JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never buy a fish bigger than a turd.

Lol

Nothing smaller than a 55 IMO. It reduces all of the things mentioned above. Live plants. A plecostamus is great way to lower cleaning tasks.
It's been 19 years or so since I had a tank. My last one was a piranha tank. All of my fish grew to be a healthy pan sized fish. Healthy and large enough that I sold them when it was time to get rid of the tank.

My dad was incredibly successful with angel and sword fish when I was a kid.

If I ever get another tank it'll be a cichlid tank.
I'd love to have a plecostamus cleaning up for me haha. Ok so 55 gallon tank and probably a cannister filter rated for 200?

I'd love to have a plecostamus cleaning up for me haha. Ok so 55 gallon tank and probably a cannister filter rated for 200?
200-250gph minimum. This is a good read.

Yes whatever tank you buy, pick a filter that is rated for at least twice the size. If the filter claims it will take care of a 150G tank, should be great for a 55. Where people get in trouble is some store sells them a "set up" all ready to go. Often the filter will be rated for what the tank is. These will "work" but, it will often mean a LOT of cleaning them. We also used filters that had media we could clean and re-use. Rather than disposable. Ours even had a way to use a reusable bag for carbon. So we could buy it in bulk and fill the bag. The ones with cartridges made to be used and tossed can get pricey.

Also what are you guys feeding your fish? I started digging into what to feed them and it led me down a whole nother rabbit hole
We too did not use flakes as often it just ended up in the filter. Pelleted for whatever kind of fish you decide to keep. Just go slow. Another problem is people over feeding. Then food rots. Little at a time as the fish eat it. We always had the aggressive tropical and it was easy to see when they wanted more and when they were done.

I can't help with anything in the way of aquariums, or tropical fish. :confused: I lust have to say it's way cool a guy comes to a firearms forum to ask for info on all that though! :s0112: And GETS A BUNCH of help!
Just goes to show you how normal gun enthusiasts really are!

They are cool buy die real easy, so you have to be real careful about over feeding because it settle at the bottom and rots, especially the flake stuff.
Might be a little over my expertise for now. I'm really hoping to have some Guppies and angelfish and some other relatively colorful and relatively easy fish to take care of. And plants!

Might be a little over my expertise for now. I'm really hoping to have some Guppies and angelfish and some other relatively colorful and relatively easy fish to take care of. And plants!

Check out sword fish. They're pretty cool IMO. They have an intriguing shape and some neat colors. I recall them being pretty low maintenance.
Neon tetras are super cool. IIRC, the family of fish that the belong too is pretty extensive and diverse with some super cool colors.

That is one reason I like Neon Tetra schools

1672187707275.jpeg

I didn't read through all of the comments but, check out "THE WET SPOT" in Portland. It's the only reason I go to Portland. More fish, shrimp and plants then anywhere. Staff is super knowledgeable. They are usually busy but be patient and they will answer all your questions. Fair warning though, like Portland it's pretty liberal.

I didn't read through all of the comments but, check out "THE WET SPOT" in Portland. It's the only reason I go to Portland. More fish, shrimp and plants then anywhere. Staff is super knowledgeable. They are usually busy but be patient and they will answer all your questions. Fair warning though, like Portland it's pretty liberal.
Thanks for the advice I saw them on Google and have been considering going there and piecing something together based on all your guys advice. This has been a very helpful thread

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top