JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Moving from Denver, to Portland, and then to Chicago? Seems like a continual downgrade in living standards to me.

Edit. I lived in Albany OR without a car, and.also no home internet.. rode a bicycle everywhere. Supposedly Portland is still "good for cyclists" but thats likely propaganda and ignores completely the violence and general nastyness out there... and then there's the rain. It rains 8 months of the year on average here. Some years,.less
Some years, more.
Denver is a bubblegumhole. I can't say it is much better than Portland as I have never been to Portland. However Chicago is my home and I don't think you realize that Chicago for the most part is still a pretty nice place. It has its downsides but I would say it is a great place to live and housing is still affordable. This video outlines a lot of the problems with the city but overall I would have no qualms about moving back.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWdsK3toLjM

I have heard that you folks do not use umbrellas and that someone carrying an umbrella is easily seen as a non-native.
I don't know where that comes from. Lot's of people use umbrellas.
I do not mind the rain.
That's good, because we get lots of it.
With regards to the policies, I do believe it is legal to CCW.
This is from the PSU website, so I would assume the policy is still in effect unless they are really bad about updating it:

"The prohibition is effective whether or not an individual holds a concealed handgun license."

The applicable statutes are ORS 166.370 and ORS 166.377, which allow the board of a public university to ban concealed carry on property it controls.

I also have read that the body that created the policy is no longer a thing so the policy may not be invalid. Either way I will cross that bridge when I arrive at it and decide what to do.
Even tho the Oregon State Board of Higher Education is no longer "a thing", it looks as its successor agency, the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission continued the same policy:

Not trying to discourage you, just want you to be informed.

I am planning on moving to Portland, Oregon either this year or next year. I am wondering if it is as livable without a car as I have heard from people on youtube and reddit. I am single and really like the idea of living without a vehicle while I am in graduate school as it seems to be a way to save money and offer a lot more convenience. I currently live in Denver, Colorado but it is not really a great city for public transit due to the design of their system. We have the same issues with homeless and drug use that plague the Portland mass transit system. I plan to CCW as well as keep my situational awareness and to not make myself an easy target.

But with that being said I plan to attend Portland State University. I am in my early 40s and do not plan to be going out late or acting like I did in my 20s. Meaning no late night drinking or any of that since I got that out of my system when I was young. I plan to try and find some work as well. I would like to live by Portland State and be able to bike or take the bus/rail if possible to go to class, the gym, work, and run errands like grocery shopping if possible. Is that a realistic thing to do in Portland for a single man?
I'd advise skipping Portland. While there is public transportation I have been attempted to be beat up by a group of teens, dealt with secondhand meth smoke and attempted to be stabbed on Portland public transportation, and attempted to be set on fire while walking to a bus stop. I have also given hands only cpr on a junkie on it. I also have not been a frequent user of it. Your mileage will vary.

People who live here have warned the OP what it's like. Just 3 min ago I was waiting for traffic to clear to turn left. Light turn yellow, then red, then 2 oncoming cars run the red light which means I have to wait for them to clear. Then I start turning left and idiot walks into the crosswalk against the red light meaning I'm still blocking intersection. I laid in the horn and made him stop and go back. This crap happens all the time nearly every day. There are no laws here. It is a bubblegumhole. Riding a bike downtown you will break body parts eventually as many drivers are high out of their mind and many don't obey any laws and don't have insurance or even license plates. Talked to friend who came here for conference. They told all attendees do not leave the hotel, Portland is not safe.

If OP chooses to ignore advice there is nothing that can be done. He has been warned. I'm out of this thread.

Last Edited:
I don't know where that comes from. Lot's of people use umbrellas.

That's good, because we get lots of it.

This is from the PSU website, so I would assume the policy is still in effect unless they are really bad about updating it:

"The prohibition is effective whether or not an individual holds a concealed handgun license."

The applicable statutes are ORS 166.370 and ORS 166.377, which allow the board of a public university to ban concealed carry on property it controls.

Even tho the Oregon State Board of Higher Education is no longer "a thing", it looks as its successor agency, the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission continued the same policy:

Not trying to discourage you, just want you to be informed.
Thank you. I am not too worried about CCWing while on campus. I do not want to risk grad school over that. But I appreciate the information.

The umbrella this was something I was told. Either way I do not mind the rain. And I do wish to be informed as much as possible, so I appreciate that.

People who live here have warned the OP what it's like. Just 3 min ago I was waiting for traffic to clear to turn left. Light turn yellow, then red, then 2 oncoming cars run the red light which means I have to wait for them to clear. Then I start turning left and idiot walks into the crosswalk against the red light meaning I'm still blocking intersection. I laid in the horn and made him stop and go back. This crap happens all the time nearly every day. There are no laws here. It is a bubblegumhole. Riding a bike downtown you will break body parts eventually as many drivers are high out of their mind and many don't obey any laws and don't have insurance or even license plates. Talked to friend who came here for conference. They told all attendees do not leave the hotel, Portland is not safe.

If OP chooses to ignore advice there is nothing that can be done. He has been warned. I'm out of this thread.
With regards to people blowing stop lights, this happens all of the time here in Denver. It is very common and I make sure to wait a few seconds for these people to blow the lights before I move through the transportation.

You @CyberPunk1981 are getting a lot of people who live near, in, or work in Portland; telling you that its bad. If Denver is a "hole", Portland may be worse around PSU.

You are also getting information that tells you PSU has an official policy of no firearms allowed even with CCW.
I appreciate that but the fact is that I plan to move there. It is cheaper for me to go to grad school then many other alternatives. And as far as the firearms go, I do believe it is a policy but it is not a crime. And I understand the implications and the difference.

I appreciate that but the fact is that I plan to move there. It is cheaper for me to go to grad school then many other alternatives. And as far as the firearms go, I do believe it is a policy but it is not a crime. And I understand the implications and the difference.
It's good you're clear on that, because the ramifications are significant financially both ways. It would take almost nothing for a PSU student to report you (they love doing things like that) and you find yourself expelled from your program and campus for exercising a right. Then back to square one.

I'm originally from Potland, and live here in Colorado, I can tell you, Denver and even Boulder ain't even close to the same level of sh!t that Potland has become! The once a month trip to Colorado Springs is bad enough as it is, and it's not anywhere near as bad as Denver, though they are sure trying hard to get there!

Before committing to moving to Portland, I recommend actually visiting, see for your self if it's livable, and if you can actually stand it!

A few things your going to want to check out there;
How reliable Tri-Met is, vs other means of getting around! What areas they cover and what they don't, as well as transit times, and peak hours! Your gonna get an eye full, I wanted ya!
Cost of housing at the maximum distance your willing to hike or bike.
Cost of living is much MUCH higher in Oregon, not just Potland, your going to need to make lists and adjust your budget accordingly, wants vs Needs!

Bless your heart, go forth little one, and thrive!

Ahhh, Portland. Though not a native of said place, my wife is. We live north of Vancouver, WA now, and even the wife won't venture into Portland. Homeless camps get moved around the city like chess pieces, all to create the illusion there is no "Homeless Problem". The homeless population is rife with drug addicts and people with severe mental issues. Even the coveted and expensive "Pearl District" isn't immune to Portlands societal problems. Portlands large REI store is closing down., like so many other downtown stores. Homeless set up camp right on the sidewalks of Portland, panhandle, shoplift, defecate in public, and openly use drugs. Plenty of syringes to be seen on the sidewalks. And let's not forget to mention the "Protesters" of any just cause under the rainbow. Societal disruption is key to Portland, including violent riots. Antifa (they are nothing more than rebranded anarchists) are just waiting for something to trigger them. The lunatics are indeed running the asylum. If somehow Trump were to be re-elected (a good chance there) Portland would blow up like a munitions dump in Afghanistan. Best of luck on your future endeavors.

Ahhh, Portland. Though not a native of said place, my wife is. We live north of Vancouver, WA now, and even the wife won't venture into Portland. Homeless camps get moved around the city like chess pieces, all to create the illusion there is no "Homeless Problem". The homeless population is rife with drug addicts and people with severe mental issues. Even the coveted and expensive "Pearl District" isn't immune to Portlands societal problems. Portlands large REI store is closing down., like so many other downtown stores. Homeless set up camp right on the sidewalks of Portland, panhandle, shoplift, defecate in public, and openly use drugs. Plenty of syringes to be seen on the sidewalks. And let's not forget to mention the "Protesters" of any just cause under the rainbow. Societal disruption is key to Portland, including violent riots. Antifa (they are nothing more than rebranded anarchists) are just waiting for something to trigger them. The lunatics are indeed running the asylum. If somehow Trump were to be re-elected (a good chance there) Portland would blow up like a munitions dump in Afghanistan. Best of luck on your future endeavors.
So much truth here! :s0155:

I'm originally from Potland, and live here in Colorado, I can tell you, Denver and even Boulder ain't even close to the same level of sh!t that Potland has become! The once a month trip to Colorado Springs is bad enough as it is, and it's not anywhere near as bad as Denver, though they are sure trying hard to get there!

Before committing to moving to Portland, I recommend actually visiting, see for your self if it's livable, and if you can actually stand it!

A few things your going to want to check out there;
How reliable Tri-Met is, vs other means of getting around! What areas they cover and what they don't, as well as transit times, and peak hours! Your gonna get an eye full, I wanted ya!
Cost of housing at the maximum distance your willing to hike or bike.
Cost of living is much MUCH higher in Oregon, not just Potland, your going to need to make lists and adjust your budget accordingly, wants vs Needs!

Bless your heart, go forth little one, and thrive!
That is the one part I just can't for the life of me understand, cost. Seattle is the same way. Places you could not get me to live if they were giving them away are SKY HIGH. People are paying insane money to literally live in the middle of a 3d world 💩 hole. Some of the high end places do look DAMN nice but, just outside your door is the 3d world. Amazing.

Public transportation in Portland is ok during the day. Evenings after 7 not so much. Unless you are looking for a drug deal. Portland has been changing for sometime but after the summer of 2020 - George Floyd and then the decriminalization of drugs (heroin, fentanyl, meth) a little after, with the added election of now Soros - supported Multnomah County DA Micheal Schmidt who doesn't prosecute crimes, it really has become a cesspool.

Frankly, I'd look at commuting to the city. And yes, old legends say Portlanders disdain umbrellas. Folks with them are the tourists.

Have fun in grad school and at Portland State. Having come here from Colorado (Boulder) in 1981 I'd tell you the Pacific Northwest is terrific.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top