JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am in a rather odd spot. I just bought a Charter Arms 1st Generation .44 Special. I didn't look at it until we got to the FFL to complete the transaction. It isn't a .44 Bulldog, but rather a "pup." It has the aluminum barrel shroud, but the barrel is 2.5 ", not 3". The hammer is factory "bobbed" with stippling across the very small thumb portion. The front sight has red paint slopped across it and there is some holster wear on the bluing (nothing to write home about.) It also came with after market rubber (hoge?) grips. All things considered, it looks to be a nice concealed carry revolver. The seller stated that he bought it from a Portland PD cop. At any rate, I'm going to sell it when my background check comes back (about 2 weeks here in Washington.) Under different circumstances I wouldn't have completed the transaction, but I said that I would buy it and I am a man of my word. I have stated in different threads that I have the small, soft hands of a vibrator salesman and this size frame fits my pudgy paws quite well. However, it's chambered for the .44 special and in the lightweight frame it will prove to have a powerful recoil. Definitely not a range gun. The cylinder lockup is both quick and tight. I'll offer it for sale in the classifieds for a couple of days before I leave for Arizona and if I don't sell it here, it'll sell there. I don't know what I was thinking.

I used to own the same revolver. It had significant recoil, but not as much as a SP101 snubby in .357 and nothing compared to my 329 PD. That said, that Grendel P10 was worse yet.

I am in a rather odd spot. I just bought a Charter Arms 1st Generation .44 Special. I didn't look at it until we got to the FFL to complete the transaction. It isn't a .44 Bulldog, but rather a "pup." It has the aluminum barrel shroud, but the barrel is 2.5 ", not 3". The hammer is factory "bobbed" with stippling across the very small thumb portion. The front sight has red paint slopped across it and there is some holster wear on the bluing (nothing to write home about.) It also came with after market rubber (hoge?) grips. All things considered, it looks to be a nice concealed carry revolver. The seller stated that he bought it from a Portland PD cop. At any rate, I'm going to sell it when my background check comes back (about 2 weeks here in Washington.) Under different circumstances I wouldn't have completed the transaction, but I said that I would buy it and I am a man of my word. I have stated in different threads that I have the small, soft hands of a vibrator salesman and this size frame fits my pudgy paws quite well. However, it's chambered for the .44 special and in the lightweight frame it will prove to have a powerful recoil. Definitely not a range gun. The cylinder lockup is both quick and tight. I'll offer it for sale in the classifieds for a couple of days before I leave for Arizona and if I don't sell it here, it'll sell there. I don't know what I was thinking.

hey Gunny you have a link to the add you got that from? you have piqued my interest.

S&W M&P 340 .357...how bad can it be, says I to myself? After all, I've enjoyed many thousands of full-power 44 mag rounds through various S&W 44s, including my infamous 329PD "wrist breaker," over the years.

How bad? Exactly three .357 "low recoil" rounds, and five .38 +P, and five more .38 special FMJ...then off to the consignment pile while I still could hold a spoon o_O

S&W M&P 340 .357...how bad can it be, says I to myself? After all, I've enjoyed many thousands of full-power 44 mag rounds through various S&W 44s, including my infamous 329PD "wrist breaker," over the years.

How bad? Exactly three .357 "low recoil" rounds, and five .38 +P, and five more .38 special FMJ...then off to the consignment pile while I still could hold a spoon o_O
How wonderful that you can still hold a spoon! I have to grip my food tools like a caveman.

At less than 14 ounces, I can imagine. That is half the weight of the 329PD.

I was cured of snubbies by the CA .44 and the SP101 .357 - I just don't think they are worth the recoil and noise/flash - prefer something with at least a 3" preferably 4" barrel in revolvers.

I just don't think they are worth the recoil and noise/flash -
Not with .357 but with .38 Spcl they can be fun.

I shoot my 2" Mod 60 S&W often but I am limited to .38 Spcl with it - but even if I had something like an SP101 or later Mod 60 in .357 Id still just keep it to .38s.

Actually I am looking for an SP101 in 4" with adjustable sights but it may be a while till I find one! I passed on one a couple years ago and wish I hadn't !

Last Edited:
Actually I am looking for an SP101 in 4" with adjustable sights but it may be a while till I find one! I passed on one a couple years ago and wish I hadn't !
Like this? Ruger SP101 .357 mag 4.2" Stainless NIB 5771 - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 880357207
Ruger SP101 Match Champion Revolver 357 Magnum Excellent - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 879287947
Ruger Sp101 357 Mag 4" BBL w/ Box 2 Grips NICE - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 880985953

I know the Rugers are really strong framed, would love to shoot one of their 8-shooters.

Mini-Uzis.... very traumatizing.

C8429B2D-B70B-47F3-B179-2F9FD2BAA950.gif

At less than 14 ounces, I can imagine. That is half the weight of the 329PD.

I was cured of snubbies by the CA .44 and the SP101 .357 - I just don't think they are worth the recoil and noise/flash - prefer something with at least a 3" preferably 4" barrel in revolvers.
I had a stainless 2" 357 J-frame (649) several years ago and remembered it hit my hand pretty hard when I lit it off. I've carried and shot my wife's 38 Special Airweight and even with my stout 158gr SWC handloads I can shoot it til I run out of ammo.
Even the 38 Special can use just a bit more barrel and I ended up with a stainless J-frame 357 3" that has adjustable sights, too.(60-15) Yeah, it barks a bit with 357 loads, but my biggest concern isn't my hand, it's how many rounds can this little bugger take?

Own one, of the 8 shooters & have been known to pocket carry it. I enjoy that diminutive yet overbuilt monstrosity.

Well, been thinking this topic over quite a bit and I must say that it is my 1950 Remington 870 12ga. With the original long barrel I have bagged lots of various waterfowl and assorted dove/quail/pheasants. This also includes one feral rooster who was causing problems with my penned up and domesticated chickens. Several years ago [wrote about it on our forum] I decided to give the old girl a new lease on life as a home defense resource. Took it all apart, cleaned it up, and swapped out the long barrel for a barely legal short one. Had some snappy 12ga 00buck rounds and went out into the country. Pulled the trigger the first time on the new set up and it was holy *!&*#&Y##*(!!! My reasonably docile shotty had become a recoil beotch! Because I'm one of those guys, I fired two more just to check the results of the first shot. Nope, it was an angry mule against my shoulder. Asked the wife if she wanted to try it out --- absolutely NOT as she had already retreated back into the truck. :s0114: Windows rolled up and doors locked! That was funny right there. Eventually found some LE low recoil shells and they shoot in a more civilized manner. The shotty has a new life now with the low recoil rounds as a first responder for things that go bump in the night. Also sporting a nice under barrel flashlight. I suppose it was my own retro fit that made it the most uncomfortable gun I ever shot. Thanks for reading. Pops

Kel-Tec KSG.

Ergonomics aren't great without some sort of vfg. Buckshot or slug HURTS. Only time it was comfortable was with mini shells. But on mine I couldn't rack the pump super hard or the mini shell would bounce around in the space before the chamber and get hung up about 20% of the time.

Remembering the first time I fired a Mossberg 500 pump 12 gauge, with a pistol grip ( no buttstock). O.O buck, express load... I thought I'd be Joe Cool and shoot it from the hip. Pro tip; if you do that, hold it out AWAY from your hip! I had a 6-7" bruise for a week. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top