Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Low Price Guns
Sporting Systems
J&B Firearm Sales
Southwest Firearms Forum
Gun Deals
Defensive Arts
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Mountain Lion Defensive Pistol

DeanMk

Reactions
I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
1577693711759.png

...yeah, that should do it ( ;):s0140: )

...ok, seriously...something with decent stopping power is about the best answer I can give.
Might be .38 special, might be .44 mag, might be .22 rimfire. As long as it can get the job done and not be too much of a nuisance when not in use, that should do the trick.
I'd be more worried about bullet performance and accuracy than how much "power" the thing makes. It might make a million ft./lbs. ME, but if you can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, its no good to you.
Lately, I'm into replicating "factory" velocity with a heavier bullet of a better shape.....like a 300gr. wide flat nose wadcutter in a .44 special.
You can drive tacks with that round at 50 paces, while handing out quite a bit of destruction at the same time.

Dean

Last edited:
Reactions: 308
OP
Certaindeaf
Reactions
  • Woke Up Like This
View attachment 645469

...yeah, that should do it ( ;):s0140: )

...ok, seriously...something with decent stopping power is about the best answer I can give.
Might be .38 special, might be .44 mag, might be .22 rimfire. As long as it can get the job done and not be too much of a nuisance when not in use, that should do the trick.
I'd be more worried about bullet performance and accuracy than how much "power" the thing makes. It might make a million ft./lbs. ME, but if you can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, its no good to you.
Lately, I'm into replicating "factory" velocity with a heavier bullet of a better shape.....like a 300gr. wide flat nose wadcutter in a .44 special.
You can drive tacks with that round at 50 paces, while handing out quite a bit of destruction at the same time.

Dean
Yea, when I was a kid I hotrodded a charter .44 with some Lee 320gr SWC's.. carried that thing everywhere.

Reactions
I have decided my woods rig will be a G23 with hot .40 S&W Gold dots and hot hard cast alternating. It might not be a 10 mm, .357, or .44, but should be adequate for nearly everything.

Reactions
I have decided my woods rig will be a G23 with hot .40 S&W Gold dots and hot hard cast alternating. It might not be a 10 mm, .357, or .44, but should be adequate for nearly everything.
Should do quit well. What grain bullets were you intending to use? I was looking at BB the other day and saw that their 155 or 165 gave the greatest foot pounds of energy. I do not think stopping cats is a big deal if they are squarely hit. I'd think the same with wolves. I came across one late last spring which was a supersized German Sheppard and I'd think, again, if squarely hit they would go down.
Unfortunately, most of my woods fears have to do with two footed creeps that I might encounter way back at the end of a dead end wilderness road.

Reactions
My woods gun is a Glock 20 loaded up with hot loads, all nestled in a Kenei chest holster. It will get the job done with plenty of extra rounds should I miss a couple of pulls.

DeanMk

Reactions
Friend was issued a Glock 22 when he was an FSO.
We took it out and shot it.
I thought it wasn't a half bad shooter. Recoil was more mild than I expected.
Still not a Glock fan, but it wasn't a totally terrible experience.

Dean

Reactions
I’m going with Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8” 45 Colt with Buffalo Bore heavy outdoorsman in a Guides Choice chest holster. Should take care of anything in the lower 48 and won’t get too much attention from the man-buns along the trail or fly fishing on the Gallatin.

Reactions
I’m going with Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8” 45 Colt with Buffalo Bore heavy outdoorsman in a Guides Choice chest holster. Should take care of anything in the lower 48 and won’t get too much attention from the man-buns along the trail or fly fishing on the Gallatin.
Should work nicely. I would suspect that you would either get an eye or grimace from the "sissy's" that own the trail. If they come from Cali or NY you might get their mouth as well.

Reactions
I like the 165 and 180’s. My hardcast loads are designed for penetration, while the HP’s are for energy transfer. I prefer a chest rig to a side arm while walking in the woods, especially with a pack. I find the G23 to be powerful enough and light enough as a compromise. I also have a Keltec Sub2K that uses the same ammo and magazines.

I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?
Skip the pistol and just hum this diddy whilst out hiking.....,

Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he’s clean
Oh can’t you see what I mean

:s0155:

Last edited:

HighlandLofts

Reactions
Meth tweekers cooking thier garbage out in the mountains is what i,d be more concerned about. I use to carry my357 Ruger GP100. I personally k ow three people who ran into tweekers and thought that was going to be their last day on earth.
Since then I bought and started carrying a 10mm Glock 20. Fifteen rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber and two extra mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Shoulder holster and a S&W 642 in my right front pants pocket.

Reactions
Meth tweekers cooking thier garbage out in the mountains is what i,d be more concerned about. I use to carry my357 Ruger GP100. I personally k ow three people who ran into tweekers and thought that was going to be their last day on earth.
Since then I bought and started carrying a 10mm Glock 20. Fifteen rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber and two extra mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Shoulder holster and a S&W 642 in my right front pants pocket.
Where did they run into tweekers?

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wolf Creek Rd Public Shooting Lanes Cleanup!
North Fork Wolf Creek Rd public shooting lanes
N Fork Wolf Creek Rd, Oregon 97144, USA
ARPC Speed Steel
ARPC (Albany Rifle & Pistol Club)
29999 Saddle Butte Rd, Shedd, OR 97377, USA
NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Bill Blowers - Tap-Rack Tactical Tac - Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks
  • Centerfire Gunworks
    1.00 star(s)
    This shop is an extortion racket. It’s the only one in town and charges like a monopoly. He can’t fulfill commitments and he won’t provide estimates.
    • Emm
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I'd be a lot happier if they were closer to the Couve but they are definitely worth the drive Friendly staff and very competitive prices on ammo...
    • GWS
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    Tricounty Gun Club is an excellent place to practice, train, and compete with multiple shooting disciplines. Members have card key access to...
    • Whisky Tahoe

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS