JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My brother's pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in .375 H&H. Off hand was something, prone was mistaken for fun. We were targeting prairie dogs in Western Nebraska. Who knows if we hit anything?

Done in the early 70s when I was younger and ammunition was available.

I'm kind of a recoil wussy, compared to a lot of you guys here. Ruger SP101 2" barrel. Early on in our gun fascination a buddy brought his SP101 to the range and we shot it with .38 special. Wifey loved it and had to have one. The buddy had 5 rounds of full power .357mag and loaded it up and handed it to me. Geezus. I shot two and handed it back to him. Wifey wasn't going to shoot it! The buddy let the other three go. This guy had big hands. Normal sized guy, but good sized hands. He peppered the hell out of the top of his index finger from the gas escaping from the cylinder gap. Pretty much stayed with him for the rest of his life.

I though the 03-A3 with Garand loads was terrible. I learned that a person can have an uncontrollable flinch. Traded up for a Garand. This is why I cringe when reading of people shooting these magnum calibers for fun or hunting. Funny thing though, I shot a members S&W .500 mag with 300gr bullets and it wasn't so bad. wouldn't get one myself because I wouldn't be able to support it out in front of me for very long!

Wife's niece visited us from NYC. She has experience with a Glock 17 because of her job, but not much of anything else. So we broadened her knowledge. Then I gave her a S&W Titanium 342 to shoot. Load was a mild .38 reload we use for practice. Wife calls it the Gun From Hell

Some 'expert' revolver shooter, him, eh?
Hmmph. I had to get the SP101 out a see just how that happened....I can't see how you could do that, and still pull the trigger. Maybe it was his left thumb because he was putting it out forward? Dude knew his way around firearms. He wasn't a noob to guns. We went to the club a few times and he was shooting some older S&W semi auto in .45acp and doing quite well. In any case, shooting full power .357 in an SP101 isn't something to do for pleasure. Well, unless you're one them that digs recoil.

Made the mistake of shooting one of my home rolled 405 gr rounds from a Henry 45-70 on bags. Don't do that. Felt like a horse kicked me and the bruise was sore almost two weeks later.

Made the mistake of shooting one of my home rolled 405 gr rounds from a Henry 45-70 on bags. Don't do that. Felt like a horse kicked me and the bruise was sore almost two weeks later.
How was your shoulder/body positioned. I learned my lesson shooting magnum cartidges from the prone position.

I know what you're talking about. Original style 45-70-405 loads from the offhand position isn't a big deal. Get snugged up behind a hot 45-70 on the bench and be prepared for the Hammer of Thor!
I loved seeing what I could create on the loading bench for that cartridge once I got a very strong action. I had a lot of fun shooting it, but none of my friends enjoyed it like I did. Wusses... :D Could the crescent butt plate have had anything to do with that?

An older gun, think it was a Stevens 12 ga, single shot, had a metal butt pad. Was a nice light gun.
I don't recall how much (or if) I had shot prior to this, but mine and another family were out on a logging landing shooting clays. I was the ripe old age of 10 or 11, maybe 90 lbs.. after a while of dads and moms shooting, I asked if I could try. So of course, they said yes. My dad gave me the talk, loaded the gun and handed it to me. I remember the effect of pulling the trigger well. I suppose it is much like a WBY.460 on an adult human.. sledge hammer to the shoulder and cheek.. yes, I cried.. not sure if it was anger or embarrassment or pain, or all of them. Come to find out.. Dad, being a dad true to era, had slipped a high-base shell in as my welcome to shooting gift. Thanks dad. Here I thought my mom was super tough too.🤷‍♂️
Needless to say, LOVE to shoot any time I can now.

Come to find out.. Dad, being a dad true to era, had slipped a high-base shell in as my welcome to shooting gift. Thanks dad.
Gotta love dads... :s0140:

Now, be honest... You would think less of him if he hadn't done that...

Hi-point carbine. It was so awkward and crude that I had serious issues just loading the damn thing. If given the choice between it and a reichsrevolver during a shtf I'd take the revolver.

Last Edited:
Mossberg 590 with slugs
S&W Airweight .38 Special
Dad slipping a .357 Magnum round in the chamber when I thought he had loaded .38 special. My ears are still screwed decades later.

I know what you're talking about. Original style 45-70-405 loads from the offhand position isn't a big deal. Get snugged up behind a hot 45-70 on the bench and be prepared for the Hammer of Thor!
I loved seeing what I could create on the loading bench for that cartridge once I got a very strong action. I had a lot of fun shooting it, but none of my friends enjoyed it like I did. Wusses... :D Could the crescent butt plate have had anything to do with that?
It was the all weather model with the squishy butt pad. I squared up nice behind it but didn't realize how much of the shock was absorbed by my body and movement when shooting off-hand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top