JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My First AR
My First Build
My First Centerfire Rifle ...and I'm EXCITED! :D

This thread is just a documentary of my build, not a how-to. It may be a month or even two before this is complete.
First up is a hand matched Mega Machine Shop upper and lower receiver set from Carrico'z ARmory right here in WA. Great service from Mr. Corrico and the shipping was quick, although I'm only a few hours drive away from him so that helps.

ETA my parts list:
Upper:
Mega Machine Shop Forged Upper
Daniel Defense Cold Hammer Forged 16" 1:7 Stripped Barrel
BCM Bolt Carrier Group - Auto
Midwest Industries 10" Free Float Quad Rail Handguard
Midwest Industries T Series Trim Ring
BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (Med. Latch)
YHM Low Profile Gas Block
Carbine Length Gas Tube from BCM
BCM Forward Assist Assembly
Ejection Port Cover Assembly from BCM
Smith Vortex Flash Hider
Magpul Front and Rear MBUS

Lower:
Mega Machine Shop Forged Lower
Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit
Magpul ACS Collapsible Buttstock (Black)
Milspec Buffer Tube Assembly
Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer

Optic:
Eotech XPS 2-0

On to the pictures!

DSC03325.jpg

DSC03328.jpg

I was also going to build an AR15 (M4), but I chickened out; I just bought a complete upper and lower. What do you plan on building? M4? Middy? Rifle? Inquiring minds want to know...lol.

I was also going to build an AR15 (M4), but I chickened out; I just bought a complete upper and lower. What do you plan on building? M4? Middy? Rifle? Inquiring minds want to know...lol.

AR's are pretty easy to build, the only problem is once you start buying parts you end up with enough extra parts you decide to build another upper or lower then you have to build another lower or upper, and so on.:s0114:

I'm building an M4 (m4gery, if you will). I have really high hopes for the quality of this build. I believe I've picked some nice components, hopefully that will make for a nice carbine.

AR's are pretty easy to build, the only problem is once you start buying parts you end up with enough extra parts you decide to build another upper or lower then you have to build another lower or upper, and so on.:s0114:
I hope so! :s0114: Actually I've already got ideas for my 2nd build but some of that will depend on how this build goes, what I like and dislike about it, et cetera.

Make sure you buy/borrow the right tools so you don't screw up that great Mega finish. A good vice block and barrel wrench will help a lot.

I will be using the correct tools. Here are the tools I've chosen to order if I can't borrow locally:
Wrench:
http://www.del-ton.com/Multi_Tool_p/tl1020.htm
Upper Receiver Vice Block:
http://www.del-ton.com/DPMS_Receiver_Claw_p/tl1014.htm

What is your opinion on those two? They seem to be of good quality.

I want it to look good when it's done for some pictures but then I'm gonna run it hard and not hold back. :D I'll save the dents, dings, and marring for the run and guns.

What did you use to fill the "safe" and "fire"? Me likey:D

I used "extra fine tip" Sharpie paint pens. They are a great product but I can't recommend them for this job as they are not quite small enough to fit into the scroll marks. Testors model paints and an ultra fine paint brush are the proven method and will look just as good but have less cleanup as long as you have a steady hand. :)

I have also seen crayons used successfully.

I used "extra fine tip" Sharpie paint pens. They are a great product but I can't recommend them for this job as they are not quite small enough to fit into the scroll marks. Testors model paints and an ultra fine paint brush are the proven method and will look just as good but have less cleanup as long as you have a steady hand. :)

Yeah, that would work well too. The difficult part on the receiver I did was that it was double line engraving. The safe and fire were pictures of bullets and if the paint went on too thick the detail was lost. I tried the fill and wipe method first but it didn't work on that particular receiver.

My barrel came in today. This is a Daniel Defense 1:7" twist Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Lined M4 Profile barrel from Palmetto State Tactical Supply. I have to mention the amazingly fast shipping from these guys. I ordered Friday evening and it was in WA on Sunday night. The holiday held up my package but I received it today and in my opinion that is some uber fast shipping...from South Carolina! It was $50 cheaper than I could find it anywhere else and about $110 under MSRP. I feel like I got a deal. I opted to spend an extra $80 and get this barrel over the cut rifled Daniel Defense variety. Anyways, pics!

Chamber, feedramps, locking lug thingies. ;)

A preview of the barrel on the upper receiver.
Build011.jpg

Stay tuned. The rest of the upper parts will be here Friday, minus the flash hider.

The following parts should be showing up today:
MI 10" quad rail and trim ring
BCM M16 Bolt carrier and bolt
BCMGUNFIGHTER charging handle w/ Medium latch
YHM Low Pro Gas Block
Carbine length gas tube
Forward Assist assembly
Ejection port cover assembly

I'm so freaking stoked to see what my upper is going to look like!

I'm following ;)

Looks real good, can't wait to see what the finished rifle looks like.

I'm especially interested in how the BCM gunfighter charging handle works as I've been looking into one of those for myself.

Just checking :) I don't particularly enjoy the picture posting process so I wanted to see if anyone's getting anything out of it. And my picture quality bites, there is no light in this room.

The gunfighter charging handle is a very nice piece of billet and it's ultra lightweight, I mean like a feather. I slipped it and the bolt into my upper and it fit beautifully and the latch works nicely. I'll let you know how it feels when it's got the resistance of the buffer spring behind it.

Parts are held up due to funds at the moment, I'll be making an order next Friday for the rest of the parts and BUIS. I'm not certain about an optic yet so that will probably wait until I can try out an EOTech or Aimpoint.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top