JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What a maroon... I never claimed to be the designer, but that doesn't keep you from making stuff up.

Did you read the comment earlier in the thread where the guy owns one that goes off by itself? So you are accusing him of modifying the trigger? Shooter98, were you aware that you are being accused of modifying the trigger dangerously or very poor maintenance of your rifle. How do you feel about that?

Remember just a few years ago, where the cigarette companies "proved" that smoking doesn't cause cancer? Remember all the studies? Apparently those are also "true", because the company said so...

Remington's own internal memos from back in the 40's show that that there were concerns with just this issue. Even the designer (not me!) noted the possibility of a problem at the time and suggested a change in the design which Remington dismissed a too expensive. Testing on the line also revealed this issue.

For those earlier in the thread who were making up percentages out of thin air (and not calculating them correctly even using their own made-up numbers), an internal Remington memo shows that 133 rifles were returned to Remington between July 79 - Jan 80 due to this issue. That represents 0.16% of the production numbers shown in the memo at the time. In addition, not everyone would be returning the rifle (some can't be bothered, or don't care, etc.), so the percentage of rifles having issues is likely higher than that.

Some quotes from articles are below. Note that in an internal memo from their attorney, he states that they tested some rifles and verified the problem and he doesn't mention that they were "modified" or poorly maintained in any way, which is something that an attorney would usually be sure to point out. And he is balancing the income (cost to correct) vs. liability.

A 1968 Consumer Reports analysis of varmint rifles took a totally unmodified 700 and tested it out (along with a bunch of other rifles), and found that it would fire when removing the safety, and this persisted until it "wore in".

--------

But as early as December 3, 1946, with the gun still in the testing stage, lead engineer Merle "Mike" Walker—who would later receive a patent for the 700 series' firing mechanism—wrote a memo warning of a "theoretical unsafe condition" involving the gun's safety; the mechanism that is supposed to keep the gun from firing accidentally.

Four months later, in an April 9, 1947 memo entitled "M/721 Pilot Line Inspection," Test Engineer Wayne Leek wrote, "This situation can be very dangerous from a safety and functional point of view."

----------

But other documents show the company has been able to duplicate the condition. On March 18, 1975, Research Manager John Linde wrote to a Houston gunsmith that Remington "could duplicate" fire control problems on a Remington 700 that had been returned to the factory. And in a March 5, 1980 memo, a Remington employee named E. Hooton, Jr. notes that of 133 rifles returned to the factory for inadvertent firing in the second half of 1979, 44 of the complaints—one-third of the total—were "verified."

---------

While executives acknowledged in a 1948 memo that Walker's change "is the best design," they concluded, "its disadvantages lay in the high expenditure required to make the conversion."

The same memo tallied the additional cost. It came to 5 ½ cents per gun.

On August 31, 1948, Remington patent attorney A. J. Greene laid out the choice in a memo entitled "Model 721 Safety."

"Our usual potential liability for the safety of our product is augmented somewhat by our knowledge that some Model 721 safeties have misfunctioned (sic)," Greene wrote. "However, our liability does not seem out of proportion to the advantage of retaining the present...construction, pending receipt of further complaints from the field."

According to Rich Barber, the decision was pivotal. "They identified a dangerous condition and they still went ahead with production." Barber said.

Speaking of MORONS! What did I make up?? 1948-2011 gun was not even in production that year. R&D means research and development! But I am sure you already new that because you are the MAN!

I have fired 2 Ruger 22 Standard models that would fire while on safe.
I also pointed this out to the owners.
Pretty accurate but the most awkward takedown of all time. (my opinion).

Well, Remington had a major problem with the triggers on their model 600's, too. Little known, but they would fire sometimes when you closed the bolt. I always thought I did somethng wrong when checking my reloads for feeding in my basement bedroom as a teenager...Boom! Hole thru door, paneling and cement dust filled the air. Sis screamed my name at the top of the stairs, and with no answer thought I had shot myself, somehow. Nope, with ears ringing bigtime I exited and climbed the stairs feeling like a jerk. Years later I learned of the often occurance of what happened to me and the eventual recall of that trigger. Rifle going off in a small room is something you don't forget!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top