JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On a different forum, there raised a question on whether there exists commercially a pack bag that can be used with a MOLLE Frame, and is sized the same as the Medium ALICE main compartment, but with just MOLLE.... the user desired a bag with the following specifications

1) 30-35 liters, or same cubic inches as the Medium ALICE main compartment

2) has MOLLE on exterior

3) top loading, with storm collar or drawstring closure, under standard flap

4) doesn't have multiple compartments or extra straps, flaps, dividers, zippers.

Basically he's looking for what amounts to a simple pack bag but with MOLLE on the outside...

I have found only custom modified ALICE Mediums, and practically every ALICE pack bag on the market are sized Large with multiple pockets and compartments

The FILBE main pack is excessively large, the MOLLE Medium has too many separate compartments and is zippered, most if not all MOLLE 3 day+ packs are also multiple compartments with zippers...

The older MOLLE II Rifleman's Ruck main bag is close in specs, but doesn't have MOLLE all over the sides, and has the claymore pocket.. it can only fit the Sustainment Pouches on the sides. (Very specific mounts, minimal MOLLE with lots of empty space)

I am considering making 2 to 3 pack bags, with the following specs options;
Pack 1
Olive green everything but hardware, classic black hardware
20x7x13 size, MOLLE and ALICE external and MOLLE on back panel inside; low profile, more a day pack/2-3 day assault pack
Fits ALICE frame and maybe FILBE frame

Pack 2
Same colors
19x12x9 (same as Medium ALICE)
Same MOLLE/ALICE external, same MOLLE panel inside
Same fitment

Pack 3
Coyote brown everything tan 499/coyote tan hardware
Fits FILBE frames; essentially a Mini-FILBE
20x13x9 size, between Medium ALICE and Large ALICE sizes

Edit. Which of these 3 would likely be a decent pack bag for the NW? Of course one would say make all three and see how they do lol but I really do not go out and use packs all that much beyond packing for camp trips and so on... I'd like some people to test run them?

Last Edited:
How Bout Surplus? Should be able to score the Camel Back MILSPEC Hydration Bladder and Pack pretty easy!
I know @3MTA3 was looking earlier, might see what he came up with!
I have two camelbak hydration packs, but they are way too small, just fits the hydration bladders, one is just bladder bag, the other fits 4 m4 mags and a bladder and thats it.

Your likely going to have to customize an existing set up to meet your needs!
I prefer ALICE my self, as it's not limited to 100% vertical orientation, and standardized size compartments and components!

Not aware of anything that would meet @CamoDeafie 's requirement, but I would check out Mystery Ranch - they make a buttload of mission specific military and police packs. High dollar, but higher quality.

BTW if you brew your own, the Coyote hardware used for ILBE, FILBE, etc is easily found on Amazon and eBAY. Prices are not bad.

Your likely going to have to customize an existing set up to meet your needs!
I prefer ALICE my self, as it's not limited to 100% vertical orientation, and standardized size compartments and components!
It aint gonna be just modify. Its gonna be 100% new bags from materials off ebay and amazon and locally

Not aware of anything that would meet @CamoDeafie 's requirement, but I would check out Mystery Ranch - they make a buttload of mission specific military and police packs. High dollar, but higher quality.

BTW if you brew your own, the Coyote hardware used for ILBE, FILBE, etc is easily found on Amazon and eBAY. Prices are not bad.

Yea thats my source for the materials; as for MR, most all the packs I can see are either too big, or too compartmentalized/specialized/organized... basically, too many features that the size doesnt give much option for a simple bag like the old ALICE types.

It aint gonna be just modify. Its gonna be 100% new bags from materials off ebay and amazon and locally

Yea thats my source for the materials; as for MR, most all the packs I can see are either too big, or too compartmentalized/specialized/organized... basically, too many features that the size doesnt give much option for a simple bag like the old ALICE types.

All except my biggest packs have a single compartment. In fact, my first backpack (back when an aluminum external frame was high tech and you could still find wooden frame rucks) after it's second trip (OK, so it was over 200 miles total) wound up getting the then standard four external pockets removed and replaced by home made lashing straps that came out very much like MOLLE. I like the simplicity of a single compartment, and my two compartment bags always get sleep gear in one.

IMO home brew wounds interesting. I used to make a bunch of my stuff because nobody made what I wanted. You just need a sewing machine that can handle some leather so you can add the MOLLE/PALS.

IMO home brew wounds interesting. I used to make a bunch of my stuff because nobody made what I wanted. You just need a sewing machine that can handle some leather so you can add the MOLLE/PALS
Newest threads at top. I use a 60s Singer machine on 500-1000D Cordura, cargo webbing, sometimes foam padding, sometimes air mesh.. have also used same machine on very lightweight waterproof nylons as can be seen in oldest thread

Newest threads at top. I use a 60s Singer machine on 500-1000D Cordura, cargo webbing, sometimes foam padding, sometimes air mesh.. have also used same machine on very lightweight waterproof nylons as can be seen in oldest thread

Very nice!

I just purchased a Cannae Sarcina pack for my GHB. Simple bag like you describe at 34 liters.

It looks like a nice bag;
Except its not quite what the guy wants, or what I am going to make...

Can't go much simpler than a simple pack bag with 0 zippers, only 1 lid pocket (maybe); and just plain MOLLE on the outside, nothing else; and be both ALICE frame and FILBE/1606AC frame compatible.

In essence, want more organization? Add MOLLE pouches. Want less? Go with stuff sacks and leave MOLLE exterior slick.

Heres thread on the MOLLE pack bag I made for the USMC FILBE frame. I might have underpacked the 5,000 cubic inch FILBE and Large ALICE packs, so they dont look that much bigger...

Heres thread on the MOLLE pack bag I made for the USMC FILBE frame. I might have underpacked the 5,000 cubic inch FILBE and Large ALICE packs, so they dont look that much bigger...

Man that's a nice job!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads