JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Tick Licker" and "Spouse Transfer" all in one thread...
1697291190972.png

So I just made a new purchase at Sportsman Warehouse the other day and was told for the first time that I cannot ask for help when filling out the forms. Which is fine as I dont need it

HOWEVER

My wife has a certified disability that pertains to reading and writing. Not gonna go in detail but a childhood trauma makes certain reading and writing pretty difficult for her. As her husband of 27 years Im usually present to help her understand things and has worked for all our years. I ONLY ask the questions presented and might have to word it a bit different for her to understand, but I NEVER answer for her.

Anyways Sportsman Warehouse says for her to buy a firearm SHE has to pick 3 COMPLETE STRANGERS (NO family or friends) to help her read the information being presented. Isnt this a gross violation of HIPAA? I mean as a stranger would you just go up and do this without a reasonable explanation?

Anywho I'm just going to purchase the gun then transfer/gift it to her as in Oregon Im allowed to do so. Is there any forms I need to fill out? The legalese is a little bland for myself to comprehend lol.

Thanks in advance
First rule of buying guns at a store is to ignore the minimum wage employee whose only authority they have in life is regarding filling out of 4473 forms, and other than that they barely know their butt from a hole in the ground.

Check Oregon law, but in Washington. I can buy guns all day and my wife gets to use them too (community property, can use/carry any of them she pleases, she, according to the law, owns them as well)

Literally a blind person could buy a gun, legally, and you're telling me the blind person couldn't get assistance putting their information in the correct spaces. That employee is just a moron.

I'm not saying he doesn't. There's a word for that, suspicious.
Not suspicious enough for Cabela's to deny a sale, apparently. And as stated, they have a specific procedure for exactly this kind of scenario.

I'm very surprised there are people on this forum who view blind people as ineligible to be armed, even though they won't explicitly say so.

I'm very surprised there are people on this forum who view blind people as ineligible to be armed, even though they won't explicitly say so.
I'm not against it. More curious. If you can't see well enough to read, why would you want a gun? It's like a blind guy buying a Hustler mag. Why?

Heck! I will. 😁 How exactly is a blind person supposed to properly identify a target? Their backstop? Accurately aim at said target? Identify If the dark shape in front of them is holding a pencil, a knife, a handgun or a toothbrush(?)

Just like I don't particularly think a blind person should be driving a car, either.

I'm not against it. More curious. If you can't see well enough to read, why would you want a gun? It's like a blind guy buying a Hustler mag. Why?
A nudie mag requires sight to be useful as intended, a rifle does not. To be ACCURATE and PRECISE, vision certainly would help, however; it's not required for use.

I could hand you a hot rod magazine and tell you it's a hustler in a dark room and you couldn't tell me it wasn't. I very likely can't hand you a Mossberg 500 and tell you it's an AR.

Heck! I will. 😁 How exactly is a blind person supposed to properly identify a target? Their backstop? Accurately aim at said target? Identify If the dark shape in front of them is holding a pencil, a knife, a handgun or a toothbrush(?)

Just like I don't particularly think a blind person should be driving a car, either.
Driving is not a right, owning a gun is.

I think you are confused with the terminology, be blind is not an absolute as in can't see anything, total darkness.
That was what I brought up when this first started. The legal definition of "blind" so that you are disabled is what my vision is with no correction. If they could not correct mine I would be able to say I was legally blind. HUGE difference between that and someone totally blind as in they can't even fill out the forms.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top