JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yesterday I ran an informal class on shotgun use...
Please note that I am not a professional firearm instructor...
Nor do I claim any title or expert of anything status..
Just someone who has shot a lot of different shotguns and has used one a time or two on deployment while in the Army...

Mostly I just focused on :

Getting folks to work the shotgun from their shoulder...if they were using a pump action shotgun...

Understanding that you don't just point in the general direction of the target and shoot...

That a large bead from sight , is quick and easy to use as well as accurate...not to saying not to use other sight systems...just don't automatically discount a bead sight...

Patterns matter , how you shoot the gun , what choke you use and what ammo is chosen all will effect the pattern of shot from you gun...not to forget to mention distance to target...

How to smoothly re-load...

Shooting stance...

Having folks understand that, if they learn to work the gun they have , they will learn to hit , with practice...

Good practicing of skills beats any store bought skill...
Andy

The shot gun hulls squish into ovals when loaded long term, leading to jams. Also, the 10 rd magazines are very unwieldy.

I under load my shotgun buy one round so don't have any issues with the shot shells compressed into ovals. I load the same shells again too until I shoot them at the range every so often. I know my Maverick 88 has shells in it that are more than 5 years old since it has become a safe queen.

I take it out my safe unload it and oil the barrel every 6 months or so. Don't see any rust or anything and receiver is aluminum since all of my shotgun's are Mossbergs except for my SLP. I do take the bolts out and lube them up about once a year or so too.

I used to shoot cases of 00 buckshot over the years too since my shotgun was all I had for a long gun until I got my AR.

Yesterday I ran an informal class on shotgun use...
Please note that I am not a professional firearm instructor...
Nor do I claim any title or expert of anything status..
Just someone who has shot a lot of different shotguns and has used one a time or two on deployment while in the Army...

Mostly I just focused on :

Getting folks to work the shotgun from their shoulder...if they were using a pump action shotgun...

Understanding that you don't just point in the general direction of the target and shoot...

That a large bead from sight , is quick and easy to use as well as accurate...not to saying not to use other sight systems...just don't automatically discount a bead sight...

Patterns matter , how you shoot the gun , what choke you use and what ammo is chosen all will effect the pattern of shot from you gun...not to forget to mention distance to target...

How to smoothly re-load...

Shooting stance...

Having folks understand that, if they learn to work the gun they have , they will learn to hit , with practice...

Good practicing of skills beats any store bought skill...
Andy

As has been said...you don't need a high dollar firearm, but one needs a durable model, and one certainly needs training to go with it.

I under load my shotgun buy one round so don't have any issues with the shot shells compressed into ovals. I load the same shells again too until I shoot them at the range every so often. I know my Maverick 88 has shells in it that are more than 5 years old since it has become a safe queen.

I take it out my safe unload it and oil the barrel every 6 months or so. Don't see any rust or anything and receiver is aluminum since all of my shotgun's are Mossbergs except for my SLP. I do take the bolts out and lube them up about once a year or so too.

I used to shoot cases of 00 buckshot over the years too since my shotgun was all I had for a long gun until I got my AR.

My comment was specific to mag fed. The 88 is a pump.

I am super duper looking forward to a Mossberg 930M. I'm not suggesting that I know anything about Mossberg's plans, but they put out the 590M. I'm assuming (hoping) that they expand to a 930 with a new magazine-fed receiver.

Last Edited:
Those Magpul SGA stocks are amazing! I totally agree with @titsonritz. I am able to adjust the cheek riser height, put in a QD location for a sling, adjust LOP, plus the angle of the grip is great! I'm not quite as impressed by their matching foreends, but the stocks are great additions for a defensive, working shotgun.

14" 870. Simple, effective and proven

20200330_164513.jpg

I think it's funny people always want to think a new cheap 870 Express is just like an older 870 Wingmaster. They dont just start breaking apart and it doesnt need to be a police model. Lol

Generally, this model has lower-end parts compare to the Wingmaster, including plastic trigger guards, weaker springs, a MIM (metal injection molded) extractor, and a magazine cap retention system that uses a plastic plunger forcing itself against the magazine cap to secure the barrel.

The magazine has dimples that must be removed before a magazine extension can be installed. The Express has non-reflective black matte metalwork and a no-frills hardwood stock and forend.

a magazine cap retention system that uses a plastic plunger forcing itself against the magazine cap to secure the barrel.

The magazine has dimples that must be removed before a magazine extension can be installed.

You should pick up a wingmaster made in the last 10 years. This is standard across all production

I've also been watching this one closely. Looks like a decent magazine fed shotgun. If AK varieties aren't your thing. Rock Island VR80

View attachment 557768
Have one, shoots soft and built really well. Handles like an AR and I think it one of the better mag fed 12g out right now. loves Wolf 9pellet but will shoot down to 1100fps loads. its proved itself reliable and have about 350 shells through it, and with the bolt locked back and a mag in the gun slap the bolt release and it charges faster than my Braced Tac13. Stuff a 5rnd mag in each back pocket and your good to go.

These are true fighting shotguns: M930 on the far left, M500's to the right.
View attachment 557769

This M930 holds 7+1+1 for 9 total... that's a LOT of 12ga firepower within 18"
View attachment 557770

;)
Does the 930 require any alterations or extras to mount the bayonet?
Or, is there a certain model of bayonet that already fits it?
I notice that the 590 uses a different type of mount or a different type of bayonet, any one better than the other?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top