JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For you fellow Blue guys, who own Dillons and single stage presses, what do you use the single stage presses for?

I never want one of anything. I want a minimum of twenty, and a max of two thousand.

Dillon, all the way. Don't own a single stage, a bicycle or a small pickup.

I load 5.7x28 on a turret, (pretty much a single stage). I would not want to load that round on the 650.

Another factor to consider when starting out is how many different cartridges you plan to load. If all you ever plan to load is 9mm or 40 S&W, or .45 ACP, then the cost of the Dillon isn't too bad acquiring the required dies, conversion kit, and shell plate (to hold the dies). But if you are loading a half dozen different cartridges with different size case rims, you need to acquire not only dies for each one, but also conversion kits and shell plates and if you are serious about rapid changeover from one cartridge to another, you really need a powder measure for each one as well. This gets a little spendy, especially for someone starting out that isn't even certain that it is something they will do on an ongoing basis. (handloading is a rewarding and interesting hobby, but it is NOT for everyone) I still suggest starting with a good quality single stage press and go from there. If you determine that you want to up your production of the cartridges you shoot a lot, then go for the progressive press.

To reiterate, the rock chucker is king. Progressive presses are for mass production. Basically, all that can be made is sub-par factory ammunition. So why reload if that's all you want to shoot?

For you fellow Blue guys, who own Dillons and single stage presses, what do you use the single stage presses for?

I have 2 550b's and a rock chucker.
I use the rock chucker for 30.06, I don't go thru more than 500 a year.
I also use the rock chucker to size/de cap .223 brass, then I can trim, debur and clean primer pockets and tumble before they go in the dillon.

E7FD2AFB-A6CC-4150-AABD-D31DFB6AE270_zps362ealtg.jpg

To reiterate, the rock chucker is king. Progressive presses are for mass production. Basically, all that can be made is sub-par factory ammunition. So why reload if that's all you want to shoot?

The dillon is capable of far better than "sub-par factory ammo"
These are the cheapest 55grain fmj bullets I could find, for plinking ammo I say they don't do too bad.

These are 50 grain v-max bullets, I don't think I could produce a much more consistent round on a single stage. I know I couldn't load 400/hr on a single stage.

185C5FD5-9147-4A02-A85D-96C401488561_zps5wrdw9p1.jpg B6624D60-CDC4-40F2-BAA3-F27D53C360F7-3733-000002EE3B355BA7_zps6bf9cfe9.jpg

Rock Chuckers are great presses. The 550 Dillon is a great beginners press because it is like a single stage press without the need to change the dies between steps. I have had one since 1991 and have loaded 38/357, 9mm, 40S@W, 45acp, 223, 308, 30/06, 300 Weatherby mag and 338 Lapua over the years.

Have you ever loaded a rifle round? The fancy dandy process of a progressive is kinda lost on those there, especially when people (most it seems) tumble, decap, size, trim, prime, tumble again, then go all postal charging and seating on their "progressive". lolz.. then tumble again.
You make me laugh.
I never tumble again and have never found a reason to retumble.

Here are my processes

Target ammo

1) Tumble

2) Reload on a progressive

Premium self defense or hunting ammo

1) Tumble

2) Resize/deprime

3) Clean primer pockets and if needed, trim to size (really helps to keep brass sorted as to x of firings)

4) Chamfer if trimmed

5) Prime at RCBS Priming station

6) Charge with powder, usually hand weighed

7) Bullet seated

8) Taper crimp

9) If prior mil spec crimped primer rifle ammo I seal the primers with ladies nail polish and let dry before packing it away

That works also:)
My last batch of .38's (Lee 105's over a pinch of Red Dot) were so sooty the case walls looked like I'd used black powder.. they cleaned up plenty good, quick and easy just washing and rinsing them.
Gonna have to resume using a bit more powder for proper seal.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top