JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
POR-15 has some gas tank repair products.

If you know someone with a small cement mixer you can shove some thick foam rubber in the drum and then wedge the tank inside that. Put 3-4 hands fulls of old nuts and bolts or even roofing nails in the tank and let it spin for a couple hours this will remove all the rust. The tank will need coating ASAP no sorry I should have said RIGHT AWAY. You can also use White vinegar to cut any rust But again you have to coat and seal immediately.

There's a guy in Florida that would charge $600.00 to fix and line. That's to much. He says his coating is lifetime guaranteed and all others fail in short order.

I would try the Battery Charger/Super Soda Wash method to remove all of the rust from inside the tank.
It won't hurt the outside paint job and then I would take it to a radiator shop and see if they could save the tank as they have the knowledge and materials to rescue it.

I have tried to repair a few tanks and it always seems risky at best. A lot depends on what condition the steel is really in. Often when you get to the point there are pin holes the steel around that area is so shot that the whole section has to be chopped out and replaced. $600 seems like a lot but really if that includes redoing the paint its not unreasonable at all,

I know you want to keep it original but really if you can find a replacement tank that's what I would do. Put the original on a shelf and keep it as a second keepsake?

eBay has one like new for only $300.00

s-l225.jpg

I'm going to visit a place called Cycle Heap later on this week.
They've got a ton of old bike parts and I happen to know a guy who works there.
I'm looking for some rear view mirrors for a 68 Honda Trail 90 I just traded into.
I'll ask him if they have one laying around.

Having had some vintage bikes I'd recommend being very careful, if its got pin holes you have no idea how thin the rest is. Sure, there might be enough material to weld a new bottom or patch on but remember..... the gas tank is right over a hot "air cooled" motor.
I did the clean out and restore on a 20 gallon 4x4 truck tank, etchant, chains,sealer, etc....some of the kits do work. If you plan the friction with bolts rattling around method posted above...DOn't, use a chain which is not as likely to add holes, dents. Best advice is buying a matching replacement as above. original tin for motorcycles is nice, but the frame and engine are the key parts.

Brutus Out

I'm looking for some rear view mirrors for a 68 Honda Trail 90 I just traded into.
Thanks!

I've got original Honda spec books for that ifin you need specs. Those CT 90s were way popular for deer hunting in Utah when I wrenched in the Honda shops. First bike was a '68-'69, can't remember for sure now. Isn't that the first year of "Quick change" high/low? Still needed a wrench though, 12mm IIRC.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top