JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
read this on a comment section discussing the removal of the Broward County Sheriff.

These are the gun laws we should pass (they will have no effect of law abiding gun owners and make it harder for criminals and lunatics to get guns and ammo). 1) Every gun owner must undergo a rigorous background check including mental health screening, after passing they get a license to own carry and buy guns in all 50 states and territories. 2) Every gun must be registered 3) Only people who pass background check and have license can buy guns, ammo, and their components and only in the calibers they have registered 4) Anyone caught with unregistered gun or possessing guns, ammo, or any components without undergoing the background check and obtaining license get mandatory 10 year prison sentence (5 years if they plead guilty as save tax payers' money)!

How about requiring a shall-issue CCW for any firearm and ammo purchase with 50 state reciprocity? That would include NICS, fingerprinting, and mental health registry check (each already required for CCW in WA/OR). As a give-back for the inconvenience, it allows holder no waiting period, no interstate restrictions on purchase or carry (pistols included), and a solid guarantee of good-guy status. Most of us already have CCW, so if there is a minimal fee to upgrade, and a $50/5yr purchase/renewal cost, I think it's a good deal, if we are being forced to negotiate against the unacceptable alternatives.

Raise gun purchase to 21? Sure, not a huge problem. Sucks to be 18 when it happens, but it's going to happen.

But gun registration for guns already owned? Screw that noise. What we have is what we keep. Don't think for a second that the states don't already keep records on FFL purchases... I know they read off the serial number of the guns being purchased when the are on the phone with the sheriffs dept. But for all the pre 594 guns we have, that's just none of their business. Assault weapons permits? That's simply backdoor registration, nobody is gonna comply. And sign-off from your doctor on mental health? I can tell you as a doctor, that I won't be willing to sign off responsibility for someone's mental health. That's a non-starter.

As a staunch 2A supporter, this is the fullest extent I would be willing to budge. If you like this idea, tell your representative about it. If you hate it, well, consider the alternative we had to deal with for the 10yrs the assault weapons ban was law thanks to Feinstein. Consider all the nasty bills that were narrowly averted in WA this year. We've already lost bump stocks, not that I care about the ability to waste ammo. What's next?

As for arming teachers? I contacted my superintendent on the issue and was told, "we don't have the money for that." There is now a bill recently introduced in WA that would allocate $50M just for this purpose. Some legislative folks are getting the right idea.

Somehow I would like to think that Trump, while diverting expertly with one narrative is somehow trying to get national reciprocity passed. Well, I hope that's the case.

I should have said "stopped going along".

........Raise gun purchase to 21? Sure, not a huge problem. Sucks to be 18 when it happens, but it's going to happen.

But gun registration for guns already owned? Screw that noise. What we have is what we keep. Don't think for a second that the states don't already keep records on FFL purchases... I know they read off the serial number of the guns being purchased when the are on the phone with the sheriffs dept. But for all the pre 594 guns we have, that's just none of their business. Assault weapons permits? That's simply backdoor registration, nobody is gonna comply. And sign-off from your doctor on mental health? I can tell you as a doctor, that I won't be willing to sign off responsibility for someone's mental health. That's a non-starter.

As a staunch 2A supporter, this is the fullest extent I would be willing to budge......

Really nothing personal, but I feel to claim to be a staunch supporter, one would not accept a not yet happened erosion of a right as inevitable. That said, I will accept 21 if it is the law. Not my first choice for reform however.
I see the current climate as very divisive. I believe neither side will end up with 100% of a solution. I am OK with compromise, not polarize, strategy. Would I trade a 21 year minimum age for a 50 state carry permit? Yes, I believe I would. We also need to stop saying "arm teachers". A better semantic is "allow a carry choice in schools", "by highly trained, willing individuals". Or something along that line. Just stop saying give teachers guns. The thought of my 63 year old, flabby armed third grade teacher with the thick glasses on a rope around her neck packing heat scares me.
Thank you for a well thought out post though. I am curious, when Alzheimer's took over my fathers brain, it was a doctor that signed off to pull his drivers license. And in Oregon they can even sign off on pulling your plug. I get it is a non-starter for you, but isn't it part of the job description?

Doctors are allowed to make personal choices, and nobody can legislate or obligate me to put myself at risk of liability or go against my conscience. I choose who I will or won't treat, and what I ask or won't ask. I am self employed and have no employer policies to follow.

If I see a disaster in the making, whether it's a school bus driver without feeling in their feet, a stroke victim with spatial neglect, or an Alzheimer's pt without mental capacity, I will recommend the right thing, and document it well. There is no mandatory reporting to the DMV in WA like in CA, but there is a way of notifying the DMV of need to retest capacity if the patient won't comply.

I have seen very few mentally ill people whom I think should not own guns, but unless the patient has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, ruled mentally defective by a judge, or an immediate danger to self or others, there is no recourse for doctor's concerns. I recently tried to report an unstable noncompliant schizophrenic. No help from LE.

I agree with your semantic of "armed teachers". It really is too collective a term. I know of 7 teachers at my daughter's school who would choose to be armed if given the opportunity. Now we just need to get the state to except them from the "gun free zone".

I should have said "stopped going along".
Really nothing personal, but I feel to claim to be a staunch supporter, one would not accept a not yet happened erosion of a right as inevitable. That said, I will accept 21 if it is the law. Not my first choice for reform however.
I see the current climate as very divisive. I believe neither side will end up with 100% of a solution. I am OK with compromise, not polarize, strategy. Would I trade a 21 year minimum age for a 50 state carry permit? Yes, I believe I would. We also need to stop saying "arm teachers". A better semantic is "allow a carry choice in schools", "by highly trained, willing individuals". Or something along that line. Just stop saying give teachers guns. The thought of my 63 year old, flabby armed third grade teacher with the thick glasses on a rope around her neck packing heat scares me.
Thank you for a well thought out post though. I am curious, when Alzheimer's took over my fathers brain, it was a doctor that signed off to pull his drivers license. And in Oregon they can even sign off on pulling your plug. I get it is a non-starter for you, but isn't it part of the job description?

Interesting. Thanks for shedding more light.
Yes, Pops license was withdrawn against his permission, but it was a good thing to do. Mum had enough. He had one too many trips down the sidewalk in the Volvo.

.........I have seen very few mentally ill people whom I think should not own guns, but unless the patient has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, ruled mentally defective by a judge, or an immediate danger to self or others, there is no recourse for doctor's concerns. I recently tried to report an unstable noncompliant schizophrenic. No help from LE............

And just in the interest of clarity, I do not believe you are saying mentally ill people should own guns. I believe that to be correct.

read this on a comment section discussing the removal of the Broward County Sheriff.

These are the gun laws we should pass (they will have no effect of law abiding gun owners and make it harder for criminals and lunatics to get guns and ammo). 1) Every gun owner must undergo a rigorous background check including mental health screening, after passing they get a license to own carry and buy guns in all 50 states and territories. 2) Every gun must be registered 3) Only people who pass background check and have license can buy guns, ammo, and their components and only in the calibers they have registered 4) Anyone caught with unregistered gun or possessing guns, ammo, or any components without undergoing the background check and obtaining license get mandatory 10 year prison sentence (5 years if they plead guilty as save tax payers' money)!

608C9BB2-DE09-463D-83CE-8AF81A56A824.jpeg

And just in the interest of clarity, I do not believe you are saying mentally ill people should own guns. I believe that to be correct.

I do not believe people at risk of murdering others due to insanity should be able to own firearms. That's exactly what I'm saying. That doesn't prevent someone from losing it in a fit of rage or premeditation from doing the same, but that's not something I or anyone else can do anything about unless we become aware of prior intent. And dropping the dime on prior knowledge of impending murder is not only a moral obligation, it's the law.

Should depressed people on Prozac be prohibited from owning firearms so they don't kill themselves? They will just find another way. I know people who have jumped off bridges and drove into oncoming semi's to complete their suicidal intentions, so I really have no desire to go beyond advising them to remove guns from their house until they are better. If NICS was going to access pharmacy records on people who take psychotropic medications, it would require a revision of HIPPA law and would not go well.

I sure hope the gun grabbers can be delayed a real long time, because after we are all disarmed, they'll be going after something else, even more precious, Maybe like Butter!
Life just wouldn't be worth living without Butter.

Doctors are allowed to make personal choices, and nobody can legislate or obligate me to put myself at risk of liability or go against my conscience. I choose who I will or won't treat, and what I ask or won't ask. I am self employed and have no employer policies to follow.

Wanna bet? If "they" decide "XYX SHALL be thus" under pain of having your medical license pulled for non-compliance and pass legislation (or even Administrative Rules for that matter) stating as such.... you'll be faced with making some hard choices.

Coming up with hypothetical opposition to bolster an argument that your family doctor must clear you for firearm ownership is laughable at best. If I play your futures game for a moment, what "they" really want is for me to say, "no, I can't take on that liability" and will be laughing when you realize they have won and gun owners have lost. I will simply defer "mandatory" psychiatric clearance to a psychiatrist. That's a whole different training residency. Kind of like asking your psychiatrist to clear you for surgery. Good luck with that. And when you see said psychiatrist for clearance to own firearms, now you have a record of seeing a psychiatrist. Joseph Yeller wrote that book... it's called Catch 22. Now it feels like your head is about to explode, doesn't it?

Now if the intent of the last comment was to tell me that I have to report depressed or bipolar people to NICS under penalty of law, I will do what I have to under law, including advising patients that their firearm ownership is at risk if I enter a mental health diagnosis right at the outset of the visit; they can't censor or gag order me in that regard... violation of the first amendment. I have a feeling a whole lot of people would avoid coming to the doctor or filling a psychiatric medication, resulting in a worse mental health problem than we already have.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads