JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I am really digging the .500 JRH (aka .500 Special) cartridge. It is a little more spunky than a .480 Ruger, without going full artillery shell with the .500 Magnum. At the present, I have a small cache of .500 Magnum and one remaining box of the shorter cartridge. Trouble is, it isn't an inexpensive round, nor widely available in many loads. The solution would seem to be handloading. I also abhor clutter, and me and my better half have been dramatically decreasing said, for general tidiness, but gearing up for a relocation.

Questions:

• What is the minimum equipment necessary to produce safe, effective, .500 JRH cartridges in low volume? What gear do you recommend?
  • Good technical information and/or training to use said?
  • I plan on saving the spent Special casings the next time I going target shooting. Presumably saving the Magnums would help too, but if not, will toss.
  • I'd like to develop a load that has a very heavy bullet, traveling at relatively slow(er) velocity. A modern "manstopper" round, if you will. Ideas on how to get there?
Secondary questions:

• What am I adding, parts/clutter-wise, if I was thinking of loading another revolver cartridge? I've got plenty of .44 Magnum (the handgun cartridge I shoot the most), but no supply is inexhaustible. And .44 Special is hit or miss at best locally, so I order small amount on the Intratubes at times.
  • A little farther afield; I'd like to add a Webley Mark IV to the mix at some point. Alas, most specimens I find are "shaved" for .45 ACP / .45 Auto Rim. Unmolested examples are far more rare. Would handloading .45 Auto Rim to Webley specifications be a viable solution? Since I would already be setup, the idea crossed my mind.
Thanks much!

The ideal pistol press.
If you can find one.
C & H 3 station pistol press.
attachment.jpg

Cartridges like that are some of the easiest to load. I understand about the clutter. I'm trying to get rid of clutter too.

I had one of those Lee hand presses at one time. Neat design, small and handy, but to be honest I wouldn't recommend one unless you're just loading a few round around the campfire at deer camp or have absolutely no room at all. It's a small step up from a Lee Loader kit, compact but not terribly fun to use.

For a very simple setup that wouldn't take a lot of room, but would still be usable and user friendly, I'd go with a cheap single-stage press along the lines of an RCBS Jr. I picked up an old one recently for a friend, for only $30. They're great for rounds like that and last forever. I used one for years when I was younger, mounted it to a board then brought it out of the closet and clamped it to the counter with a C-clamp when I wanted to use it. A basic powder measure, scales, and a set of dies, and you're good to go.

What is the minimum equipment necessary to produce safe, effective, .500 JRH cartridges in low volume? What gear do you recommend?
$150. This is probably the cheapest smallest setup to get into handloading. If you can spend more Id get RCBS but it probably makes no real difference....
I'd like to develop a load that has a very heavy bullet, traveling at relatively slow(er) velocity. A modern "manstopper" round, if you will. Ideas on how to get there?
I would start out learning on a basic caliber you shoot a lot of, maybe 9mm, 45acp. I would recommend a cheap chronograph if you want to build specific velocity ammo.
What am I adding, parts/clutter-wise, if I was thinking of loading another revolver cartridge?
A set of caliber specific dies takes up very little space. You will need a shelf or a box to put your stuff in. Also powder, primers, bullets and cases as much as you care to store.

I have for years mounted a single stage press to an 8x12" piece of plywood. this lets me C clamp it to any bench. And store it away when I need a clear bench.

add a die set, and your savings will pay for the equipment in about 7 boxes of ammo.
500 JRH is one of those calibers that you can save money quickly by reloading. DR

Its a rabbit hole. Those who fell into it are good a justifying purchasing more and better equipment to themselves and their spouses. If you decide to succumb to this you'll need supplies and equipment (note: there is no such thing as 'testing' the water unless one has very strong discipline.)

That was my first press when I started loading .38spls. I still have it; I should sell it someday or find a reloading apprentice.
I've loaded on this model press, without the Breech Lock for over 35 years. Many calibers in those years, .380, .38, .357, .38 Super, 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, .223, 5.56 and .300 Blackout. That ole press has probably a million strokes on it…. Bought it on a special from Lee directly, wanna say it was 9.95 shipped to my door. Talk about a good investment. One day I'll replace it with the Breech Lock, just don't have the heart to retire the ole faithful girl.

Thanks all for the great thoughts. Keep'em coming.

Parenthetically, I've been looking at instructional materials. Along those lines:

• Recommendation on a guide for that specific cartridge (.500 JRH)?
  • General reloading book(s), instruction, et al., that is recommended?
Thanks again. :)

So, I am really digging the .500 JRH (aka .500 Special) cartridge. It is a little more spunky than a .480 Ruger, without going full artillery shell with the .500 Magnum. At the present, I have a small cache of .500 Magnum and one remaining box of the shorter cartridge. Trouble is, it isn't an inexpensive round, nor widely available in many loads. The solution would seem to be handloading. I also abhor clutter, and me and my better half have been dramatically decreasing said, for general tidiness, but gearing up for a relocation.

Questions:

• What is the minimum equipment necessary to produce safe, effective, .500 JRH cartridges in low volume? What gear do you recommend?
  • Good technical information and/or training to use said?
  • I plan on saving the spent Special casings the next time I going target shooting. Presumably saving the Magnums would help too, but if not, will toss.
  • I'd like to develop a load that has a very heavy bullet, traveling at relatively slow(er) velocity. A modern "manstopper" round, if you will. Ideas on how to get there?
Secondary questions:

• What am I adding, parts/clutter-wise, if I was thinking of loading another revolver cartridge? I've got plenty of .44 Magnum (the handgun cartridge I shoot the most), but no supply is inexhaustible. And .44 Special is hit or miss at best locally, so I order small amount on the Intratubes at times.
  • A little farther afield; I'd like to add a Webley Mark IV to the mix at some point. Alas, most specimens I find are "shaved" for .45 ACP / .45 Auto Rim. Unmolested examples are far more rare. Would handloading .45 Auto Rim to Webley specifications be a viable solution? Since I would already be setup, the idea crossed my mind.
Thanks much!
There are a ton of single stage presses that have a small footprint. I load 6 calibers on a small progressive and it is presently on a single 4 drawer desk with 2 small totes of supplies. The calibers you mention really aren't high volume shooters in my mind, I don't think you'll get too cluttered.

Thanks all for the great thoughts. Keep'em coming.

Parenthetically, I've been looking at instructional materials. Along those lines:

• Recommendation on a guide for that specific cartridge (.500 JRH)?
  • General reloading book(s), instruction, et al., that is recommended?
Thanks again. :)
The two books I like best for beginners are Lees Modern Reloading, and Lymans Metalic Reloading. The instructions will be the same for any straight wall pistol cartridge. What will be specific is the measurements of the finished round and load info. I doubt there is a lot written about the 500 JRH. The load info may have to come from the manufacture of the 500 JRH. Or you may fine the people that make the die set has load info. Good Luck DR

Here's some load information I found on castboolits, always good to have a starting point.

And a couple of informative links about reloading dies…

The google-fu is strong in this one today. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top