JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I am a USPSA shooter from the Midwest, and I will be moving to Portland. I'm trying to find information about moving with guns, transporting guns, carrying, joining gun clubs/ranges, pursuing shooting sports, etc. My google-fu isn't that great, so I want to check with you. I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

-- What's the best way to transport my guns? Ship from FFL to FFL, or drive them myself across the country? (I have a small collection.)

-- Where can I learn about Portland and Oregon gun laws? (Something understandable for the laymen -- no law code, please.)

-- What is the process for getting a CC license?

-- I will be renting an apartment or house. Are there laws/regulations I need to watch out for?

-- What are some good clubs/ranges around Portland?

-- Where are the closest USPSA matches?

Thanks!

I do not live in Portland, just near it, and it has a lot of restrictions on carrying of weapons and even storage in your home. More so than most other places. You will love Oregon, just maybe not Portland.

Transport the unloaded guns locked up in your vehicle with the ammo separate.

Get a CCW as soon as you can, it renders at least some of Portland's sillier laws void. It requires either a NRA basic handgun safety course or a DD214 to get. Some counties require you to have an appointment to turn in the paperwork, get fingerprinted, and photographed. No shooting/qualifying is necessary.

For learning about Oregon gun laws, check out Oregon Firearms Federation. That's the state level organization that scares the politicians around here from doing anything too stupid.

The other stuff I leave to the Portlanders to answer...

I did a whole bunch of training (Gunsite and other places). Does it have to be NRA? (I notice some language about hunter's education and other courses.)

Until I get my CCW, can I transport guns (1) into the state, and (2) between the range/match site and home?

How is Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws by Kevin Starrett? The publication date is 2008. Is it outdated?

I did a whole bunch of training (Gunsite and other places). Does it have to be NRA? (I notice some language about hunter's education and other courses.)

Until I get my CCW, can I transport guns (1) into the state, and (2) between the range/match site and home?

AS long as your handguns are not concealed you can transport them - it only applies to handguns not rifles and shotguns. There is no registration requirement for any firearms. Obtain your concealed weapons license. If you are fishing or hunting or going to and from you are legally lawed to carry a concealed weapon (but you met have a hunting/fishing license) other then some stupid carry laws in Portland- firearms laws i the erst of Oregon are pretty mild.:s0014:

Why would anyone in their right mind move to Portland???
You need to see your shrink as soon as you can get an appointment . . .

Sheldon

...Or Multnomah County for that matter! If you're going to be in either one here's hoping you have a good job, it's getting more and more expensive on a twice yearly basis to live in either one, TWICE as bad living in BOTH.

Kevin Starrett's book really is the bible to understanding the laws here, and is not outdated at all. Well written, and it comes from a staunch advocate of our 2A rights.
Try to avoid living in Portland...much higher taxes, and as you're learning, ridiculous gun laws. It's not called "Havana on the Willamette" without reason.
Clackamas County, just to the South, has several nice little towns, and a much friendlier stance on gun rights. The commute is not bad if you will be working in Portland.
As for clubs and ranges, my personal favorite is Tri County Gun Club, in Sherwood. Unfortunately, it's full and the waiting list is long. I'd be happy to take you as a guest once you've settled in.
Good luck...there's a lot to like out here.

Agreed, Oregon is a great place, but watch out for Multnomah County and especially Portland - they are NOT gun friendly. The only thing that keeps it sane is the state preemption law that prevents them from banning them altogether. But you really need an Oregon CHL to get past that hurdle. Once you have that, you're quite a bit more free with your guns. To avoid some of the silly PDX stuff, try the outskirts of the Portland area as already suggested above - places like Tigard, Tualatin, Milwaukie, Gladstone, West Linn, Canby, Oregon City and others are all a relatively easy drive to PDX if that's where you work. I work in Portland, but live 15 miles outside of Portland. That's the way to go in my book. I'm a life-long native of the area.

There are some good indoor ranges in the area, outdoors you'll have to go further. Portland Gun Club is right in Portland and is a place you can shoot trap/skeet. Out further is Douglas Ridge Rifle club (pistols allowed too) - I know they do some competition shooting out there, but not sure which ones. Most clubs around right now have a waiting list - I'm on one estimated to be 3 years long at this point. But for the competitions, you don't usually have to be a member of the club.

Number one piece of advice:

DON'T LIVE IN PORTLAND!

Live in Beaverton, Tigard, Tualatin, Oregon City, Milwauki, ANY bedroom community NEXT to Portland. Just don't live IN Portland!

I am a USPSA shooter from the Midwest, and I will be moving to Portland. I'm trying to find information about moving with guns, transporting guns, carrying, joining gun clubs/ranges, pursuing shooting sports, etc. My google-fu isn't that great, so I want to check with you. I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

-- What's the best way to transport my guns? Ship from FFL to FFL, or drive them myself across the country? (I have a small collection.)

Drive them yourself. Most of the Midwest states are fairly easygoing on gun laws, just make sure they're secured somewhere where you can't easily get to them and don't let anyone search your vehicle ;)

-- Where can I learn about Portland and Oregon gun laws? (Something understandable for the laymen -- no law code, please.)

Kevin Starrett's book is the best to have. It's an easy read and isn't all stuffy and legalistic like some other books. The short answer to the gun law part is that there aren't many. No mag capacity limits, no NFA restrictions, no waiting period, open carry is legal unless a municipality prohibits it (although you can still open carry in those municipalities if you have your CHL:rolleyes:). No background checks for private sales, although background checks are required at gun shows. No prohibited places for carry (except courthouses) if you have your CHL. You can carry into bars, churches, schools, malls, hospitals, etc... For being a Blue State the gun laws are pretty easy.

-- What is the process for getting a CC license?

That's been covered here already, but basically you take your 3 hour course, make and appointment, get photoed and fingerprinted and get your CHL in the mail after (I think) 45 days.

-- I will be renting an apartment or house. Are there laws/regulations I need to watch out for?

Nope. Portland has some arcane BS about having to report the theft of your firearm along with a serial number within a day or two or be fined, they have a few other stupid laws that lead to fines too. I can't remember them all.

-- What are some good clubs/ranges around Portland?

I hear Tri-City is a good one, but I've never been there. The Clackamas County Public Safety Range is a good one for handguns, it's part of the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office but is open to the public. You can rent guns, etc but you have to buy and shoot their ammunition. There also some good spots up in the woods if you're willing to drive.

-- Where are the closest USPSA matches?

Dundee, Douglas Ridge (Eagle Creek area), Albany... Check it out here:
http://columbia-cascade.org/

Lastly....

For the love of God and all things Holy, don't move to Multnomah County. Higher taxes, higher fees, stupider laws. Social policies that attract the homeless. Stay out of Multnomah County.

From the web, I gather the main disadvantage of living in Portland for gun folks is the "no loaded firearms in public places" law. I don't see anything else.

Lastly....

For the love of God and all things Holy, don't move to Multnomah County. Higher taxes, higher fees, stupider laws. Social policies that attract the homeless. Stay out of Multnomah County.

Amen. I recant what I said about Portland. Stay out of all of Multnomah County!

Read this article for a little more info - this went into effect last year:

<broken link removed>

But as several have already stated - much of this doesn't apply IF you have a current Oregon CHL (Oregon does not recognize any other state's CCW/CHL permits). Now you can see why folks keep saying you should stay out of Multnomah County - go to Clackamas or Washington counties - each adjacent to Multnomah and works just fine for a commute to PDX, if you don't mind a little traffic ;)

Thanks! I'll just get a CHL, I guess. I mainly shoot at matches or at the range anyway.

Let me add one question -- what's your favorite gun shop in the Portland area?

Last Edited:
From the web, I gather the main disadvantage of living in Portland for gun folks is the "no loaded firearms in public places" law. I don't see anything else.

Taxes and silliness. I'm a Paramedic in Multnomah County (Portland, Gresham, Wood Village, Fairview, Troutdale) and it's not a place I would ever live. Portland's homeless policies draw more homeless to the city. I see them all the time, talking about how they moved to the city from wherever because there was more support (welfare) for the homeless in the city.

Here's a tax that they're considering instituting in Portland:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/05/portland_street_fee_would_cost.html

And that's on top of the "Arts Tax" that was voted in a few years ago:

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/revenue/60076

Here's a nice little gem about property taxes. In Oregon they're capped at 1% of property value, with the exception of certain bonds and levies. Guess where the taxes are so high that they're capped?

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/12/property_tax_compression_comes.html

Seriously. Live in Multnomah County if you want to, but don't say we didn't warn you :s0002:

When I want to transport firearms, I put them in the vehicle and start driving. Last I knew there not illegal nor should moving them. I won't fall for any Nazi rule (opinion laws).

FWIW along with the others, I urge you to consider any other place to live than Portland. That just is not a place anyone valuing life and freedom should choose to live.

Far...far... away!

As other have said, just get your CHL and don't worry about it. I live in Portland and have no problem transporting firearms for shooting and hunting. Also try out Tri County Gun Club for shooting. I looked at all the ranges in the area when I moved here and found it to be the best. They just started taking on new member again.

Northwest Armory ( http://www.nwarmory.com/ ) is my go to shop. Nice and no BS. If you know what you want and need ZERO! service Kieth's ( http://www.keithssporting.com/ ) will have a great price and likely have it in stock. Curt's Discount Shoots' Supply is great for AR stuff.

Richard

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews