JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently, the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) has been running a major smear campaign against the Remington firearms company claiming that their Model 700 rifle can fire without pulling the trigger. They have aired this program numerous times on their affiliate CNBC TV. They claim that the Model 700 can be made to fire with the safety on or while taking the safety off.
Of course they hunted (a pun!) for people who had been "victims" of this product. They had one woman who accidently shot and killed her son. She claimed that the gun fired while she was unloading it. No matter what - she was 100% to blame! The number one rule of shooting is: "Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot!" There should never be anybody injured by a any gun even if it fires unexpectedly if you WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
I'm not sure if there is any truth to NBC's allegations. Remington has denied them.
But, NBC does not have a very good record of credibility. A few years ago NBC TV aired a report that claimed that General Motors (GM) pickups (like the one I have now) can explode if hit in the side by another vehicle. Many times I have watched their video of a truck exploding! Just like they said! In a staged crash, it did explode!
However, although I don't know how they did it, GM got possession of the truck used in the tape. They had forensic experts check it out. Guess what? The truck had been rigged with DYNAMITE which was detonated by remote control! It was a TOTAL LIE!
Of course GM proceeded to sue NBC. NBC paid a large sum of money and issued an apology - sort of! They claimed that their theatrics were necessary to prove their point.
Another time NBC gave a report about a river in America (I don't recall the name) that was so polluted that it was covered with chemicals and killing the fish. They did run a video with their report that showed the river all filthy and dead fish floating in the water. However, later it was learned that the river in the video was NOT the one that they were talking about, but ANOTHER ONE, which I believe was in a different country! ANOTHER BIG NBC LIE!
Remington has been around for 150 years or so and has always been there when needed to produce weapons, ammo and anything else our defensive forces have needed during America's wars. The USA has always been able to depend on them.
My brother-in-law had a Remington 700 that he purchased around 1954. He always kept it loaded with the safety on hanging on a wall rack in his living room. I often told him that this was not safe. He said that he wanted it ready to go in an instant whenever he needed it. He kept it this way until his death in 2008, a period of 54 years! And, it NEVER ONCE misfunctioned!
I believe that the Remington Model 700 is one of the finest rifles in the world. It is the choice of most of our military's snipers. These brave people put their lives on the line EVERY TIME they go to work! Therefore, they want the best they can get and most of them choose Remington! I'm with them!
Until it is proven different, I choose to believe that this report is another one of NBC TV's dispicable LIES!

PLEASE VISIT NORTHWEST LIBERTY.COM

Too bad we can't start a don't watch NBC campaign here. Thier anti- Remington 700 tirade is a national disgrace. These people will go to unspeakable lenghts to spread thier vile mud raking palaver. They have reached the point they beleive thier own lies, that is what happens when low down skunks stop smelling thier own stuff. Boycott NBC, send the message.:s0155:

Well I watched it and it had video of SWAT guys just touching the bolt and the rifle fired. They also interviewed the designer and he admitted it was defective and designed a remedy for it but Remington did not do a recall. They did incorporate the redesign into a new model of the rifle though. The show was biased but it did bring up some good points.

...My brother-in-law had a Remington 700 that he purchased around 1954. He always kept it loaded with the safety on hanging on a wall rack in his living room. I often told him that this was not safe. He said that he wanted it ready to go in an instant whenever he needed it. He kept it this way until his death in 2008, a period of 54 years! And, it NEVER ONCE misfunctioned!....

The 700 wasn't introduced until 1962. Your brother-in-law must be a pretty special guy.

That video of the sniper barely touching the bolt on an (assumed unmodified) rifle was a bit shocking.

If it was a "sniper's" weapon, it was not unmodified. It had trigger work or something else done to it. I've know several LE sharpshooters over the year, and of the ones that shot 700's, none were bone-stock...

I was in brightwater the other day and I would have sworn someone came in with the same issue. They told him Remington was aware of the issue and would fix it. So it seems like it is not a smear campaign at all, but more like a public service announcement.

I'm sure you could hold the same assumptions about a lot of firearms. I'm sure it's more of a smear campaign.
Look at Glocks, how many acidents have there been with glocks while taking them apart. It's more misuse, extreme wear, or mods gone wrong. Either way accidents (people getting shot) wouldn't happen if you follow simple gun safety rules.
The story of the boy getting shot was very sad though. But that was due more to not following simple safety protocols. And didn't they say that rifle was old? It wasn't new and possibly a defect?

I was in brightwater the other day and I would have sworn someone came in with the same issue.
Ahh yes, the rumor mill, complete with innuendo perpetuating the myth.
Of course there is a reasonable response. Those that aren't willfully ignorant would watch the video linked in post #4.
In the attack on guns and their owners, this hit piece by CNBC is just "one more brick in the wall."

All branches of the parent company NBC are engaged in an anti gun, anti 2ndA agenda. They are the leftist's mouthpiece.
If you can't see that, you aren't paying attention.

Ahh yes, the rumor mill, complete with innuendo perpetuating the myth.
Of course there is a reasonable response. Those that aren't willfully ignorant would watch the video linked in post #4.
In the attack on guns and their owners, this hit piece by CNBC is just "one more brick in the wall."

All branches of the parent company NBC are engaged in an anti gun, anti 2ndA agenda. They are the leftist's mouthpiece.
If you can't see that, you aren't paying attention.

So what you are saying is that any personal experience or information that does not conform to your opinion is somehow invalid. Interesting perspective.

Geez, I wonder about some of you all sometimes. I saw the story and from where I sat, they made no judgements about guns in general or the 2nd Amend. The story was about a manufacturer who has been aware of a design defect related to safety and has done nothing about it for reasons of cost to the detriment of consumers. Kind of like Toyota and their uncontrolled acceleration issue. If a fraction of what was presented is true, you, as a consumer of Remington products, should be outraged that they would knowingly provide a product that would endanger you or those around you. If you happen to own one that doesn't malfunction, good on you. But there appears to be a significant percentage of 700s that are defective and dangerous and your sample of 1 or 2 isn't significant in the argument. If there needs to be a boycott, perhaps it should be against Remington as a poor example of a responsible corporation.

So what you are saying is that any personal experience or information that does not conform to your opinion is somehow invalid. Interesting perspective.
Not at all.
What I Am saying is that if one is willing to look at all aspects of the situation, they will come away with a different perspective than CNBC presented.
I believe that puts CNBC, in their demonization of Remington and the M700 in the "yellow journalism" category. This is something the various branches of NBC do all the time when guns are the topic.
The reason I quoted you above, is that you obviously weren't privy to the entire conversation at Brightwater, but yet felt compelled to attribute a problem you can't be certain about, to this issue.
Thus perpetuating the lie(s) told by CNBC.

You lefties love to make references to FOX news as "faux" news, and yet you can't or won't investigate the facts behind stories from a source you agree with politically.
That is the definition of willful ignorance.

Geez, I wonder about some of you all sometimes. <snip> If there needs to be a boycott, perhaps it should be against Remington as a poor example of a responsible corporation.
Wow! Did you think of that all by yourself?
I think maybe you are "on to something."
Like maybe that is what NBC was after all along.

The failure rate of NBC's stories to pass the factual test is 1,000 time higher than the failure rate of Remington's triggers.

I guess I am just chatty this week or something. But I take this personally since I own a Remington model 700 and have had it for over 30 years. This rifle is a work of art. And the few news stories I have inside knowledge of, have always been so distorted. Always sensationalized we use to say.

Geraldo is one example and must be an icon to what we now have for news reporters. Remember Al Capone’s hide out? Or did you ever know Geraldo said he was in the church when the Miners back east were supposed to be recovered and rescued a few years back? Fox New interrupted their normally scheduled broad cast for his “live report” He said he was there, he said they were alive. They were all dead as he broadcast that. I heard it live. He was on a satellite phone. How do I know? Telephones or telecommunications has been my craft for 30 years. I know what noise is and what causes it.

And after all it was Geraldo. How come he didn’t have a camera on him? All these lesser reporters had a camera crew with them. I don’t think Geraldo would ever allow himself to be outperformed by a wantabe.

We can stop at that.

But anyway back to my rifle. Like I said, it is a work of art. A Roles Royce in the arms manufacturing community.

Meh, Remington 700... Get a rifleman's rifle: Model 70 Winchester.

Nothing wrong with that rifle either. :s0155:

Not at all.
What I Am saying is that if one is willing to look at all aspects of the situation, they will come away with a different perspective than CNBC presented.
I believe that puts CNBC, in their demonization of Remington and the M700 in the "yellow journalism" category. This is something the various branches of NBC do all the time when guns are the topic.
The reason I quoted you above, is that you obviously weren't privy to the entire conversation at Brightwater, but yet felt compelled to attribute a problem you can't be certain about, to this issue.
Thus perpetuating the lie(s) told by CNBC.

You lefties love to make references to FOX news as "faux" news, and yet you can't or won't investigate the facts behind stories from a source you agree with politically.
That is the definition of willful ignorance.

I would consider any gun that fires without the trigger being pulled worthy of demonization. I would not want on ein my hands or anywhere near me. From the stories I have heard the gun does indeed fire on it's own.

Wow! Did you think of that all by yourself?
I think maybe you are "on to something."
Like maybe that is what NBC was after all along.

The failure rate of NBC's stories to pass the factual test is 1,000 time higher than the failure rate of Remington's triggers.
That is very interesting. Could you please cite your source for that statistic?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top