JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad had a buddy who spent some good money (at the time) on a .454 Casull. I believe it was a Freedom Arms Model 83, don't remember exactly this was back in the late 90's. I took three shots... one to try, one to confirm and one to know; yup I hated it. Nothing pleasant about that revolver. Except for the "HOLY COW!" factor and maybe some shooting bench bragging rights it was a miserable experience.

Last Edited:
Army rangers brought back hundreds of full-auto AK-47s from Grenada in 1983. They had to turn them in shortly after, when word got out about what they had done. I got to shoot one (legitimately) a few months later. I chose to fire a 20 round magazine on semi, at a 100 yard torso target, using aimed, slow fire.
I held an expert rating for most of 30 years. When I was done, I had about 6 or 7 random hits, very disappointing. What was worse, much worse, was that my trigger finger was numb, so numb, it was kind of scary, like it wasn't part of my hand. It took a few minutes before it returned to normal. I have never wanted one of those guns since, although I had a couple of SKSs years later. That must have been the "trigger slap"referred to above this.

I have a "stevens 110" (savage 110) in 7mm rem mag with a lightweight pencil barrel...no break. It is extremely comfortable and very accurate but make no mistake, I PAY for every round fired lol Damn thing made me decide i need to have my mouth shut completely and a light pressure clinch, almost like i was going to grind my teeth. God I hate shooting that damn rifle.

Remington 740 in 30-06 and a Weatherby Fibermark in 340 Weatherby. Flinch, flinch, flinch!

And just last week, a Davis 38 Special derringer. Good thing I didn't expect too much. 40 pound trigger pull! It was a nostalgia buy.

Last Edited:
.765 Sporterized German Mauser...Shot my first two Muley's with it at 13 and 14 years of age but I think I only fired a total of six rounds through it in two years...Two at deer and two each year to sight it in....Never, ever looked forward to pulling that trigger...Kicked so hard that I Flinched badly even when I shot my Browning T bolt 22...My Dad did the conversion but I always wondered why he never wanted to shoot it....My Dad always was a smart man...One of the good reasons why the Germans lost two world wars.

Sig makes 10mm in the P220 but still never had an issue with Glock 23... I have found that people have a problem with 40 S&W for three main reasons... 1st they are not gripping the pistol correctly l.. 2nd they bought the pistol without making sure they based it on their hand size and 3RD they listened to a bunch of internet nonsense saying that it is a bad round! You know the S&W (short & whimpy) bs

Sig makes 10mm in the P220 but still never had an issue with Glock 23... I have found that people have a problem with 40 S&W for three main reasons... 1st they are not gripping the pistol correctly l.. 2nd they bought the pistol without making sure they based it on their hand size and 3RD they listened to a bunch of internet nonsense saying that it is a bad round! You know the S&W (short & whimpy) bs
Ive got the P226 in 40 and the Glock 23. Yeah I think thats funny. That underwood 135 grain 40 S&W in +P at 588 lb/ft is very well into 10mm range. Same ballistics as the CorBon 135 grain 10mm load. Puts a hurtin.

Ive got the P226 in 40 and the Glock 23. Yeah I think thats funny. That underwood 135 grain 40 S&W in +P at 588 lb/ft is very well into 10mm range. Same ballistics as the CorBon 135 grain 10mm load. Puts a hurtin.
Underwood ammunition is nice! I like them, Corbon and Federal HST... not opposed to other ones I just like these the most

The .40 can be loaded to almost 10mm velocities, it is after all just a shortened 10mm case.

But in the shorter case, to get those velocities you wind up with pressures higher than 10mm, so you have to be careful and you wind up with more battering and wear.

Personally I am just fine with standard .40 loads - the 180 gr. loads @ 1K fps are very close to the .45 ACP 185 gr loads at the same velocities, with less recoil.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top