JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the "celebrity" status affects people differently. I used to watch Matt a lot. Every video. I even have a few of his shirts. I felt terrible when Dozer passed and even more so when his brother did. That's when I still found him kind of relatable and a regular guy. But then more and more videos of "Don't tell Mere what I bought" started getting old. Every other video was a new car, a new toy or a new expensive firearm most of us could never buy (Gold plated DE, F1 AR to name a couple). He went from an interesting family man to a rich guy flaunting every purchase and spoiling his kids rotten. Completely unrelatable to most working families, especially during such volatile economic times.

As far as Hi-Point.......

Most of you know I strongly dislike them. Some even try to defend them as being a decent firearm. That's where I chime in. Reason?

1. Poor engineering
2. Poor material quality
3. Poor ergonomics
4. Poor aftermarket support
5. Poor QC

And my even BIGGER reason to hate them?

They market their products as cheap, easy and disposable. They exploit this even going so far as to make a "Yeet Cannon" which for those that don't know is just a play on urban slang. Sorry, but MOST gun enthusiasts I know aren't going to get all excited about YEET CANNON painted on their slide. They market it to a specific audience and don't care one bit if that audience is even allowed to own a gun. They don't care. About anything they make, distribute or advertise. I'm not saying other companies don't market their products to specific audiences, but HP is the only firearm manufacturer that does so seemingly proudly.

So for those that say they are good guns or a good option or whatever, really think about the company you are supporting with your money. There are other options in that general price point that will serve you better.
So there's videos showing how tough these guns are but you maintain they poorly engineered with poor material?
Yeah, the gun is ugly and reading a lot of reviews (and their comments) make me wonder about the QC inasmuch as probably 90+% love their HiPoints while the remainder hate them.
OTOH I haven't (yet) found any complaints about customer service.
I read one review where the author claimed he only hit paper with twice out of 2 magazines AT 3 YARDS! I have to call BS on that unless he was shooting at a postage stamp. I have never seen a gun that inaccurate in my 40+ years of gun buying, and that includes a Davis .380 I once owned.
I bought my HiPoints because I was curious after reading such wildly divergent reviews. So far they(9, .40 & .45) have all been flawless in their first two hundred rounds each. I just picked up a Sig 320 AXG Classic and had 11 stovepipes out of 102 rounds (6-17 round mags). Do I think the Sig is crap? Hell no. Every gun needs a break in period, which is why I'm generally dubious when a gun-writer complains about stoppages when a gun is fresh out of the box. Yes, it's great when a brand new gun works well straight out of the box, but I am more interested in how it works after a few hundred rounds. Equally, each gun is unique and while the basics should be the same, some new triggers are good, like that Sig and others are rougher ala Kahr or yes, the HiPoint, and I'll note that while the 45's trigger improved noticeably over the shooting sessions, the 9 improved only a little while the 40 not much at all. I guess I could call that a QC issue but even so, none of the triggers prevented me from getting good hits on a silhouette target at 7 and/or 10 yards. And while field stripping the HiPoint is easy, reassembling it is another story, although like any other gun it will get easier with experience.

re: HiPoint's marketing, They are aiming for a low-end market, no doubt but they are also marketing to folks who can't afford something better. Hell people buy ammo and guns from countries that are hostile to the United States because they are less expensive. Does that make them traitors? No, money is tight and people need affordable guns and ammo. Same thing with HiPoint. It allows financially strapped people the means to defend themselves.
No, the HiPoints won't be my first or 25th choice for my go to gun, but for folks who don't have the money for that CQB, or Glock or even a Taurus, the HiPoint is more than an acceptable option. If you can afford that CQB or Taurus then get one, it is a better gun, but if you can't, $200 gets you a HiPoint and a box or 2 of ammo..

The HiPoint is the Green Eggs and Ham of guns So many people hate them until they actually try them. They won't run right out and buy one after they shoot one, but folks have been damn near unanimous in having their opinions about HiPoints raised after actually shooting one.

Try it sometime.

So there's videos showing how tough these guns are but you maintain they poorly engineered with poor material?
Yeah, the gun is ugly and reading a lot of reviews (and their comments) make me wonder about the QC inasmuch as probably 90+% love their HiPoints while the remainder hate them.
OTOH I haven't (yet) found any complaints about customer service.
I read one review where the author claimed he only hit paper with twice out of 2 magazines AT 3 YARDS! I have to call BS on that unless he was shooting at a postage stamp. I have never seen a gun that inaccurate in my 40+ years of gun buying, and that includes a Davis .380 I once owned.
I bought my HiPoints because I was curious after reading such wildly divergent reviews. So far they(9, .40 & .45) have all been flawless in their first two hundred rounds each. I just picked up a Sig 320 AXG Classic and had 11 stovepipes out of 102 rounds (6-17 round mags). Do I think the Sig is crap? Hell no. Every gun needs a break in period, which is why I'm generally dubious when a gun-writer complains about stoppages when a gun is fresh out of the box. Yes, it's great when a brand new gun works well straight out of the box, but I am more interested in how it works after a few hundred rounds. Equally, each gun is unique and while the basics should be the same, some new triggers are good, like that Sig and others are rougher ala Kahr or yes, the HiPoint, and I'll note that while the 45's trigger improved noticeably over the shooting sessions, the 9 improved only a little while the 40 not much at all. I guess I could call that a QC issue but even so, none of the triggers prevented me from getting good hits on a silhouette target at 7 and/or 10 yards. And while field stripping the HiPoint is easy, reassembling it is another story, although like any other gun it will get easier with experience.

re: HiPoint's marketing, They are aiming for a low-end market, no doubt but they are also marketing to folks who can't afford something better. Hell people buy ammo and guns from countries that are hostile to the United States because they are less expensive. Does that make them traitors? No, money is tight and people need affordable guns and ammo. Same thing with HiPoint. It allows financially strapped people the means to defend themselves.
No, the HiPoints won't be my first or 25th choice for my go to gun, but for folks who don't have the money for that CQB, or Glock or even a Taurus, the HiPoint is more than an acceptable option. If you can afford that CQB or Taurus then get one, it is a better gun, but if you can't, $200 gets you a HiPoint and a box or 2 of ammo..

The HiPoint is the Green Eggs and Ham of guns So many people hate them until they actually try them. They won't run right out and buy one after they shoot one, but folks have been damn near unanimous in having their opinions about HiPoints raised after actually shooting one.

Try it sometime.
Geez I'm starting to think about buying one again. Seriously. They shoot a lot better than a $150 gun should. Really a used $150 gun can't be expected to run as well as a new HP does.

I would like to try one myself someday when I have the chance, but I don't see myself buying one just to try it out.I have no doubt that they're very usable and a whole lot better than nothing.

What I warn people about is going too cheap when buying a gun. If you're going to shoot it much, and can afford to save up just a little more money, you'll be a lot happier with something a little nicer. For example, I bought a Sccy 9mm pistol last year for about $170, as I recall. That's not much more than a Hi-Point, and it looks and feels a lot better, to me. Not that a HP isn't a decent value for the money. I actually regret buying the Sccy a little. It's not a bad gun, but I just never shoot it.

The same can be said for .22 revolvers. I tell everyone I know, please don't buy a Rough Rider unless it's all you can spend or you're not going to be shooting much. Save up the extra $50 or $60 and get a Ruger Wrangler. The Rough Rider is a decent value for the money and most of them are very usable. If you get a good one you'll be tickled pink, for the money. But the Wrangler really is SO much better. Quality is head and shoulders above the Rough Rider for not that much more money.

It's all in what you want, and what you can afford. Both the High Point and the Rough rider are very serviceable handguns for the money. You just can't expect too much for quality in that price range. I think they do fairly well for what they are.

I would like to try one myself someday when I have the chance, but I don't see myself buying one just to try it out.I have no doubt that they're very usable and a whole lot better than nothing.

What I warn people about is going too cheap when buying a gun. If you're going to shoot it much, and can afford to save up just a little more money, you'll be a lot happier with something a little nicer. For example, I bought a Sccy 9mm pistol last year for about $170, as I recall. That's not much more than a Hi-Point, and it looks and feels a lot better, to me. Not that a HP isn't a decent value for the money. I actually regret buying the Sccy a little. It's not a bad gun, but I just never shoot it.

The same can be said for .22 revolvers. I tell everyone I know, please don't buy a Rough Rider unless it's all you can spend or you're not going to be shooting much. Save up the extra $50 or $60 and get a Ruger Wrangler. The Rough Rider is a decent value for the money and most of them are very usable. If you get a good one you'll be tickled pink, for the money. But the Wrangler really is SO much better. Quality is head and shoulders above the Rough Rider for not that much more money.

It's all in what you want, and what you can afford. Both the High Point and the Rough rider are very serviceable handguns for the money. You just can't expect too much for quality in that price range. I think they do fairly well for what they are.
The SCCY is way more ergonomic.

I have a JCP 40 S&W, Hi Point. I launched and lost the firing pin and spring, but Iberia Customer Service to a prompt and free rescue. Then I found the lost ones, so I have spares n hand.,

I ordered some Talon rubberized grip tape as the slightly pebbled grip of the gun seemed smooth to me, then I forgot I had them, so I reordered the Pro (Pebbled rubber) version and installed them. Wow that was just what the Doctor ordered!

The SCCY is way more ergonomic.
If I "had to" choose one I would take the Sccy hands down BUT, they are FAR harder for many to shoot. Sccy is a copy of one of the early Kel-Tecs which I have. That little 9mm still impresses me at how well it works, how light it is, and how cheap it was. When I bought it I was looking to replace my last 5 shot 38 my little girl took with her when she struck out on her own. Sales guy showed it to me, I balked at price and feel. He assured me they sold well. So I paid a little over $200 headed back to the range with a couple boxes of ammo. Damned if the pistol did not just work. One downside is they are so light they do have impressive recoil for a little 9. Wife fired it one round and would not pick it back up again. The HP's are larger and heavier. Again not my choice but from what I have seen? If it was a choice of one of them or no gun? Easy choice for me, HP. Many do not seem to understand that many who want a gun do not have the budget to buy a Glock. If they can afford the HP now, rather than something better in a month? I would say get the damn HP.

1) "Yeet is an exclamation of excitement, approval, surprise, or all-around energy, often as issued when doing a dance move or throwing something."
Sounds like what a chimp does to intimidate the other chimps.

2) Disclaimer: I have never owned or shot a HP and I think they are even uglier than a Glock.
That said, this is a forum for firearms enthusiasts, and HP is NOT made for people who like nice guns or know much about guns in general. Poor people need a HD piece too, and HP meets that need if you got one that works. It seems like the only people who defend them are satisfied owners. I wouldn't buy one either unless it was the only choice, but then I'm not the target sales demographic.

@GWS i appreciate your post and find some of what you said to be insightful.

But I'll never try a Hi-Point. I'll never buy one either. There's just no need for me to waste money on one. I won't like it, I won't make excuses for it and I won't recommend it to anyone. So kind of a waste of time. :)

1) "Yeet is an exclamation of excitement, approval, surprise, or all-around energy, often as issued when doing a dance move or throwing something."
Sounds like what a chimp does to intimidate the other chimps.

2) Disclaimer: I have never owned or shot a HP and I think they are even uglier than a Glock.
That said, this is a forum for firearms enthusiasts, and HP is NOT made for people who like nice guns or know much about guns in general. Poor people need a HD piece too, and HP meets that need if you got one that works. It seems like the only people who defend them are satisfied owners. I wouldn't buy one either unless it was the only choice, but then I'm not the target sales demographic.

"this is a forum for firearms enthusiasts, and HP is NOT made for people who like nice guns"
Firearm enthusiasts are not required to only like "nice guns". I refer you to motorcycle enthusiasts. 😆

"It seems like the only people who defend them are satisfied owners."
I have kind of defended them and I don't own one. So that's one. Kind of.

If you hate them that's OK. I don't particularly like Glocks but I shoot them well and even own one. I don't hate on them though. Well, only for fun. :D

I resolutely intend to keep my Hi Point even if you and Joe Biden do not like them! So There!

I do wonder which population center has and uses the most Hi Points? I don't think it is Portland.

Actually New York confiscates the most HiPoints
In Chicago it's Smith and Wesson by a mile,
Higher class of scumbags I guess

"this is a forum for firearms enthusiasts, and HP is NOT made for people who like nice guns"
Firearm enthusiasts are not required to only like "nice guns". I refer you to motorcycle enthusiasts. 😆

"It seems like the only people who defend them are satisfied owners."
I have kind of defended them and I don't own one. So that's one. Kind of.

If you hate them that's OK. I don't particularly like Glocks but I shoot them well and even own one. I don't hate on them though. Well, only for fun. :D
I have always been a big thumbs down to Glocks but, I have often said if I had to run into a shop and grab a hand gun that I could not try? I would look for a Glock. When they first hit and I got to shoot one it was an impressive piece of work. That early one had a fairly nice trigger and the first thing I said is this will be a problem if they start handing these out to Cops who have never had anything but a wheel gun. It did not take long for that prediction to come true. That was more lack of training though. Their "solution" to make the damn trigger much harder to pull always seemed like very poor way to deal with this that really screwed up how easy they were to shoot accurately.

I have always been a big thumbs down to Glocks but, I have often said if I had to run into a shop and grab a hand gun that I could not try? I would look for a Glock. When they first hit and I got to shoot one it was an impressive piece of work. That early one had a fairly nice trigger and the first thing I said is this will be a problem if they start handing these out to Cops who have never had anything but a wheel gun. It did not take long for that prediction to come true. That was more lack of training though. Their "solution" to make the damn trigger much harder to pull always seemed like very poor way to deal with this that really screwed up how easy they were to shoot accurately.
As an instructor friend of mine likes to say, it's not really a double action. It's more of a 1½ action. The slide resets the trigger about halfway. Sounds scary but the stats bear out exactly what you said. Not a gun for beginners but perfectly safe with a little practice.

As an instructor friend of mine likes to say, it's not really a double action. It's more of a 1½ action. The slide resets the trigger about halfway. Sounds scary but the stats bear out exactly what you said. Not a gun for beginners but perfectly safe with a little practice.
Yep, that first one I shot had what felt like maybe #5 trigger pull and it was very smooth and short. Hand that to someone who had only used a D/A wheel gun and it's VERY different. Put them in a high stress situation and you started to have too many AD's. I just always thought the things were butt ugly but damned if they did not work right out of the box.
When the great Clinton mag ban was going in I wanted one double stack 9 even though I did not like them. Just wanted one. So I bought a Ruger P-89. To me it was the same, butt ugly damn monster. Years later though it became the "house gun" for the Wife who is super recoil sensitive. With that monster she could shoot +P loads and not complain. So she had a gun that all she had to do was pick it up and it would fire 16 times if needed. It to just will not fail even with cheap garbage mags. So as time went on it started to look a little better to the eye :D
It's long retired now. Use it now and then when I want a gun I can leave someplace or such.

My 11yr old granddaughter shoots my G34 just fine. The ONLY safety concern is with people that don't know how to be safe anyway. (Or peeps that are used to a wheel gun with a 12lb trigger and tend to start to take up some trigger before they actually shoot, violating one of the safety rules... )

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads