JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think I've seen enough HP ads over the years to count on one hand? KelTec, yes. It might be I don't go where High Point advertises though.
I've seen their ads in several magazines including NRA sponsored ones. I agree that they don't heavily market like some others but when they do it's almost like a joke.

Why are some people so quick to defend a company like this? Subpar products marketed to people that think the sideways grip is most effective. I don't understand why anyone here would defend such an organization and their crappy products. Unless it's SOLEY based on the impact to their wallet.

I wonder how often @PlayboyPenguin comes around these days. Used to be here a lot.

I bought a used hipoint from Keith's years ago. Sold it some time later. If I lived in a state where FTF sales didn't require a BGC, I'd probably have some as stash pistols. But I have to spend 25-40 bucks more for transfer and BGC because Oregon, so I generally don't go cheapest available anymore.

If it's a gun I would trust my life to I would spend a little bit more and get something else. Maybe a used good quality gun. But to each their own. An example video of from a reviewer that is pretty objective (from what I can tell anyway) and not a fanboy of one particular brand or another cuz he has owned and shot a lot of them.

Last Edited:
I'd like people to stop pinching pennies and purchase firearms from manufacturers that actually give a damn about their customers and their potential customers. But folks can do whatever they want. For me it isn't about HP looks, it's about their lack of principles when marketing their products. To me, that's definitely worth going to the mat on.

If they can't even take themselves seriously ($100 bill and Yeet Cannon offerings) how the hell are gun enthusiasts supposed to? There's better options.
Do you own Russian or Chinese guns or ammo?

@GWS you made me really think about that. I do have one Vortex Diamondback that I'm pretty sure was made in China. That's the only thing I can think of.

@GWS you made me really think about that. I do have one Vortex Diamondback that I'm pretty sure was made in China. That's the only thing I can think of.

It's very hard to avoid stuff made in China
I divested myself of Russian stuff a while ago but we'd all probably be running around naked if we got rid of the Chinese stuff. It's difficult to find many basic items that are still made in America and they are more expensive. Still, one should make the effort

Anyway, I bought my HiPoints because I have never seen a gun with such a wildly differing range of opinions. They generate out and out animosity and deep and abiding love. So I decided to find out for myself. They worked. All of them. I bought only the 3 calibers because even I couldn't bring myself to buy a .380 version. That one just offended my sensibilities

In regard to their marketing, I for one was amused by the Yeet Cannon idea. They ran a contest to see who could come up with a name for a new gun and Yeet Cannon was the winner. I think they don't take themselves too seriously because they know what they are selling. A low end gun. It took me a while to find this hundred dollar bill HiPoint but upon seeing it it left me no doubt of what market segment they were targeting. SMH on that one. But for a gun that's marketed to gangster types, I note that HiPoints weren't particularly high on the list of crime/gangster gun confiscations with Glocks and Smith & Wessons leading the pack. Probably because no one wants to steal a HiPoint .
That said, I respect your opinion on their marketing. That was something I hadn't thought about when buying them. I think you are a bit stringent but that is your right too. I feel that way about buying guns and ammo from adversary nations.
Bottom line for me is that my experience with HiPoints in 9, 40 and 45 is they are OK. When I reflected on my purchases, I realized that all 3 guns combined cost less than a single Glock, even with the Blue Label discount. And they work. Having put a couple hundred rounds through each of them I have proven to my satisfaction that they are safe and reliable. The trigger is a little crunchy in the 40 but I still got good hits at 15 yards. (BTW The worst trigger I have ever encountered was on an SCCY 9mm.)
That said, they'll now go in the safe until a friend wants to try one or I can trade one for a grand piano in the apocalypse. I'll throw in a box of ammo if it's a Steinway;)

But... if SafeFire ever puts on another bowling pin match, I think I'll enter with the 45 HiPoint. If I win or lose or if it falls apart. I will give an honest report.

Be well!

eta I spell out HiPoint all the time because for me in gun parlance, HP is always and forever the Browning Hi-Power!:s0155:

Last Edited:
It's very hard to avoid stuff made in China
I divested myself of Russian stuff a while ago but we'd all probably be running around naked if we got rid of the Chinese stuff. It's difficult to find many basic items that are still made in America and they are more expensive. Still, one should make the effort

Anyway, I bought my HiPoints because I have never seen a gun with such a wildly differing range of opinions. They generate out and out animosity and deep and abiding love. So I decided to find out for myself. They worked. All of them. I bought only the 3 calibers because even I couldn't bring myself to buy a .380 version. That one just offended my sensibilities

In regard to their marketing, I for one was amused by the Yeet Cannon idea. They ran a contest to see who could come up with a name for a new gun and Yeet Cannon was the winner. I think they don't take themselves too seriously because they know what they are selling. A low end gun. It took me a while to find this hundred dollar bill HiPoint but upon seeing it it left me no doubt of what market segment they were targeting. SMH on that one. But for a gun that's marketed to gangster types, I note that HiPoints weren't particularly high on the list of crime/gangster gun confiscations with Glocks and Smith & Wessons leading the pack. Probably because no one wants to steal a HiPoint .
That said, I respect your opinion on their marketing. That was something I hadn't thought about when buying them. I think you are a bit stringent but that is your right too. I feel that way about buying guns and ammo from adversary nations.
Bottom line for me is that my experience with HiPoints in 9, 40 and 45 is they are OK. When I reflected on my purchases, I realized that all 3 guns combined cost less than a single Glock, even with the Blue Label discount. And they work. Having put a couple hundred rounds through each of them I have proven to my satisfaction that they are safe and reliable. The trigger is a little crunchy in the 40 but I still got good hits at 15 yards. (BTW The worst trigger I have ever encountered was on an SCCY 9mm.)
That said, they'll now go in the safe until a friend wants to try one or I can trade one for a grand piano in the apocalypse. I'll throw in a box of ammo if it's a Steinway;)

But... if SafeFire ever puts on another bowling pin match, I think I'll enter with the 45 HiPoint. If I win or lose or if it falls apart. I will give an honest report.

Be well!
Much respect to you for your well thought out post. :cool:

I think you are right, but High Point costs more to own. You have to consider that the owner of a high point will be eating a lot more food, considering they will be retching every time they take the gun to the range or happen to take a look at it. :p

"I think you are right, but High Point costs more to own. You have to consider that the owner of a high point will be eating a lot more food, considering they will be retching every time they take the gun to the range or happen to take a look at it."

This is an example of projection, i.e. projecting your own worldview on other people who may not share it. It's easy to do. This is a forum for people who like guns and know something about them. As knowledgeable enthusiasts, most of us think a HP is as fugly as a basket of smashed rectums and I wholly concur. What we may fail to recognize is that not everybody who suddenly wakes up and realizes that they need a pistol for SD/HD knows enough about guns to realize how totally hideous HPs are. As informed consumers we would generally prefer something else for budget SD/HD, most of which the newly enlightened don't even know exist.
In the post Civil War South the only sidearms legal for the peons were too expensive for Black People to afford. Voila! Gun control by economics. For somebody who needs a sidearm but doesn't have the $ for a good one the HP is one answer. I know they suck, but if it was a choice between a HP and a pocket knife I would choose the HP. It seems like the only people who stick up for them are owners, many of whom just don't know any better.
If you're being serious, I think you missed the humor in his post, because that's pretty much all it was about. If you are being funny, he's way funnier. :)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top