JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
First of all, you don't want to live in Multnomah County. Not only is loaded open carry illegal there (unless you have a CHL, or are hunting), just possessing a loaded magazine in your car is illegal. Multnomah County also has, or recently had a county income tax. Portland itself has an art tax, and soon a road tax. It's downtown area is also the home of Oregon's largest university, PSU. This is the reason that Multnomah County votes 70% Democratic. It's also full of whacko environmentalists. To actual Portland residents, the TV show "Portlandia" is not a comedy show. In their view it's a documentary. Portland also hates cars. There's almost no parking to be found, and when you do find it, it's $10 per day. I'd also avoid Gresham. It's the "poor" section of Multnomah County, where Portland likes to dump all of its social problems.

For places to live I would strongly consider the West side of Clackamas County. Towns like Sandy, Boring, Damascus, Oregon City, Wilsonville, and Happy Valley are outside the "crazy zone" (Multnomah County), prices are relatively low, with relatively low taxes, and they are closer (within 30 minutes) to hunting, fishing, skiing, camping, and shooting. Damascus, Boring, Sandy, and surrounding places are what would be called "horse country" in some places. There are lots of homes on a couple acres or more, with great views of the mountains and surrounding countryside, with room for livestock, kids, gardens, etc.

Here's the view from my neighborhood: damascusview.jpg

The beach is still only a little over an hour away, and you can commute to downtown in about 30 minutes (20 miles). The Douglas Ridge Rifle Club and the Estacada Rod & Gun Club, both near Sandy, are within a few minutes of most of these locations. Shooting areas in the Mt. Hood National Forest lie just a few minutes further East. I would stay away from the West side of Portland, like Beaverton and Hillsboro because that whole area is a rats maze of suburbia, "business" parks, and terrible traffic congestion.

You can open carry loaded nearly anyplace in Oregon, with the notable exception of anywhere in Multnomah County. Getting a CHL is easy. The requirement is a 3 to 4 hour class on handling handguns and self-defense rules. No range time is required. It does not have to be an NRA class, but it has to be accredited. Most NRA classes are accredited. If your DD-214 specifically mentions handgun training then that counts. If not, you need an accredited class certificate from somewhere. I got a CHL primarily to eliminate worries about how I transport my handguns, and where in Oregon I do so. The CHL overrides any local ordinances. It also permits you to carry loaded while operating an ATV. There are places to shoot in the National Forests as well as many gun clubs and ranges. There's also lots of BLM land in Eastern Oregon for hunting and target shooting.

Like everywhere, there are good gun shops and poor ones in Oregon. Gun Broker and Northwest Armory are at the top of my list. The Gun Room, and to a lesser extent Keith's are on my list of places to avoid. Keith's has good prices and great selection, but the customer service can be extremely poor. There are no permits or registration required in Oregon, other than the CHL if you intend to carry concealed, and an instant background check when buying from a dealer or at a gun show. Face to face transactions with Oregon residents require no paperwork at all. If you go across state lines (sell to someone in WA) then you need to use an FFL, which usually runs about $25.

Stay active on this board and you'll learn a lot, really just about everything you need to know about firearms and living in Oregon is right here.

Last Edited:
Thanks, 3MTA3! That's some good write up! I had a really good impression of Portland during my job interview. Everyone I met was plenty normal and buff. I can see it's not everyone's cup of tea, sure, but you have to take the bad with the good, and focus on the good, like the amazing food and beer in Portland.

To Oregonians, Portland is probably a little like what Chicago is to us Midwesterners. Fellow shooters always think I'm going to get mugged by black teenagers, bubblegum-raped by liberals, and curb-stomped by cops every time I go to Chicago. I always get robbed -- by the parking, but that's about it. (You think $10/day is bad? Try $35 for two hours.) I tend to meet hot women there. Hoping to do the same in Portland.

You might look into the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club. It's 80 miles to the south, very reasonable and a huge, beautiful range! I'm a member and it's so great that the drive doesn't deter me at all. :D
P.S. Oops, forgot! Whole trip is on I-5, so pretty quick, streight shot! If I'm with the wife we often stop at a winery or something. Lots to do down there!

Last Edited:
That's a pretty good sell there, Zeke!

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club is about 5 miles south of Sandy, Oregon. That's the only place in this part of the state with a formal 1000 yard range capability. There are places on public lands (NF, BLM, etc.) where you can set up an informal 1000 yard range, but you'll have to look around some.

I'm also a member at the Portland Gun Club, which is south of Gresham, near Happy Valley, Boring, and Damascus. It's shotgun only, but they have trap and skeet, and sporting clays. Membership gets you a discount on ammo and it's only $75 per year. I can leave the house and be trap shooting in 10 minutes.

Thanks, 3MTA3! That's some good write up! I had a really good impression of Portland during my job interview. Everyone I met was plenty normal and buff. I can see it's not everyone's cup of tea, sure, but you have to take the bad with the good, and focus on the good, like the amazing food and beer in Portland.

To Oregonians, Portland is probably a little like what Chicago is to us Midwesterners. Fellow shooters always think I'm going to get mugged by black teenagers, bubblegum-raped by liberals, and curb-stomped by cops every time I go to Chicago. I always get robbed -- by the parking, but that's about it. (You think $10/day is bad? Try $35 for two hours.) I tend to meet hot women there. Hoping to do the same in Portland.

In Portland it's usually about $8 for 2 hours, with a $10-$20 all day maximum. When I worked at the World Trade Center (for Enron, on the 13th floor, how's that for daring fate?) it was $17 a day in the underground lot under the building. Parking 3 blocks away it was "only" $10.

Thanks for all that good info, Zeke! I located the Portland Gun Club, except I'm not much of a shotgunner. Maybe I'll pick up a new sport and see you at the range! Time to buy a new gun!!!

I notice that Douglas Ridge has USPSA...

Thanks for all that good info, Zeke! I located the Portland Gun Club, except I'm not much of a shotgunner. Maybe I'll pick up a new sport and see you at the range! Time to buy a new gun!!!

I notice that Douglas Ridge has USPSA...

I thought maybe Douglas Ridge did have USPSA, but wasn't sure off the top of my head. They don't seem to have a waiting list for membership either. BTW, there's a whole forum here about competition shooting. Take a look.:)

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/uspsa-in-dundee.149600/

And look here:

http://www.columbia-cascade.org

at least you won't freeze your nads off in Portland. They may grow mold, but they won't freeze off. Well - unless you go wandering up Hood and get lost. If you are liberal - you should have a great time cruising the Portland women scene. These ladies out here can swizzle some ale! And a lot of them stay fit walking and biking the hills.

I don't get it. Why do you have to be liberal? Guess I'm just not much of a talker between the sheets...

The closer you get to the center of Portland the more liberal people tend to be. When you get close enough to the epicenter they tend to wear their political beliefs on their sleeves. Popular places to pick up girls include the protest of the day (The Occupy protest a few years ago was about as close to an invite to a party at the Playboy Mansion as we would ever get here). Mentioning how Bush screwed things up so bad that even Obama couldn't fix it in 6 years is considered light conversation like talking about the weather. You will get extra points for being a Vegan and riding a bike so you can act smug to those who sold out and drive a Nissan Leaf. So break out the tofu and have a blast - just make sure you keep that GOP tattoo covered up until you sneak out of her place at 3 AM.

Thanks for the tips! I'll write this down. Don't worry, my NRA tattoos are in discreet locations that any sports bra would easily cover up. I guess I'll have to pose as a transgender vegan yoga instructor.

But seriously, I find that most women -- of whatever political persuasion -- are usually okay with you owning guns if they are okay with you and feel safe around you. After they get acquainted with my .50 BMG, at some point they'll ask to see the .45 and the 9… Then they'll softly kiss me and ask me to be careful, you know, avoid shooting those mean assault bullets that make innards vaporize.

On the other hand, I did have a woman storm out once, but that was just once.

No bicycles -- I'm more of a motorcycle and leather jacket guy. Tofu is good fried with a dash of hot sauce.

Most of the downsides of Portland that have been mentioned cannot be avoided by commuting from the suburbs. You still have to go to and from the city for work and travel around the state anyway. Living within city limits at least you spend less time on the commute and might even save enough money on gas and car maintenance (not to mention your time) to balance the higher taxes in the city and county.

Portland has experienced a good bit of gentrification in the last decade or two. A lot of the folks you'd be worried about robbing, raping, or stabbing you have been priced out of their old neighborhoods. Many relocated to east Multnomah County and Gresham. Still, every neighborhood in PDX has its own vibe and it will take a little while to figure it out. I live up near St. Johns, and while we have plenty of hippies fighting the coal trains, there are also a lot of solid, normal people.

As for meeting new people, I find it is best not to talk generalities when it comes to politics. It is true that most of the younger crowd (as in much of the country) has been brainwashed into thinking that Republicans are categorically ignorant and/or evil. But if you keep any contentious discussions to specifics, you can often find common ground or at least understanding on a singular issue and that helps. When folks eventually find out vote GOP (if you do) and carry a gun, they'll be less likely to banish you or call you crazy and they might even learn something about how reasonable the other side can be.

Enjoy the great beer. Also, there's a leather guy at the Saturday Market that makes very nice custom belts for carrying your 9mms and 45s. But I don't think he would help you with your .50BMG.

Oregon is great....for working. But I would never live there. Clackamas Cty has a good sheriff. You can find some great unincorporated places in Oregon City, Damascus or Boring 30 minutes to downtown Portland.

Oregon is great....for working. But I would never live there. Clackamas Cty has a good sheriff. You can find some great unincorporated places in Oregon City, Damascus or Boring 30 minutes to downtown Portland.

I suggest Boring Oregon City. Now that all the hipsters left us for Portland we all hang out in rocking chairs watching Jeopardy and complain about them young folk and their crazy dancing. Anybody seen my sweater?
9e585680d0217b9eff48a80435b98645.jpg

Last Edited:
Nope don't move to multco county!

Lots of places just outside of town to live!!

As far as moving your guns, unload and pack them in your vehicle and drive..

Once you get here there will be a test, and if you fail, either you will be forced to live in multco county or go back where u came from!!:)

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top