JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gents - my son, Sgt. Robert Larsen USMC is going to deploy with his family to Okinawa sometime later this year. He's currently working in the armory in Camp Lejeune, NC. He's got a personal AR and a 1911 and he wants me to hang onto them for him while he's deployed. We're wondering what's the best way to do this...??

I have room in the safe, no worries there, but I wonder if it's better to transfer the weapons to me, or just have him ship them out to me for storage..?? I understand he can't just ship them, they'll have to go to my FFL. I know my FFL charges for transfers, but do I need / want to transfer the weapons to my name?

Not sure if any other dad's out there have had to deal with this....I'd appreciate any advice the group has.

Thanks in advance - B.B.S.

He can mail them to you and retain ownership (just like if he were to go hunting in another state and mailed a weapon to use), you would just be an agent acting on his behalf to receive and store them. Wouldn't bother bringing the FFL into it.

As stated above is what I would do. Here is the laws (s) on it, Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

A person can mail a rifle to himself at another address, but mailing a handgun is prohibited.

...kinda what I thought. I do have a couple FFL's here I do business with, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Should I complete 4473's and "take ownership" of them? I'd rather not; I'm assuming it's perfectly legal for me to store the firearms for him....??

Have him send the 1911 to a custom shop, such as Wilson Combat, get a nice trigger job, and use a return address to him in Washington.

...kinda what I thought. I do have a couple FFL's here I do business with, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Should I complete 4473's and "take ownership" of them? I'd rather not; I'm assuming it's perfectly legal for me to store the firearms for him....??

First off you can SHIP any firearm. You just can't use USPS to "mail" handguns unless you have an FFL. This information is also in the link I posted above.

There is no such thing as "taking ownership" of them since there is no registration. Anyone could receive and store them for him if that is what he wanted.

This shouldn't be complicated. Especially if you are a close relative. Say for the sake of argument there was an unintentional violation of law, do you think a US Attorney or DA is going to file charges? This would be very bad PR for them. After all you are simply trying to take a little of the burden for a deployed Marine.

Having said that, have him send them to you via FedEx for "safekeeping". Once you have them periodically function check from time to time. Then properly cleaned, lubricated and stored until the next "function check" time arrives. Then start the cycle over again. ;)

rick said:
A person can mail a rifle to himself at another address, but mailing a handgun is prohibited.
That absolutely isn't true. Don't use USPS, use FedEx.

I hate being pedantic, but since you're calling me out on this I have to disagree. Mailing a handgun absolutely is prohibited (for a non-FFL). FedEx isn't mail. Besides which, Fedex company policy prohibits individuals from shipping a firearm to anyone other than a licensee (FFL).

"FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads