JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So there I was on a nice stroll though the woods with my trusty friend. While sitting on the bank of a nice stream refilling my water my backpack fell over into said stream. My ever faithful friend had a flashback of our days of watching Baywatch and decided to try and single handedly save my backpack's life (or my holster was attached to the belt of the pack. Whichever). Thankfully all's well that ends well. Sadly, Pamela did not show up to rescue us.

Obviously when I got home I stripped and and re-oiled everything but the situation got me thinking... what would be the best thing to do in this situation if I was not going to be back to my creature comforts for several days? Strip it down, dry it with your shirt, and leave it in the sunshine? Thoughts?

I would say it would depend a great deal on how mucky said water was. If it was clean water and firm ground I would shake it off and lay it in the sun while I made lunch and be done with it. If it was mucky I would probably try to dry it first in the sun then get rid of the crud best I good. If you had some cooking oil I would sparingly lube her back up.

Stainless Steel was my answer.... living in Snow Country, with a 9 month Snow Season.... Including Snow on a July 4Th BBQ!

Without changing the metals, I would consider carrying a small aerosol spray can of premium gun oil... and use it to blow out the water molecules....

Better too much oil that can later be cleaned out, than water moisture.

To that point, in my EDC field carry, I have a small cord, that I can pull a patch through... think inner core of 550 cord... Patches can be a portion of your underwear!!!!

A final thought: gentle warmth: after shaking out the water, a small fire and heating the metals (if its a plastic body) to the point it is medium warm to touch, not to point of burning skin, which I would call medium HOT versus warm...

Spending time in the Great Pacific NorthWET, one should consider study of these concepts!

WhenEver I left my house, I could start fire three different ways, make a cup of coffee, etc... and that was even if I was walking to my truck, to drive somewhere!

Just had a Thought, I have Never Used one, but those MRE heaters, would be perfect heat levels for above!!!! not to hot to eat = medium warm metal...

If anybody ever tries that let us know!

HTH,

philip

If it was my glock,I would do like IM said and not worry too much about it.
If it was the TRP I just picked up today,I would field strip it and dry out the inside.
Really as easy as it is to take the slide off most guns now,I would wipe down the inside too.
Set the mag upsidedown to drain anything out.If it looked cruddy,maybe unload it.
I guess I would be more worried about the rest of the pack than the gun

Great suggestions. Thanks guys.

It was my XD so I wasn't too worried. And, I like BD's idea of stainless... maybe on the next purchase. Maybe stainless revolver just for ease of everything! Thankfully it was just the side of the pack that hit the water. The stuff inside is all bagged up separately but it was annoying because it was the side my pistol was on that went for a swim. And I was thinking if this had been a three day hike vs. a day hike if I really needed to concern myself about things or just give it a little attention and attend to it when I got back home.

Now, if I can just find Pamela...

So there I was on a nice stroll though the woods with my trusty friend. While sitting on the bank of a nice stream refilling my water my backpack fell over into said stream. My ever faithful friend had a flashback of our days of watching Baywatch and decided to try and single handedly save my backpack's life (or my holster was attached to the belt of the pack. Whichever). Thankfully all's well that ends well. Sadly, Pamela did not show up to rescue us.

Obviously when I got home I stripped and and re-oiled everything but the situation got me thinking... what would be the best thing to do in this situation if I was not going to be back to my creature comforts for several days? Strip it down, dry it with your shirt, and leave it in the sunshine? Thoughts?

I would do pretty much as you mention, if it was gunked up I'd probably disassemble it and rinse it in clear water.

BTW, your doggie has the sweetest bonnet!;)

I don't see the problem since I clean all my guns with water. Is this not the right thing to do or something? :confused:

My halibut gun ( 45 steel EAA ) on my old boat would get wet with saltwater all the time. Even shot it under water once. I would just spray it with wd40 since that was always on the boat, and wipe it down.

I always prefer stainless - not that it is entirely rustproof (4 years in the USCG convinced me of that), but it is a LOT more rust resistant.

I have spend many a cold fall/winter day in the rain in the PNW with blued firearms only to find rust on them by the end of the day.

I have also thought about the issue of having survival gear attached to my pack, with this particular scenario at the top of the list of problems with that practice. I am not sure there is a remedy - I prefer to carry a handgun in some kind of shoulder harness over carrying it strapped to my belt or leg.

If you were going to be out a few more days in the field...
Exterior is the least of your worries. Need to get the fire control parts dried out, firing pin, sear, sear spring etc dried out. A little chunk of dirt will hold the moisture and possibly create a problem. Any type of spray cleaner will work. I carry a small bottle in my hunt pack. I think right now I have a bottle of wd40, but anything like that will work. All you want to do it get the moisture out.
Field strip, wipe it down, spray, and let it dry in the sun......if its out.;)

Stainless steel guns still use steel springs, and most of the time, steel sears!

If it just wet: Take it apart, set it in the sun, turn several times to heat all sides and oil it after it cools down and then reassemble it.

If it is wet and mucky: Take it apart, rinse off all the muck, set in the sun, turn several times to heat all sides and then oil it and reassemble it.

It won't rust with a dip in the river or fail to fire from a bit of dirt.

My halibut gun ( 45 steel EAA ) on my old boat would get wet with saltwater all the time. Even shot it under water once. I would just spray it with wd40 since that was always on the boat, and wipe it down.

Some people go nuts when you mention WD40. If you use it like it was CLP you can eventually get some buildup, but for the occasion when you get your gun wet it's terrific at driving water out of confined spaces.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top