JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait...
What if...
I get et by a Covid-19 infected mountain lion that was stung by a Asian Killer Hornet...
While yellowstone park erupted and...
A huge tidal wave struck as the giant meteor hit right where I was standing ...before I got et....:eek: :D
Andy

Wait...
What if...
I get et by a Covid-19 infected mountain lion that was stung by a Asian Killer Hornet...
While yellowstone park erupted and...
A huge tidal wave struck as the giant meteor hit right where I was standing ...before I got et....:eek: :D
Andy
You would be listed as a Coronavirus victim.

I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
A shovel and some pea seed.
When you notice cougar following you, quickly did a hole in the path and surround it with a ring of peas. When cougar bends down to take a pea, kick him in the hole.

Last Edited:
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
A shovel and some pea seed.
When you notice cougar following you, quickly dig a hole in the path and surround it with a ring of peas. When cougar bends down to take a pea, kick him in the hole.

Last Edited:
Watch your back trail. This is essential when off trail, and will help you find your way back. In addition, cougars may follow humans for a while before deciding on what to do. Running or bending over or falling down may trigger an attack.

When in the woods, look up regularly, not just around in two dimensions. This can help you not get killed by a "widow-maker", a dead branch that falls on you. Cougars like to crouch on a branch overhanging a path and wait for prey to pass underneath. Or try to.

When in the woods, look up regularly, not just around in two dimensions. This can help you not get killed by a "widow-maker", a dead branch that falls on you. Cougars like to crouch on a branch overhanging a path and wait for prey to pass underneath. Or try to.

And rocks, they like to be above, soooo bluffs etc are where they lay in ambush too.

As some members have pointed out the scariest thing I've seen in the woods walked on two legs.
Yep - OR running on four legs toward you, growling and snarling while they completely ignore their owners.

Twice in my life I have witnessed near shootings of vicious dogs while out in the woods until their owners got control of them - one was a draw down by me.

On 2 legs!!!

Don't ferget Big Foot.....

Wallowa Mtns 1964.....
Upper Walla Walla River 1967 +/-

And, and, and,,,,,,
Vietnam, as witnessed by us soldiers. Excellent short (and objective) video on it:
Do not believe the Walla Walla location ones. I have personally seen an entire huge garage full of fake Sasquatch stuff in that area were they were reported. It had/still has? 50-100 footprint castings, a complete and realistic 9 foot fake Sasquatch and tons more. That's just the stuff I saw. The entire garage was full and this was right at the base of where "studies" were done on it. No idea what the owner's motivation was. It's been years now and I don't know if he still lives there or not.

Last Edited:
Vietnam, as witnessed by us soldiers. Excellent short (and objective) video on it:
Do not believe the Walla Walla location ones. I have personally seen an entire huge garage full of fake Sasquatch stuff in that area were they were reported. It had/still has? 50-100 foot print castings, a complete and realistic 9 foot fake Sasquatch and tons more. That's just the stuff I saw. The entire garage was full and this was right at the base of where "studies" were done on it. No idea what the owner's motivation was. It's been years now and I don't know if he still lives there or not.
I will forward this to my old hunting buddy who has a connection to the event in the 60s..

The Rock Apes were a FOR REAL DEAL...
Clever too....
Kind of a " GET OFF MY LAWN" Thingy...;)

Back in the day there was way too much "Unknown" in that Unhappy Land....

This is s great thread....
I learned how to fly Hang Gliders in a wheat field outside of Walla Walla...

I 1st learned how to fly leaving a Pea Combine flipping over on it's side east of Dayton, Wa...

Got to perfect that when a BIG CAT Screeched from behind me while hunting Grouse in the foothills of the Blue Mtns...

Seems like I covered a football field in 1 leap & a bound....

Or maybe it was a Sasquatch....:D

Real Bigfoot sightings....

...Bluff Creek, Ca. 1967
...Blue Mtns., Wa. 1994 (Paul Freeman)
...Provo Canyon, Co. 2012...TWICE!
...Mississippi 2013
...Toba Inlet, BC 1924 (Albert Ostman)

While mountain lions are powerful and have bigger teeth than we do, they arent especially heavily built. Any gun suitable for self defense against humans should be adequate for cougar defense too. .38, .357 mag, 41 mag, .44 special, .45 lc, 44 mag, etc. Or for pistol folks, 9mm, .357 sig, 40, .45 acp, 10mm. And any ammo you carry for SD against people would be suitable. Where there are cougars there are likely to be black bears too, however. And for black bears you may want a somewhat heavier more penetrating rather than expanding round. The problem with this focus on cougars is it gives you no reason to buy another gun.

What do you covet? A nice high capacity pistol? If so, consider packs of feral dogs, coyotes, or wolves, not largely solitary cougars. A nice 44 mag loaded with soft recoiling but deadly .44 sp 260 grain flat nose hardcast? Its lots more comfortable surprising a bear carrying a six-inch .44 than a .357. And what about corvid-induced goby gobies? I've decided I would feel safer from corvid-induced goby-gobies if I had an additional .44, one smaller and easier to carry than those I have. And if its a .22 or an air rifle you want, well, with the murder hornets invading, what are you waiting for?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top