JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I am a USPSA shooter from the Midwest, and I will be moving to Portland. I'm trying to find information about moving with guns, transporting guns, carrying, joining gun clubs/ranges, pursuing shooting sports, etc. My google-fu isn't that great, so I want to check with you. I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

-- What's the best way to transport my guns? Ship from FFL to FFL, or drive them myself across the country? (I have a small collection.)

-- Where can I learn about Portland and Oregon gun laws? (Something understandable for the laymen -- no law code, please.)

-- What is the process for getting a CC license?

-- I will be renting an apartment or house. Are there laws/regulations I need to watch out for?

-- What are some good clubs/ranges around Portland?

-- Where are the closest USPSA matches?

Thanks!
If you are a shooter, gun owner, conservative or sane, Portland is the last place in Oregon you want to live. Wacko environmentalist, drug user, street begger, or occupy Wallstreet; welcome home.

I would add the Gun Broker in Clackamas - prices and service have been great for me. And they have a nice selection of used firearms too.

It seems like the CHL will solve all "gun-related" issues for Portland residents. Also, am I right to think that even if someone didn't have a CHL, he could still transport firearms in Portland as long as they are unloaded?

I read the ordinance about the course requirement for CHL. It seems like I should have plenty. I just have to dig up the certificates.

The homeless, wacko enviros, Occupiers, pot-smokers, etc. don't scare me. I am interested in the tax issue, though. How can I get a sense of how much I'd pay for taxes living in Portland vs. living in a nearby county?

Maybe I should live in Vancouver to save on the income tax!

More questions:

What are some good training opportunities in the Portland area (say, within a three-hour drive)? I'd also be interested in self-defense law/gun law classes.

Thanks to everyone who's responded!

Agreed, you won't save much on taxes living in Washington while working in Oregon. You would save more if you worked and lived in Washington. In addition, you'd need to have both an Oregon CHL and Washington CPL to have your bases covered if you're moving back and forth - I happen to have both myself.

As for taxes - remember - no sales tax in Oregon. You might pay a little less in income tax in Washington, but you'll pay almost 9% sales tax. I've got family in Vancouver who left Oregon to 'save' money - it hasn't really played out for them. Add to that that Washington is a bit more restrictive, even with a CPL, on guns - such as not being able to carry in a bar, etc. I would still prefer to live in Oregon, just not in Multnomah county.

Oh, and one more thing - don't try to pump your own gas in Oregon - it's illegal :rolleyes:

http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/
I like this little tool. There are several similar sites that figure out the basics and compare them.
Portland votes constantly to increase property taxes so they can support the homeless and million dollar water bureau offices, and lay off Police department and build electric trains, and throw a couple mill at a invisible bridge to Vancouver, and ...........

Amazon shows three different publication years for Starrett's Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws, with prices ranging from $5 (used) to $50 (new). Does that mean they have different editions? But the Oregon Firearms Federation lists the book at $17, and presumably that's the latest edition, if there are different editions. I'm confused!

Amazon shows three different publication years for Starrett's Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws, with prices ranging from $5 (used) to $50 (new). Does that mean they have different editions? But the Oregon Firearms Federation lists the book at $17, and presumably that's the latest edition, if there are different editions. I'm confused!

Buy from OFF, you'll be guaranteed to get the latest edition.

Welcome to Oregon! People have already mentioned the best places to buy firearms (at least the ones on my list). Don't worry about living in Portland proper - some of the replies have blown the negatives a bit out of proportion. In my experience for every 20-30 complete whack jobs I've run across there has been at least one normal person who wandered in accidentally. All kidding aside I have one very good friend who lives right in the heart of the monster and has a seriously large collection of Class 3 firearms and silencers.

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (http://douglasridge.org/) has been mentioned a couple of times. I just joined and I think its a great facility. It's on the fringe of the area, but no more than 20-30 minutes if you are on the east side. They are taking members and have ranges out to 1,000 yards. Tri County is also an excellent facility, but like everything nearby it has a loooooooong waiting list and tends to be very busy.

Based on where your job is located an east side location may also make sense as the sun is at your back both ways on your commute.

Like others have said, my recommendation is to bring your firearms with you and not trust them to shipping. You probably wouldn't have any issues, but nobody will handle and care for them the way you will.

The Gun Room........:s0093:

Haha, no kidding. OP, here is what you need to do; go into the gun room and ask the old guy if he has any glocks, or H&K guns. Say that your reason for buying them is the scientific evidence that proves they are the best guns. Trust me on this, you will be in for a treat!

Glocks? Did you notice the 1911 in my username? Seriously, I think you're setting me up to get tossed out of the Gun Room, if such a store exists!

The Gun Room exists, and I was once a repeat customer. The owner has pretty strong opinions about certain types of firearms and can get pretty upset if you inquire about them. On my last visit in the late 80's I was looking for a mini-14, and let's just say I haven't been back.

Gun Room aside, there are a lot of great gun stores in the area, and plenty of local flavor to enjoy. The area is known for an abundance of micro-brews, outstanding local wine, great restaurants, a thriving food cart industry, outstanding parks, and really more things than I can list.

The best thing about the area, to me, is that you are within 2 hours of almost environment you want from high desert to ocean beaches and everything in between.

Some things to check out:
Powell's Books (http://www.powells.com/) - the largest bookstore west of the Mississippi, takes up an entire city block in downtown Portland. They have so many books on hand that the technical books were moved to another building and is as large as a small Barnes & Noble.

Food Carts - the food cart business in Portland is frankly amazing due to the number of carts, variety of offerings, and quality. There are several areas where they have congregated in "pods" where you can pick from several different carts. Some have done so well that they have transitioned to brick and mortar businesses. Here is a handy guide: http://www.foodcartsportland.com/

Local Chains - McMennamins (http://www.mcmenamins.com/) has several microbrews that serve some pretty decent burgers and other food. Many of their locations are converted from other buildings like elementary schools (one of the bars is called detention) or an obsolete "poor farm".

Burgerville is a great alternative to other fast food places and features some very high quality offerings. You get what you pay for, though, there is no dollar menu...

Reo's Ribs (http://reosribsbbq.com//) uses so much smoke they got kicked out of a trendy west side location before relocating to SE Powell. Reo is also Snoop Dog's cousin, but we don't hold that against him.

Coffee - Portland was well versed in all things espresso long before Starbuck's was a gleam in Kenny G's eye. While Starbucks has pretty much microsquashed most of the independents there are still some great options. Here is a list to get you started: http://pdx.eater.com/archives/2012/09/05/portlands-20-best-coffeehouses-and-roasters.php

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top