JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks guys. I'm ordering from Monitor right here on NWFA tomorrow to complete my rifle. I should be ordering the EOTech tomorrow as well.

Edit: Crap, photobucket decided to take a leave of absence. Screw 'em. I'll fix the pictures when I find a new hosting service. :(

Edit2: Fixed the pictures. Let me know if they are too big. Also, everything is ordered! I'm super stoked to get this built and get it to the pit!

Been following along also and enjoying the thread. Couple of questions, your building from the ground up, is this so you could get the exact rifle you wanted, price, or just for the challenge? I bought a Mega upper from Northern Born Rebel here in Oregon and was getting ready to build also so the info and pics are great reference, thanks for the help.

Looks like your first build is definitely going to be a good one!
Thanks, I hope so!

Been following along also and enjoying the thread. Couple of questions, your building from the ground up, is this so you could get the exact rifle you wanted, price, or just for the challenge? I bought a Mega upper from Northern Born Rebel here in Oregon and was getting ready to build also so the info and pics are great reference, thanks for the help.
Price is not a reason to build your own, it will always be more expensive than buying a separate complete upper and lower. I am building for two main reasons:
1. There were some specific parts I had to have...buying a gun and replacing those parts would have been a waste of money.
2. I want the experience. I want to know how the gun works, I'm mechanically inclined so I figured it would be easy. I could have researched how the gun works, and I have, but I will know first hand.

Fringe benefits:
1. I trust my work and I know and trust each component.
2. I will take tremendous pride in my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine. :)
3. I will be able to troubleshoot more easily because I will already own the tools and have the know-how.

Thanks, I hope so!

Price is not a reason to build your own, it will always be more expensive than buying a separate complete upper and lower. I am building for two main reasons:
1. There were some specific parts I had to have...buying a gun and replacing those parts would have been a waste of money.
2. I want the experience. I want to know how the gun works, I'm mechanically inclined so I figured it would be easy. I could have researched how the gun works, and I have, but I will know first hand.

Fringe benefits:
1. I trust my work and I know and trust each component.
2. I will take tremendous pride in my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine. :)
3. I will be able to troubleshoot more easily because I will already own the tools and have the know-how.

This is exactly why I build my own, so I know it is right and with the components I want. But be warned, it is ADDICTIVE and you constantly want to build another and another. Just completed my 4th build. Cant wait to see yours!!

dsc03573.jpg dsc03575.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation and input BMGM! Your rifle looks great, I love the foliage green furniture, sights, and rail covers! You should make a thread to show off all of your builds, I'd like to see them and their parts lists.

My rifle will be "done" on Tuesday, I'll post "final" pictures then.

Thanks for the confirmation and input BMGM! Your rifle looks great, I love the foliage green furniture, sights, and rail covers! You should make a thread to show off all of your builds, I'd like to see them and their parts lists.

My rifle will be "done" on Tuesday, I'll post "final" pictures then.

I didnt take any pics of past builds, there were before I found this site. The color on this one is Olive Drab, not Foliage...I think the darker green looks nice with the black. I built my first rifle when I purchased a M16 Registered Receiver from PAWS in Salem back in 1987....oh and I paid $550 for the lower :D

I didnt take any pics of past builds, there were before I found this site. The color on this one is Olive Drab, not Foliage...I think the darker green looks nice with the black. I built my first rifle when I purchased a M16 Registered Receiver from PAWS in Salem back in 1987....oh and I paid $550 for the lower :D

Sweet! It would be an awful lot more today! ;) Woops, I get those Magpul colors mixed up all the time.

My First AR
My First Build
My First Centerfire Rifle ...and I'm EXCITED! :D

This thread is just a documentary of my build, not a how-to. It may be a month or even two before this is complete.
First up is a hand matched Mega Machine Shop upper and lower receiver set from Carrico'z ARmory right here in WA. Great service from Mr. Corrico and the shipping was quick, although I'm only a few hours drive away from him so that helps.

ETA my parts list:
Upper:
Mega Machine Shop Forged Upper
Daniel Defense Cold Hammer Forged 16" 1:7 Stripped Barrel
BCM Bolt Carrier Group - Auto
Midwest Industries 10" Free Float Quad Rail Handguard
Midwest Industries T Series Trim Ring
BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (Med. Latch)
YHM Low Profile Gas Block
Carbine Length Gas Tube from BCM
BCM Forward Assist Assembly
Ejection Port Cover Assembly from BCM
Smith Vortex Flash Hider
Magpul Front and Rear MBUS

Lower:
Mega Machine Shop Forged Lower
Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit
Magpul ACS Collapsible Buttstock (Black)
Milspec Buffer Tube Assembly
Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer

Optic:
Eotech XPS 2-0

On to the pictures!

DSC03325.jpg

DSC03328.jpg

Almost looks just like my build and I bought my upper and lower from the same place. Mr. Carrico is a pretty good guy and he gave me a mil. discount. I went with a 14.5" M4 barrel and had to pin my flash hider.

Here is mine:

and one withmy AR and my Remington 721 that I just finished:

and hey everyone, I'm new here.

I simply wont have time to take good pictures for probably a couple weeks so here are some living room pictures so you guys can see what she looks like. I have no pictures from before I RAN HER HARD so she's got some scuffs and scratches. :D All part of the beauty! I could not be more happy about how this gun runs, I think I did darn good for a first build. And now that I have some experience with her I've made a little shopping list of accessories to come soon (feel free to weigh in on my choices):
-A high quality quick-detach vertical foregrip like LaRue's FUG or the Tangodown Stubby VFG.
-Troy 2-point sling and sling mounts
-Rail covers, probably larue index clips, I'm open to ideas here.
-LaRue offset 1" quick-detach light mount holding a Fenix (not sure on model yet)

631c1fce.jpg

cf9029bb.jpg

5e0737e7.jpg

20b752d2.jpg

72c61a85.jpg

c42518e0.jpg

ee226111.jpg
This last picture has me thinking about chopping her to 14.5 and pinning a FH. thoughts?
Sorry about the quality of these, I officially promise better pictures by the end of the month. :)

Looks great, I really like your buttstock choice.:s0155:
Thanks!

Throw in a set of BUIS and you'll be set...

The Magpul XTM panels are sweet for rail covers.

Nice rifle.
I'll toss some Magpul BUIS on there, I don't want much extra weight since I'll be running other accessories as well. The XTMs are cool but as I understand it, they are not cut-friendly. I want to cover all the rail not used by accessories which is going to mean larue clips or something that I can cut.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top