JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought I would post here my get home bag and get some thoughts on what you might do differently.
I live almost exactly 4 miles from work so it won't take much time to get home. But occasionally I do drive for work within about 20 miles. This is besides the stuff I carry on me every day.

The bag its self is a simple backpack. has waist and chest straps and I never use it for anything else anymore.
Contents of the bag:
Four 16.9 oz water bottles, I realize that its more bulk than is ideal but it is what it is.
Four CLIF bars
Basic first aid kit
Two dust masks
Lighter fluid
Mtech knife with fire started
200' of 550 paracord
fleece sleeping bag
Emergency blanket
Sunglasses
50rds of ammo for my edc
spare shirt and underwear/socks, appropriate pants for the current season

My EDC equipment:
Pistol and spare mag (Walther PPQ or Sig P220)
Kershaw Blur knife
Cold Steel Mini Tac knife
Zippo

Anything you folk would add/drop/change?

20150121_200623_zps36bfcd45.jpg

I would add a Sawyer Mini, drop down to 2 water bottles. Add a ballcap or stocking cap, maybe balaclava, headlamp with red lense, 1 stripped MRE (heating pouch can be used in bag if needed. Ditch 100ft paracord, lighter fluid / zippo, use 2 Bic lighters or learn to use ferro rod, maybe add a couple cotton balls, advil? Strip first aid kit, to bare minimum, use ziplock bag. Add wipes / sanitizer, ditch larger knife. Ditch box 50rds of ammo, buy another spare mag.

Activated charcoal
A wound/trauma/first responder kit.
Head lamp and flashlight
Perhaps a 3M Paint and pesticide NIOSH rated mask
(Worth it over dust masks, breaks down easy)
Goggles/full wrap glasses
(aids in preventing dust in the eyes, VERY worth it over glasses)
+2 for thick/ducting zip ties/"detainment straps" and aids with first aid compression in a pinch)
Paracord & climbing rope
(You'll know why when you need it)

I have a filter at home, figured 4 bottles would last me 20 hours or so, about the max amount of time I would be on foot with this bag (I'll throw some tablets in the bag though).
I wear a hat almost every day, if I'm not wearing one, there are 3 in my car. As well as a jacket, hoodie, and a more extensive first aid kit. Trauma kits are in all company vehicles.
I have a ferro rod with the larger knife, why would you recommend not having it? My thoughts were to be able to use it for larger branches for shelter/other similar needs, same with para cord.
I'll keep the bic idea in mind. Ive always liked the zippo and have carried one out of habit for some time (non smoker)
hand sanitizer in
I have a red cap for the flashlight, I'll move it to the bag.
I''l look into getting some goggles.
And I'll have to try and track down charcoal. Shouldn't be too hard.

Did I miss any mentions?

Add Multi-tool, poncho, candle, Bic lighters, Life-Straw, zip ties, monocular. Loose the lighter and fluid, keep the box of ammo, though a spare mag may be appreciated at the worst of times. Small roll of 1" first aid tape, Advil and a couple of little airline vodka bottles for medical purposes would round it out (doubles as hand sanitizer and wound sterilizer in a pinch).

Multi tool lives in the car, I'll relocate it.
Binos live in the car, good enough?
1 inch first ait tape lives in my soccer bag. Which lives in my car.
Life straw and zip ties at work, easy to get.
Bics are available everywhere.
I'll work on the mags, they are off the shelf more often than on.
And the vodka is a new idea. I like that, worse case and I know I'm screwed? Have a drink (sarcasm)

I would put a piece of construction grade plastic in there as well. At least 15 x 15 . You can fold it up pretty small and not much weight and one hell of a rain cover with some paracord and duct tape.

I like the red cap or cover for the flashlight idea too.

I didn't see duct tape actually suggested/listed. Aside from from taping stuff together it can also act as a decent "band-aid"/ pressure dressing/suture for cuts. The adhesive side is actually fairly clean/sterile if left on the roll until you need it.

Working in the sheetmetal trades over the years I have incurred many a nasty laceration on my hands and fingers (I've seen my tendons moving in some of the wounds). Each time I tore off a strip of tape, pinched the cut closed and wrapped with duct tape... Wallah!! No stitches (I'm stubborn that way) and beatchin' scars you can show off to and impress the ladies with!

you have a lot of things that live your car and other places you frequent. It might be a good idea to make a list of all the things you need to gather up and laminate it. Keep it in your GHB. If you are in a tense situation it would be easy to forget something important... Lots of good ideas here!!!

i use:
draw string bag
water
desired food
ibuprofen
1-2 bandanna
mylar blanket
6'x8' tarp
large dish towel
knifes (multi-tool, fixed blade and pairing knife)
mag light AKA portable spot light (one of the very few great things from CA)
safety glasses
lighter and fero-rod
jute twine
wool blanket
metal bottle and small camp pan
baton
socks
baby powder

you would regret carrying a ton of stuff you really dont need. you keep pretty close to what i prefer but i would recommend dumping the paracord and taking bank like or a natural fiber cordage; i prefer jute, hemp or cotton. they do what you want it for, cuts easy and doubles as tender. also, there is no real need to carry all that extra lead. maybe consider buying an extra mag and dropping it in your bag. it'll give you the little extra you clearly want, weigh a lot less and you wont have to load it on your long walk.

all the same, you have all the basses covered the only thing i would strongly suggest is adding a small towel and maybe a very light weight draw string bag that you can use as a shoulder bag (cheapo Adidas or nike gym bag) . tuck it in a place with easy access for quick retrieval. i walked across northern France during the summer and both of those were my favorite items, in town and on the country side.

Really, the only thing I think you're missing here is a tarp/bivy bag/poncho. I would probably drop the ammo from this bag.

I've been traveling a lot lately and living out of luggage teaches you a thing or two about priorities, As a consequence, I've pretty much been living out of my bob.

Generally, my GHB/BoB/etc needs to contain:

Something to sleep in/Something to sleep on - lightweight sleeping bag/poncho
Enough clothes that I can end/start my day - for now that's 1 pair of pants, 2 bivvy rolls (socks, shirt/underwear)
shaving kit - toothbrush, deodorant, soap, lotion, toiletpaper, etc
Towel - I use those microfiber towels
Food - 2-3 fieldstripped MREs
Water bottle - I have a 2qt canteen with stove/cup/spork/P38

If I'm somewhere that's wet, I throw in my water filter, if I'm somewhere warm I take my hammock.

Thing about it is, this bag should be as small and lightweight as you can get, and so far you've done that. Big heavy rucksacks that contain an entire house are great until you have to carry them. I find more often than not, excess gear just gets left behind when you're tired. So why take it?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews