JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
In the last 6 months, he has gifted me at LEAST one firearm. I love my dad. He is my best friend. He's broke down, limps, needs a cane. Can hit a quarter at 600 yards. But we throw down a few drinks and talk guns. Nothing is better than that. I moved back to OR to be near him. This is for you, old man!!

My dad is a no gun handing down, no college fund saving, never around when I was a kid, doesn't come to visit his first grand child, out of his mind, running from alien, a-hole.

You should feel lucky.

I am lucky. I'm a single dad. I took custody of my daughter when she was 9 months old. She's almost 16 now. And still calls me "Daddy".

My dad passed away in 2010. I loved him, and I know he loved me, but we never had what I'd call a super close relationship. Wish like hell I could have talked shop with him about some stuff.

Nothing I wouldn't trade for one more frozen morning duck hunt at Klamath, or an afternoon drowning flies on Emigrant Creek.
Value every minute of your time together, it comes to an end way too soon.

Congrats, enjoy the time no matter what.

I lost my dad in 85, I would give anything to have a day with him.

Time flies, I am happy for you and I bet he is extremely happy.

Some of my best memories are camping in the Grand Tetons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

My Dad was a strict disciplinarian, closed-minded and intolerant of any debate or discussion from kids.

When I became a punk teenager he determined the occasional back of his hand to the side of my head was no longer having the desired effect, and so I was required to go toe-to-toe bare fisted with him (always resulting in me taking the fall).

I had to remove my .22 from the rack in my bedroom and hold it on him to make him stop beating my mother (just prior to the divorce). He promptly took away all my guns and directed the attention he'd been giving Mom to me.

We had a greater "falling out" over his disrespecting a friend of mine when I was in my 20's, and we barely spoke for a number of years. True to form, It was I, not him, who finally broke, and made overtures toward restoration of our relationship.

Then, by the grace of God, he became associated with the Masons. He became a dedicated member of that fraternal organization. A changed man toward all relationships including and foremost his family, we were from that time forward best of friends.

Even in his worst years, there were more good times than bad, and he gave me the love of hunting: the most valuable thing in my entire life.

My dad was well intentioned yet not a good masculine role model. His ethics were good yet he failed to protect my sister and I from our mother's emotional abuse and neglect. He and I had nothing in common and he couldn't speak with me on a level as a fellow adult man. I learned from his bad choice in marriage to avoid over-bearing and self-absorbed bxtchy women. My dad amazingly bought me my first gun a Ruger 10/22. Rip dad.

my dad is awesome. we camp together, fish together, ride four wheelers together when ever we can. he taught me how to shoot, hunt, fish, camp, water ski, work on cars, just about everything a man needs to know. when my mom got sick and passed a few years ago dad took care of her at home until she passed just like she wanted. i couldnt have asked for a better role model, he worked his tail off so that his family could have a good life. the first camping trip of the season is coming up shortly, as well as his 84th birthday. i can hardly wait to get the four wheelers out and hit the trails.

U.S. navy vet korea

resized spring break 036.jpg

In the last 6 months, he has gifted me at LEAST one firearm. I love my dad. He is my best friend. He's broke down, limps, needs a cane. Can hit a quarter at 600 yards. But we throw down a few drinks and talk guns. Nothing is better than that. I moved back to OR to be near him. This is for you, old man!!

Enjoy the time you have with your dad. Mine passed in Feb 1988. Only a few months after our last family hike in the Cascades. Should have noticed more, he was really struggling to keep going. It took all of our daughters, (all 5 of them) too get him to make it to the top of Dock Butte. Been 25 years, but we still miss him. My turn next I guess, I am almost as old as he was then, now.

Enjoy the time you have with your dad. Mine passed in Feb 1988. Only a few months after our last family hike in the Cascades. Should have noticed more, he was really struggling to keep going. It took all of our daughters, (all 5 of them) too get him to make it to the top of Dock Butte. Been 25 years, but we still miss him. My turn next I guess, I am almost as old as he was then, now.

The medical care is much better now. You have a long time yet. My dad died at 42 and I did not think I would hit that so went a little crazy in the military to speed up things and now I just turned 46.

Just keep going:)

My dad gave me a 5K case of CCI41 primers on Saturday, 2 lbs of H335 the week before, and usually stuffs a hundred dollar bill in my hand (only for gun stuff son) every other time I see him. :) Along with all the other support he's given me (and my family) throughout my life, he is an awesome example of how I want to be with my girls.

My dad told me he screwed up.

He said if he had any sense at all he would have trapped me inside a condom and flushed me down the toilet.

My dad was a gentleman with values, 40 years older than me. So we clashed hard in the 60's & 70's because I was a complete A-Hole teen with an electric guitar and all the stuff that seemed to go with it at the time. We patched things up over the decades, mostly due to my moving to another state, becoming responsible and productive, and a father as well. He was always fine, I just needed to learn that for myself.

In 2002 I had a hot career going with good money, frequent overseas travel and TONS of time off to enjoy the rewards. Dad was diagnosed with CHF and given 6 months. It was a no-brainer to drop that gig like a bad habit, move back to Portland and hang with my folks. It was an honor to transport my father's fiddles, easels, paints and oxygen tanks - and attend to his every need at the end. He died "right on schedule" at 87.

It has taken a decade of struggling (starting over again from scratch) to get another solid career on track, surely postponing my retirement by at least a couple years. But worth every moment to have spent that final half a year, as fellow adults, father and son, with Pop.

Life doesn't come with a crystal ball, so I will always be thankful that we had the heads-up.

My dad was a great man. Always worked, always paid his bills on time, made decent money...and gave me the best life a kid could ever want. We spent every free moment he had in the woods doing one thing or another. Learned everything I know about guns from him too. He died unexpectedly about 10 years ago, but I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a lot of time with him in his last few years. I miss him a lot. I was gonna write something long and wordy but I can't without choking up.

Sucks that most of us don't have are father's here.

It also seems like I have no family left. Oh well

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR