JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 11yr old granddaughter shoots my G34 just fine. The ONLY safety concern is with people that don't know how to be safe anyway. (Or peeps that are used to a wheel gun with a 12lb trigger and tend to start to take up some trigger before they actually shoot, violating one of the safety rules... )
So, not the ONLY concern... :D :s0087:

As an instructor friend of mine likes to say, it's not really a double action. It's more of a 1½ action. The slide resets the trigger about halfway. Sounds scary but the stats bear out exactly what you said. Not a gun for beginners but perfectly safe with a little practice.
My wife started with a Lionhart (Great Gun!!!) that has a small external manual safety, that was not pretty. Her gun handling was scary unsafe, but the shooting was great. She was safe by the end of course, but too slow, We re did the course a few months later with her using a Glock 17. Way better overall, no safety worries about gun handling and accuracy only a little off, Accuracy improved over time with the Glock especially after a barrel change. I think Glocks are better for newbies. Can't say the same for Hi Points though.

My wife started with a Lionhart (Great Gun!!!) that has a small external manual safety, that was not pretty. Her gun handling was scary unsafe, but the shooting was great. She was safe by the end of course, but too slow, We re did the course a few months later with her using a Glock 17. Way better overall, no safety worries about gun handling and accuracy only a little off, Accuracy improved over time with the Glock especially after a barrel change. I think Glocks are better for newbies. Can't say the same for Hi Points though.
Lionhart is a good gun. It's comfortable and accurate and has a decent trigger. I think they were imported by a company in Washington State. It has a weird manual of arms though, so not my first choice for a carry weapon.

"Firearm enthusiasts are not required to only like "nice guns". I refer you to motorcycle enthusiasts."

As a motorcycle enthusiast since 1965 I am familiar with the phenomenon. HD people have been known to look down on those who ride saki suckers and Big Twin riders have been known to look down on Sportster* riders. People like what they like for different reasons. Somebody who has a HP that they can shoot well enough for SD/HD has my respect, as does somebody who rides a saki sucker. If everybody liked the same thing there wouldn't be enough to go around.

* To those who call Sportys "chick bikes" I would point to mine (in my avatar) as being anything but that. Besides, chicks need bikes that work for them.
NOBODY looks down on on you when you're riding an original Indian Chief.

"Firearm enthusiasts are not required to only like "nice guns". I refer you to motorcycle enthusiasts."

As a motorcycle enthusiast since 1965 I am familiar with the phenomenon. HD people have been known to look down on those who ride saki suckers and Big Twin riders have been known to look down on Sportster* riders. People like what they like for different reasons. Somebody who has a HP that they can shoot well enough for SD/HD has my respect, as does somebody who rides a saki sucker. If everybody liked the same thing there wouldn't be enough to go around.

* To those who call Sportys "chick bikes" I would point to mine (in my avatar) as being anything but that. Besides, chicks need bikes that work for them.
NOBODY looks down on on you when you're riding an original Indian Chief.
I had a friend long ago who thought it was funny to strike up a conversation with a Harley rider when he'd see one near a really nice bike. He'd compliment them on their wheels, say something along the lines of, "Yeah, I used to ride one JUST like it... except mine was a Yamaha." I saw him do it once and the Harley rider was polite, but the look on his face was barely contained disgust. I told him that wasn't very nice but he just laughed.

Maybe I should try that the next time I see someone shooting a top-end 1911 of some kind. "Nice gun! I've got one just like it... except mine's a High Point!"

Which is more dangerous, offending a biker, or someone with a gun in their hand?

I had a friend long ago who thought it was funny to strike up a conversation with a Harley rider when he'd see one near a really nice bike. He'd compliment them on their wheels, say something along the lines of, "Yeah, I used to ride one JUST like it... except mine was a Yamaha." I saw him do it once and the Harley rider was polite, but the look on his face was barely contained disgust. I told him that wasn't very nice but he just laughed.

Maybe I should try that the next time I see someone shooting a top-end 1911 of some kind. "Nice gun! I've got one just like it... except mine's a High Point!"

Which is more dangerous, offending a biker, or someone with a gun in their hand?
I L'dOL. :s0114: First REAL job was wrenching at a Honda shop in Murray Utah. It was "Hardly Neverson". Or, you only start to worry when it ISN'T leaking oil. etc. But we made fun of EVERY bike that wasn't Honda.

Might do better with the "High End" 1911 gag if you said "RIA" perhaps?

I remember many years ago sitting at a bar next to a guy in a leather jacket with patches on it. He was botching about some lady in a minivan cutting him off and wondering how she could not hear his pipes. We talked about that and then I told him how I almost dumped a 400 changing lanes on the freeway in the rain earlier that week. I basically just and muscled the handlebars back upright - adrenalin and desperation can fix inattention sometimes. He looks at me and goes "Yeah, you can do that with those toy bikes." I started to laugh and then realized he wasn't joking. Oh well, plenty of other seats at the bar...

Some folks just can't leave a party unpooped.

Re: HDs and Saki Suckers
The big Nipponese V-Twins work just fine. My observation regarding HDs and Saki Suckers is whether one has it for what it does or what it is. The big Japanese cruisers work as well as or better than HDs. What you buy depends on whether you want how it performs or the name on the tank.
If I were buying a new V-Twin cruiser it would be an Indian for what it does AND for what it is.
1631029926675.png

Re: HDs and Saki Suckers
The big Nipponese V-Twins work just fine. My observation regarding HDs and Saki Suckers is whether one has it for what it does or what it is. The big Japanese cruisers work as well as or better than HDs. What you buy depends on whether you want how it performs or the name on the tank.
If I were buying a new V-Twin cruiser it would be an Indian for what it does AND for what it is.
View attachment 1027046
That's one sexy looking bike right there! Not MY style but I can appreciate the art and history of it for sure.

Yeah…..the mansion, the constant flow of expensive vehicles and all the other large purchases he flaunts every video put him past relatable for most of us. That WAS his channel's charm, a regular dude hanging with friends (and mannequins back in the day)) shooting guns and making it interesting while doing so. Now it's just a rich dude showing off his latest fancy purchases to us little people.
Don't you think you are being a little hard on the guy, I think he exudes modesty:

That was kind of my point! What? $149.99 for the high Point? VS $500.00 for the CZ? :s0114:
I wanna know who wants to pony-up even the $$ for the High Points just to wreck 'em?
And no, I don't care how indestructible the High point is. I'll, more than likely, never have one.
The more used high points that die a terrible death the better imo. Perhaps the ugliest gun ever made and every one of them is just a damn eyesore. If he is buying new and killing them that's bad cuz it's more $ in high points' pocket. I had a POS Bryco one time when I was young and foolish that looked better than those things.

The more used high points that die a terrible death the better imo. Perhaps the ugliest gun ever made and every one of them is just a damn eyesore. If he is buying new and killing them that's bad cuz it's more $ in high points' pocket. I had a POS Bryco one time when I was young and foolish that looked better than those things.
Yeah-but, wasn't Bryco along the lines of Jennings, Jimenez, and Rohm?

HA! Jimenez was formerly Bryco....

As far as I know the fugly High Points function properly for a good period of time. Not so much with the others.

As far as I know the fugly High Points function properly for a good period of time. Not so much with the others.
I think you are right, but High Point costs more to own. You have to consider that the owner of a high point will be eating a lot more food, considering they will be retching every time they take the gun to the range or happen to take a look at it. :p

"I think you are right, but High Point costs more to own. You have to consider that the owner of a high point will be eating a lot more food, considering they will be retching every time they take the gun to the range or happen to take a look at it."

This is an example of projection, i.e. projecting your own worldview on other people who may not share it. It's easy to do. This is a forum for people who like guns and know something about them. As knowledgeable enthusiasts, most of us think a HP is as fugly as a basket of smashed rectums and I wholly concur. What we may fail to recognize is that not everybody who suddenly wakes up and realizes that they need a pistol for SD/HD knows enough about guns to realize (or care) how totally hideous HPs are. As informed consumers we would generally prefer something else for budget SD/HD, most of which the newly enlightened don't even know exist.
In the post Civil War South the only sidearms legal for the peons were too expensive for Black People to afford. Voila! Gun control by economics. For somebody who needs a sidearm but doesn't have the $ for a good one the HP is one answer. I know they suck, but if it was a choice between a HP and a pocket knife I would choose the HP. It seems like the only people who stick up for them are owners, many of whom just don't know any better.

Last Edited:
I know they suck, but if it was a choice between a HP and a pocket knife I would choose the HP. It seems like the only people who stick up for them are owners, many of whom just don't know any better.
Now who's projecting? I could say the people who hate on them just don't know any better.
How many rounds have you shot though a HiPoint?
I grant that its the ugliest gun out there but they work The reason us owners stick up for them is because we have actually shot them.
No, it wouldn't be the first gun I go for if I knew a fight was coming, but in an emergency, but I also won't shun it if its the gun that's handy.

Like I said before, It's the Green Eggs and Ham of guns People hate them because they look weird but if they actually try them, they discover they aren't bad at all.

Last Edited:
Now who's projecting? I could say the people who hate on them just don't know any better.
How many rounds have you shot though a HiPoint?
I grant that its the ugliest gun out there but they work The reason us owners stick up for them is because we actually have shot them.
No, it wouldn't be the first gun I go for if I knew a fight was coming, but in an emergency, but I also won't shun it if its the gun that's handy.

Like I said before, It's the Green Eggs and Ham of guns People hate them because they look weird but if they actually try them, they discover they aren't bad at all.
I'd like people to stop pinching pennies and purchase firearms from manufacturers that actually give a damn about their customers and their potential customers. But folks can do whatever they want. For me it isn't about HP looks, it's about their lack of principles when marketing their products. To me, that's definitely worth going to the mat on.

If they can't even take themselves seriously ($100 bill and Yeet Cannon offerings) how the hell are gun enthusiasts supposed to? There's better options.

For me it isn't about HP looks, it's about their lack of principles when marketing their products. To me, that's definitely worth going to the mat on.
I don't think I've seen enough HP ads over the years to count on one hand? KelTec, yes. It might be I don't go where High Point advertises though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top