JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to mention the fact that (per your initial post) you just bought a firearm there and thus they are well aware that you are not a prohibited purchaser (I.e. not in need of a straw purchase…).
Sadly when dealing with large entities like this common sense often goes out the window. They have their "policy" and no mater what happens the robots follow the policy. Back when Wally was still selling guns here Wife took a shine to a gun. Bought it, wanted to of course buy some ammo. Policy was they could not sell the gun and the ammo together and the manager had to walk the gun out to the car. So I bought the ammo, she bought the gun, we all marched out to the car together. Back when I used to buy a lot of .22 ammo at Wally the register would stop them, asking is ammo for hand gun? If yes is buyer over 21? Some of the clerks would just push the button twice and make the sale. Some would freeze up reading the screen unsure what to do. When they would freeze I would say, "yes its for a hand gun and yes I am over 21." Most of them would just smile and hit the button a couple times.

I've been one of those random people helping a disabled person buy a gun. He was a completely blind man but wanted a rifle. Since he quite literally can't read or write I was more than happy to assist him. So yes, in fact, random people will help your wife if asked.
Now that I would understand if the shop had a problem. What is a completely blind person buying a rifle for? :confused:

I agree he has the same rights but, shops are afraid of straw purchases. That would scream straw purchase as what is he going to do with the rifle if he is totally blind? That one I would understand some shop saying sorry, no.
Just remember that everything someone says before "but" is BS. Again, I don't care on my end what that individual wanted to do with it. I don't even know if he passed his BGC. My role was finished once the 4473 was filled out and answers/info verified. Maybe he wanted to protect his home? Maybe he wanted to fondle it and listen to Kenny G.

It's the store's right to refuse business if they choose to. They did not choose to.

Just purchase the gun yourself and give it to her. Immediate family is exempt from the transfer BS as long as she is legal to possess a firearm.

Most are being much kinder to Sportsman's that I am. The three strangers thing is straight out made up and is a perfect example of arbitrary and capricious requirements. It's sad to see those that benefit from the second amendment jumping on the totalitarian and fascist train. It's not a straw purchase and the store and it's employee can go f themselves.

I'm no fan of Sportsman's and their policies and attitude toward M114. I had quite a bit of negative feedback from them before the vote. They refused to get onboard until they had sponsorship from NRA, through OSSA, before they would voice any opposition, and that wasn't until just a few weeks before the election.

Just purchase the gun yourself and give it to her. Immediate family is exempt from the transfer BS as long as she is legal to possess a firearm.
That is the definition of a straw purchase and will land you in jail. If you purchase a gun FOR another person (even if they can lawfully buy the gun themselves) you just violated the same law as Hunter Biden, lying on a 4473.

Ask the LAPD officer who bought his dad (legal to own guns) a Kimber because he could get a better deal through the department. There are tons of other examples of this out there (often by cops). Yes, if you purchase a firearm and then decide to gift it to a qualified family member later then this may qualify (not legal advice). Some believe that YOU could purchase the gun with the intent that it is a gift (for a lawful possessor) but this is murky.

Respectfully, some folks here don't have any insight as to the issues larger stores like Sportsmans and the big C have to go through with some customers. They get frequent straw purchase attempts. What one store does can effect the entire company. They get the people who LGS's won't sell to. They get good gun buyers and lots of folks who are not "gun people" or think they can slip through the cracks of gun buying. Then they get bashed because the won't do a 3 day release. I hear the stories from someone who works at a large store.

Yea this rubbed me the wrong way. Its the principle of the matter. Anyone know of any good mom and pops in the Albany/Corvallis area you'd recommend. Gonna throw them some new business.

By the way love this place so far, ya'll are QUICK
Tick Licker in Corvallis. My go to LGS and great folks

LOL I didn't get it until I looked back at the thread title. first few sip of coffee and all. Sure as heck!
"Spouse Transfer"
More disturbing... according to OR law you can only do a private party transfer to an immediate family member...

If you're not talking firearms... that'll keep a guy up at night! 🤣

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top