JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I read a lot of threads and generally in a thread drift someone will make statements or claims as to what a good shot/shooter is.

So here is a thread for it - how good of a shot are you and what do you consider a good shot?

It can be moving targets, stationary targets, hunting, from a bench, prone or off hand... whatever you have experience with and want to talk about.

Let's see where everyone stands and find out if it's tall tales or realistic expectations with a given firearm.

Here is me from this morning, off hand, 50ft, right is 33 rounds 9mm from PCC with very crude sights, left is Pistol, .22, 100 rnds with a dot to assist. Just playing this is almost as good as I can do these days. If I really work at it with super slow fire I can close the groups a little. This is me just popping off rounds fairly fast. Sadly nothing like I could do 40 years ago but then I can't do anything like I did 40 years ago anymore :s0140: Target.jpg

"good" and "good enough" mean pretty different things to me but are both good in their own way. If I can hit a realistic Target at a realistic range, to me that's good. I shoot at 8" steel plates at 50ish ft and do pretty darn well. I also shoot at the same size and sightly smaller at 200-300 yds with my rifles and also do fine. If I'm not missing, I feel like I'm doing good. Would I compete with my abilities? Nope, those guys are better than good.

Hitting your target more often than you miss.

Couple weeks ago a young guy came over to ask me for help. He was shooting a new, compact, 9 or .40. Was making groups about 8inches. I was doing far better but was using a .22 with a dot. I watched him shoot a mag, told him I did not see anything wrong with what he was doing, looked like just a matter of more practice. I then took one of his targets he had used that was laying there, held it up to my chest to show him, all of them would be a hit on a person. That seemed to make him feel a lot better about it. :)

I shoot well enough with my guns to win a match or bring home game...
A few times in the past when I had to shoot "good"...I shot well enough to come home alive.

Some of my shots sure seem to be "good" ...like clipping the heads off of flowers with a "open sighted" / iron sighted .22 rifle or muzzleloading rifle , off hand , at the distance of 60 odd yards...:D
Then of course ...
There are days when I couldn't hit the ground if I were foolish enough to drop my rifle.:eek::D
Andy

Couple weeks ago a young guy came over to ask me for help. He was shooting a new, compact, 9 or .40. Was making groups about 8inches. I was doing far better but was using a .22 with a dot. I watched him shoot a mag, told him I did not see anything wrong with what he was doing, looked like just a matter of more practice. I then took one of his targets he had used that was laying there, held it up to my chest to show him, all of them would be a hit on a person. That seemed to make him feel a lot better about it. :)

My buddy and I shoot quite often together. He is almost the same way as this person. I too hold up a target to my chest and say "Ya think this is good enough to stop an ugly situation?"

We smile.

He still wants tighter groups and more centered shots.

Practice... practice.... practice....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads