Oregon Rifleworks
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Southwest Firearms Forum
Buster Beaver Cerakote

More IDPA match videos from Renton Fish and Game 9/20/08

OP
A
Reactions
Yeah, there was a last minute executive decision made that would not allow me to attend. "ahem" My kitchen pass was revoked last minute.

Reactions
Nice - I enjoyed watching people use their smaller guns (642, etc.) Not quite as fast shooting/reloading as a service-size pistol in a belt holster. Good reality check.

OP
A
Reactions
Nice - I enjoyed watching people use their smaller guns (642, etc.) Not quite as fast shooting/reloading as a service-size pistol in a belt holster. Good reality check.
You know what, that match certainly changed my perspective on CCW. Higher rate of failures, some timing issues with magazines. The bug guns certainly challenged even some of this state's best IDPA shooters. I think my new mantra towards CCW is "bring enough gun", not necessarily from the aspect of caliber, but the ability to properly manipulate and operate your sidearm. A good belt and holster goes a long way.
;)

Reactions
You know what, that match certainly changed my perspective on CCW. Higher rate of failures, some timing issues with magazines. The bug guns certainly challenged even some of this state's best IDPA shooters. I think my new mantra towards CCW is "bring enough gun", not necessarily from the aspect of caliber, but the ability to properly manipulate and operate your sidearm. A good belt and holster goes a long way.
;)
CCW is always a compromise for me - not many people know I carry (except my wife) and I want to keep it that way. Having something that can be stashed in my pocket is a big plus, despite the inherent deficiencies that come with that mode of carry. I just don't think I can belt carry - inevitably, you'll have to take off your coat or whatever covers your sidearm.

Reactions
What is the Buzz Lightyear doll for? Is he supposed to be an unarmed person you are protecting? Just some marker to bring around to make it harder? I've never been to an IDPA match before.

OP
A
Reactions
What is the Buzz Lightyear doll for? Is he supposed to be an unarmed person you are protecting? Just some marker to bring around to make it harder? I've never been to an IDPA match before.
All of the above.

It also forces to shoot strong hand only in a manner you may not typically practice.

OP
A
Reactions
Is the DW your regular carry gun?
Is that the standard front sight?
Although it would be my ideal carry gun because it's been very reliable, it is not my CCW piece. it's got a pretty light trigger and could be a legal liability should I need to defend myself in court. I know it could go either way, but it's easier for me to just use another gun for CCW. My CCW is a Colt Combat Elite 1911 Government, which is also my back up gun for my Dan Wesson. It's mostly stock, with a heavier stock trigger.

BTW, the front sight on my Dan Wesson is aftermarket I installed myself. It's a Dawson Precision Fiber Optic in red, .100.

coltCE01.jpg

coltce04.jpg

Sweet, I was wondering if you carried it daily. You actually carry the same class of gun.

I shot a Tactical Match (3 gun) which uses IDPA rules and loved it. It's refreshing to get out of the "Gaming" matched and actually be required to use cover, reload behind cover, required to neutralize targets, etc, instead of taking stabs at them and "moving on" to keep your time low.

I use an XDM in Speed Steel and IPSC, but I don't think it would be very comfortable to CCW.

I like the idea of competing with the type of gun you actually carry.

I may try stuffing the XDM in my jeans and see if it'll work.

OP
A
Reactions
Aristotle, you don't use that big mag release button on Saturdays do you? :s0131:
Nope, only on Sundays Rick. :) I had to swap "in" my big button this Sunday. That's just the template picture I have of my Dan Wesson with all the fun stuff.

I'm hoping to get a dedicated CDP gun so I don't have to do the swap every time. :s0155:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    This is the closest gun close to my house and they have always been super nice. I have bought two guns off them and sold one of mine to them.
    • storminnorm44
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to pick up some parts for an AR style 10/22 and to start my journey into building an AR by picking up a lower. Staff was super helpful and...
    • Hueco
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been a member for 6 years, been shooting there (as a guest) for three years before that. I found the Ladies League and was hooked. It's the...
    • PacwestDefense
  • Barkley's Buy-Sell-Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been patronizing this pawn shop for a few years now. Very happy with the deals I find, both firearm and other. Prices for transfers are...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Sharp Shooting Indoor Range & Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    So far I have bought 2 new Sig p938 pistols and a marlin golden 39A from sharp shooting.the staff is very helpfull, nice shooting range,lots of...
    • Xrperry

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS