JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any suggestions on mag pouches for the 5.11 TacTec vest?

Not sure what is best as far as pouches holding (1) AR mag or (2) stacked AR mags.

I guess I'm looking for the best setup configuration for the front and back of the vest.

Edited to add: This would be for an emergency grab and go setup.

Surplus for cheap.
Heard lots of good things about HSGI Tacos
But honestly, surplus MOLLE mag pouches will work just fine if you don't need instant access/open topped.

Some of the better quality brands available in the surplus market are as follows;

Eagle Industries (mostly USMC Coyote brown, some Khaki, some green)

Specialty Plastics/Specialty Defense Systems; these are usually MOLLE/MOLLE II in woodland, MOLLE II in Desert, coyote, ACU/UCP. Most look like they came off the LBVs in design but just has MOLLE on the back. Very old stuff usually. The M4 double pouches with velcro closures are the newer ones. Theres also the triple Shingle/3-mag pockets that are low profile (single layer).

Fire Force USA, USGI contract M4 pockets. Available in all colors it seems. Best to order directly. They also sell triple mag pockets that are similar to Tactical Tailor, I think they were from the USAF DFLCS system?

Tactical Tailor, usually triple pouches for the MAV vests. Looks like big box pockets, not triple shingles.

Newer brands
HSGI
Esstac
Bae Systems/Eclipse (took ovet Specialty Defense Systems)

PNW Owned and made. High quality. Not made in a country that hates us.

Most of the mag pouches I found are single stack so one ends up with 3-4 across. Any thoughts on single stack vs double stack?

I prefer double pouches with a divider and ether open top under tension, or with a quick thumb brake/one handed access closure! this way, I can carry 4 to 6 across. I Am one of those odd ball dudes who carry two rifles, so, I usually carry 4 and 4, 5.56 on the right side, 7.62X51 left side, and two double pistol pouches on the left chest. I find this the best combo of capacity and weight I can easieally carry for long periods with out having anything but a rifle and hydration bladder on my back! I don't like anything below the belt, so this works best for me!

Go with single stacks if you are worried about ever going prone. If you aren't worried about that, then get the double stacks. I too, would recommend Esstac and have a look at the Midlength pouches.

Go with single stacks if you are worried about ever going prone. If you aren't worried about that, then get the double stacks. I too, would recommend Esstac and have a look at the Midlength pouches.
Good point about prone. I have a VN Vet Marine friend and he mentioned he could not get low enough when the two way range ramped up.

Examples I went with,
Load up how you want, I have the 5.11 pistol pouch and Valken 2 mag rifle pouch.
Both have excelent molle.
The tolerences are really tight and strong.
I dont want any more garbage on this carrier, and anything with molle sticks or malice clips serve no purpose those attachments suck.

20210803_183108.jpg 20210803_183053.jpg 20210803_183003.jpg 20210803_182917.jpg 20210803_182710.jpg 20210803_182654.jpg

I like the HSGI pouches, I've sprinted full speed with mags in them and they didn't go anywhere. If I was in the brush or proning out on a regular basis I would want 1 open mag pouch for a quick reload and the rest would be closed to reduce losing gear or picking up a bunch of dirt/foliage in my pouches.

In terms of placement, I prefer mags on the weak side cummerbund. It allows me to leave the front slick if I want

In that sense, a set up for being at the house and stationary could be very different than one designed for lots of movement.

A decent backpack can also go a long way at helping with molle pouches, because if you have a backpack of mags, you don't need to have all the pouches all over the place on the carrier.

Another vote for Esstac KIWI single-mag rifle pouches on the front to keep things fast and low-profile. If you want more than three, mount pouches with bungees upside down across the back so you can pull them out the bottom and reload your primary pouches up front if needed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top