JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And just in the interest of clarity, I do not believe you are saying mentally ill people should own guns. I believe that to be correct.
Be careful... an integrity-challenged clinician could DX a ham sandwich and make it stick, and you'd be surprised how many high-functioning autistic benchresters there are. (The autism spectrum has more flavors than Baskin-Robbins, Ben & Jerry's and Haagen-Dazs combined... in my case, the men who trained me believed that my particular case made me MORE suitable for the responsibility of weapons carry than General Pop.)

Then there is the issue of finding clinicians willing to perform a sign off.

I think @bolus is currently one of the few in the state of Hawaii who will.

Now, imagine if it was a national law AND you did not have an option to shop for a Dr, just who ever "they" assign to do so...

Hmm...

Then there is the issue of finding clinicians willing to perform a sign off...
Now, imagine if it was a national law AND you did not have an option to shop for a Dr, just who ever "they" assign to do so...
Hmm...

Ugly proposition indeed.

Remember, the ones you think are "normal" are the ones you don't know well enough. Even most psychiatrists I know fall well outside the parameters of normal, perhaps into that spectrum mentioned above, highly functioning autism. Certainly strange birds.

What it really comes down to is that not all mental health problems can be clumped into "dangerous to own firearms". A 35 yo mom with generalized anxiety disorder is not going to be the next school shooter. A 21yo loner male who hears voices in his head and follows their commands is a high risk individual.

But I think we have strayed a lot from the OP's intent, and this has derailed enough. To all a good nite, and I'm out. Unwatching.

read this on a comment section discussing the removal of the Broward County Sheriff.

These are the gun laws we should pass (they will have no effect of law abiding gun owners and make it harder for criminals and lunatics to get guns and ammo). 1) Every gun owner must undergo a rigorous background check including mental health screening, after passing they get a license to own carry and buy guns in all 50 states and territories. 2) Every gun must be registered 3) Only people who pass background check and have license can buy guns, ammo, and their components and only in the calibers they have registered 4) Anyone caught with unregistered gun or possessing guns, ammo, or any components without undergoing the background check and obtaining license get mandatory 10 year prison sentence (5 years if they plead guilty as save tax payers' money)!
People are idiots and often spew their nonsense without thinking or while being completely ignorant on the topic of choice.

There are 80-100 million gun owners in the US. How many shrinks do you think there are in our country and how long do you think it would take to screen that many people? I suspect the answer would be measured in decades...and that's with the shrinks doing nothing else but screening gun owners. So no mental healthcare for anyone else in the country while this is going on. And are we only going to do this once or does the idiot want gun owners screened every year? If so, how many shrinks will we need to add to be able to screen all gun owners in a year (likely tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands) and how will that be achieved exactly?

And who will be paying for all those screenings? How will this all be managed and tracked? How much will all this cost and where will that money come from to manage and administer all this?

Like I said, people just open their Eff'ing pie holes without any type of rational thought. :rolleyes:

Been asking for solutions. We keep putting gas in a broken car. We've been forced to do everything but fix government. Hand out Restraining Orders but never fix the issues that lead to the RO. Lets find out not only why people are shooting schools (as if) but why aren't they shooting other places (I know). But showing proof can at least make politicians have to answer. One would hope. Have firearms education added to school curriculums. So many people have misinformation about guns and we are suffering from their ignorance. Also, if anyone's solutions to a problem is adding a tax or license fee, it isn't a real problem. Just a money grab.

Last Edited:
This "Sounds" good but all it is, is one Giant Step towards all firearms being taken away. We've had too many of those already.

Instead of "Gun Free Zones" we need to be setting up "Crime Free Zones". It's either that or all gun owners will end up Criminals!!!

When these increasingly rigorous BGIs evolve into individual DNA records (as the Dems would have it on their way to finally making it just too difficult/complicated for anyone to pass), I've got a hefty sample I can drop off on Kate Brown's desk. And a few more for Burdick, Prozanski, et al.

When someone steps forward to tell you that it's appropriate for your government to insist you ask for their permission before you can exercise a constitutional right, then you no longer have constitutional rights.

I don't really care what anyone else says beyond that.
That's not how it's supposed to work.

When the feds have the database to recognize what you just said, matching calibers of Ammo to purchase, to the gun you own and all that jazz, I'd be worried. When stores see massive amounts of$$ drop because of computer checks, swhtf......Maybe in the next 200 years it may happen.

All people must have license to open their mouths, computers and internet access must be registered, anyone caught writing or speaking w/o a license will have their tongues removed and be put in an iron mask for 10yrs, 5yr if they plead guilty.

Then there is the issue of finding clinicians willing to perform a sign off.

I think @bolus is currently one of the few in the state of Hawaii who will.

Hmm...

Dont every require medical clearance to own a firearm. Even with immunity built into the law here the majority of physicians wont sign one. Because if a physician signed one and the person went on a shooting spree who is going to be blamed in the media? The physician.

I notice how the anti's are getting more and more bold in their 'plans' to bring on 'common sense gun laws' - where they always said "no one is coming for your guns", I'm seeing that line less and less. They are coming for our guns. You know it. I know it. We've known for a long time they are lying. Thankfully they're not hiding that goal like they used to - they think 90% of the country is on their side, so they're getting bold announcing plans to stop ownership of all semi-automatic firearms, as just one example. I actually prefer this tactic by their side - it gives us the ability to counter them and not get called conspiracy theorists for our trouble. They are the enemy. They want us disarmed. And they will not stop. No matter how many times they lose, they will keep coming after us, until they get what they want.

I have a feeling a whole lot of people would avoid coming to the doctor or filling a psychiatric medication...

I get diagnosed with a mental defect by the receptionist each time I try to pay with cash or check. I hate insurance!

This 21 year old age limit thing is crap.

Constitutionally a grey area.... BUT what will it actually change?

How is it that we would support putting a rifle in a mans hands and send him to fight/die for his country, but if/when he gets home, he is unable to own a rifle himself?

No.

The ONLY 'compromise' I would be willing to accept is the background check. We can make that better and actually enforce parts of it... there problem solved.

Though I will add that we didnt have these shootings before 1992 when there were no background checks required...

Before 1968 when there were NO restrictions at all.... look at the crime rate then.... aside from Charles Whitman, where were the mass shootings at the time when anyone could walk in to a store or mail order a gun no questions asked......

Its all bullbubblegum.

We are going to lose our rights and are pretty much powerless to stop it.

And for all of the 'cold dead hands' guys... you are not going to stop it either, you may die for it.... but I want a world where my kids can enjoy the same freedoms as I did.

I truly dont know what we can even do here?

I'm curious what happened to all the >10 round magazines in California when they were banned. Were they all magically accounted for? Or are there just a LOT of gun owners (made criminals by the state government) now living in fear of prosecution?

I'm curious what happened to all the >10 round magazines in California when they were banned. Were they all magically accounted for? Or are there just a LOT of gun owners (made criminals by the state government) now living in fear of prosecution?

I've tried to do some digging on this. To date, I can't find any info that says they've collected more than a few. And you know there have to be thousands, more likely tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands. Without a magazine registration and serial numbers, they're left to hopefully run into some from time to time.

Fact is, any ban is pretty much a waste of time. NY, CT and others have seen compliance rates of under 20%, closer to 10% in the years since they were implemented. Most freedom loving individuals will simply quietly keep what they own and not show it off in public. The government has neither the resources nor the time to track down all the offenders. They live, silently, among their fellow citizens. At least until the government pushes too far and they decide to show all those things they've been hiding...

I think the 10 rounders that had been grandfathered in was put on hold. Some judge grew a spine. But all that falls under, repeat something long enough it becomes the truth. It is illogical to believe a criminal in the act of committing a crime will stop because of the legality of their magazine.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews