J&B Firearm Sales
Landhawk Arms
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Southwest Firearms Forum
Defensive Arts

Moving to WA after buying a can in Iowa

Reactions
Hello. I got a bunch of questions I’ll try to post in the right areas of the forum.
I purchased a can in early November here in Iowa. All paperwork submitted and my local dealer is holding it.
Got a job in Camas and will be moving there in January.
What is the proper way to get the can transferee to WA when my stamp arrives?
TIA.

Camelfilter

Reactions
  • Law Around Here
  • Three Bags of Trash
  • Woke Up Like This
Seems you have a multi step problem.

Best would be to contact the ATF directly on how to go about it.

Update your stamp info, after approval, then have dealer in Iowa ship to dealer in WA. Have dealer in Iowa ship to dealer in WA pending approval, try to have your info updated while pending. No idea, yet am curious.

Secondarily to that would be contacting a reputable NFA dealer in Washington.

This is assuming that suppressors are still legal to own in WA, honestly no idea there. Last I had recollected, they were legal to own, yet not legal to use. Not much of a following of NFA ins & outs, less so up WA way, however am minimally interested in learning (for OR).

Reno

Reactions
That or call the ATF and cancel, being you aren’t that far into your wait. Get your $200 back.

If buying through the dealer, hopefully don’t take a huge restocking fee.

Move to WA.

Buy it again.

User 1234

Reactions
Yes, suppressors are still legal to buy and own in Washington. Sporting Systems is good to go and will be able to guide you through the process.

11Charlie

Reactions
  • National Rifle Association
  • Army
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2017
  • Law Around Here
  • Woke Up Like This
Thanks all. I reached out to Sporting Systems.

BTW I moved to IA from California in 2017. So I am very familiar w/ an oppressive government unfortunately. On a plus side WA is getting 3 solid Republican voters
We always need voters that vote our way!!

bikemutt

Reactions
My understanding is this form is not required, but recommended, ATF form 5320.20.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11361/download

I've always furnished ATF with one prior to a move within WA, and always been approved. If moving from one state to another it may prove useful if the NFA item(s) are not lawful to possess in the new state of residence, better to hear about it before finding out about it.

I'll stipulate to being more paranoid than I probably need to be about NFA items; we all live with our choices :)

Reactions
Lower receivers are still easy in WA, 4473 only and no delay unless FBI rejects the sale.
Yes, but since Oregon and Washington outlawed private sales they have been keeping a registry of all firearms. If Washington goes full-Virginia in the future, then AR lowers purchased in Washington will be on the radar for confiscation.

Reactions
Just call ATF and change your address, that is if you have one yet? Why would anyone want to move to this lousy Democratic State? Oh well, we can always use another vote out here.

User 1234

Reactions
As far as I know a 4473-only sale is not recorded by the state. If the dealer closes down the dealer sends the records to the ATF in D.C.

User 1234

Reactions
But yes, if possible I would buy whatever your needs require before you make the move. And while we do have some unconstitutional laws here, they don’t hold a candle to the California tyranny you lived under.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is a great guy to work with! I have had several transactions with him and will continue to do business with him. He is my go to dealer!
    • hker71
  • Straight Shooter Supply
    1.00 star(s)
    A relative of mine recently went through this place to purchase a handgun. They were rude to her, lied to her, and must be new to this FFL stuff...
    • FullMetalJerk
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is great. Easy to deal with, super low prices on his transfers.
    • DizzyJ
    5.00 star(s)
    Had my first transaction with Steve and will be recommending him to anyone in my circle. Good guy with a really helpful attitude and goes the...
    • SonnyJim
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    This is the closest gun close to my house and they have always been super nice. I have bought two guns off them and sold one of mine to them.
    • storminnorm44

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS