JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's good you're clear on that, because the ramifications are significant financially both ways. It would take almost nothing for a PSU student to report you (they love doing things like that) and you find yourself expelled from your program and campus for exercising a right. Then back to square one.
I have already decided I just will not carry a firearm while on PSU grounds. So no issues should arise.

Denver is a bubblegumhole. I can't say it is much better than Portland as I have never been to Portland.
I'd take a TRIP out there/here (where you were EXACTLY thinking about re-locating to). Look around. Rrrrrright...... Before, absolutely trusting an internet opinion.

But.....that's me.

Aloha, Mark

PS.........

1706740643463.png

1706740729547.png

1706740466647.png

Last Edited:
To answer the actual question, generally yes in theory it's possible to get around Portland without a car and I have known people who have done that. It is accommodating towards bikes and the transit system seems to have decent coverage in the city. Whether or not it's going to be safe or pleasant is an entirely different question. In terms of tweakers, junkies, thieves, drug dealers, and how much influence violent marxist scumbags have over city life and politics, it's easily one of the worst cities in the country and certainly the worst I've been to. I've heard even people from other cities with horrible reputations express shock and dismay about how much worse Portland is.

It is cheaper for me to go to grad school then many other alternatives.
Just out of curiosity, what is it you plan to study? Does PSU have a particularly good program in that subject, and is your prospective major professor well known in that field? Those things will have a big influence on your job prospects after graduation.

Regarding cost, out-of-state tuition in Oregon is pretty steep. Do you plan to establish residency first, or are you getting a waiver through an assistantship or something?
And as far as the firearms go, I do believe it is a policy but it is not a crime. And I understand the implications and the difference.
Just so you are clear, yes the PSU ban is a school policy, but state law (ORS 166.377 and ORS 166.370) makes it a crime to violate their policy. If you have any doubts, you might want to google it and read it.
And yes, old legends say Portlanders disdain umbrellas. Folks with them are the tourists.
Tourists? In Portland in the winter? Yeah, right. LOL

Tourists would visit Fargo frequently during the winter months, probably to feel like they were "living the movie"... well, they were usually greeted by -60 with wind chill. Their visits were probably spent huddled in their Best Western (whilst learning that most of the movie took place in MN).

The PNW is nice to visit during winter, the rain scares away those that seem to melt in a bit of moisture :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, what is it you plan to study? Does PSU have a particularly good program in that subject, and is your prospective major professor well known in that field? Those things will have a big influence on your job prospects after graduation.

Regarding cost, out-of-state tuition in Oregon is pretty steep. Do you plan to establish residency first, or are you getting a waiver through an assistantship or something?

Just so you are clear, yes the PSU ban is a school policy, but state law (ORS 166.377 and ORS 166.370) makes it a crime to violate their policy. If you have any doubts, you might want to google it and read it.

I plan to study Urban and Regional Planning. Portland State University has a great reputation for their program and offers some good chances to work hands on with folks as well as some respected professors. Due to the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education I qualify for in state tuition (https://www.wiche.edu/) making it a cheaper alternative than my other choices. The schools for that course of study here are not as good a school and rather expensive it makes sense for me to move to Portland.

And now that I am aware, I simply will not carry a firearm. It sucks but it seems to be pretty common.

As far as winter goes, I am not really worried about the winters in Portland. I grew up in Chicago which has some very cold and icy winters.

It to sounds like you know what you're getting into with homelessness and crime so, ya it's definitely a no car kind of place. If I was trying to get away from some of the problems in the city I would move west where the public transit rail car thing goes. You could move to Hillsboro near the orenco area apartments if you could afford it and take the rail transit from right downstairs to Portland if you wanted to improve your living conditions.
I know lots of young guys that live in Portland and some of them love it but it takes a certain kind of person to live there. Check it out first and i mean really walk around the city in the areas you are planning to be because you might change your mind.
Good luck

Urban and Regional Planning. Portland State University has a great reputation
That's some funny sh!t right there!! The graduates must move far away and the drop-outs get hired by the City of Potland. Potland has some of the worst "planning" I've seen. Just drive Glisan or Division or Powell or 162nd or any other of the myriad streets they've destroyed traffic flow on in the name of empty buses and imaginary bicyclists.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top