers at a post 2008 price along with a decent selection of ammo I think you might be onto something. Especially if you can keep items in stock

Also, when a "Retailer" specializes, let's say in powder and primers, they usually order in sufficient quantities to have their orders shipped via LTL Common Carriers. This, in itself reduces the cost as there is no separate "hazmat fee". A well managed inventory can be replenished on a monthly basis, not having to rely on the price gouging that UPS is prone to. As for stocking "Everything", that's not practical even for a niche marketer but for the real "oddball" items there's no reason they can't special order. If that "Oddball" suddenly becomes a frequent purchase then it can be added to the stock as demand warrants.

A retailer should consider that an avid shooter/reloader could well be purchasing the equivalent of one to two guns per year in reloading components alone. Even at reduced prices there's more gross profit from these items than there is in a firearm, percentage wise.

I know I've spent close to $3000 on reloading items(components and tools) this year and have done around 10,000 rounds in various calibers. Probably only a 1/4 or less was done locally do to poor selection

I've just gotten started with reloading my own ammo and I love it. I also love to tie my own flies. Even though I live on the coast, I wish oh wish I could find a great place in the valley to buy my supplies. I would much rather drive and actually see and touch a good selection of reloading supplies at decent prices than shop online and hope I get what I wanted. Good luck to you.

I would much rather drive and actually see and touch a good selection of reloading supplies at decent prices than shop online and hope I get what I wanted. Good luck to you.

If you're buying reloading supplies on line and then wonder whether you'll get what you want you're shopping at the wrong places. In many cases the "online" sources have far more knowledge of reloading than the local shop where they just put the supplies on the shelf.

All online outlets have a phone too. If there is any question just call and talk with a Customer Service Rep. I get all my supplies from Powder Valley and couldn't be happier with their service. They even tell me which product will be in what box.

I too would like to be able to drive to a store and get my supplies because I like the gratification of touching it and taking it home instantly. Now if we could just find the selection, supply, and reasonable prices. On price, reasonable, not necessarily the cheapest.

Who knows, I may even give Cabela's a try. In a couple months there will be a new store within 3 miles of my house. Maybe I'll even ride my bike to save gas.

If you're buying reloading supplies on line and then wonder whether you'll get what you want you're shopping at the wrong places. In many cases the "online" sources have far more knowledge of reloading than the local shop where they just put the supplies on the shelf.

All online outlets have a phone too. If there is any question just call and talk with a Customer Service Rep. I get all my supplies from Powder Valley and couldn't be happier with their service. They even tell me which product will be in what box.

Thanks for that info. I hadn't heard of Powder Valley. I also don't usually think of calling and asking for guidance.

...What are some wants... Im looking for your thoughts and opinions on bulk target ammo.

Here's what I am always looking for...
-Military Surplus ammo
-Components -- hardcast lead bullets, new brass

If there's a local company which is competitively priced with AIM/J&G/Wideners, with good customer service, but is closer... its a no brainer for me.

Mookman's fly tying made me think of this
OK so the swamp man opens a "local" storefront,brick and mortar,coffee pot and the whole shabang,why can't he have a web site also? Sell to others online?

We have a Fly shop up here in PA that has thee biggest selection of tying supplies I have ever seen.
He also sells more online than to walk ins

So you get the best of both worlds.The locals get to feel up the gir...I mean products and you do a little shipping too. (ah come on,in Oregon you could have girls there too)
I hate buying online.Initially,I am always afraid I'll either get ripped off or I wont like the quality,then get ripped off trying to return the item.

Good luck with this.

Coffee - Wahoo. AM i there. I am in western WA. if he opened a shop semi-close. i would go. I can take my wife shopping in portland. Then i can more even more reloading stuff.

I too have bought from you before in the past, and have had good dealings.

What is your new business going to be called? Is it going to be in Salem again?

Keep us updated.

Stay Safe.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews