JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I tend to be realistic, sometimes seen as negative, but it's my coping mechanism for the harsh reality that life sometimes bring us.

I'm just so excited to hear this turned out well. These people have had enough hard times, and to know the lost hunter was a father of 5, man I can't imagine the elation they had to hear the news.
ah man, i didnt mean for that to call anyone out.i didnt think you were being negative. i just was generally speaking. sorry if it came off that way!!!

seriously im glad everythings ok. 5 kids dont need to lose dad.

I hope HE has the good to buy a Lottery Ticket and one for the Irish:D:D:D Sweepstakes!

Without a doubt His Luck is running the right way at the moment.:s0104:

Glad hunter dude's fine. I didn't really have too many worries. An outdoors man/hunter/firearm enthusiast would generally have an extra amount of smarts compared to your standard skinny jean, bun wearin', latte sipper i would think. A way to make fire, a compass, a decent knife, warm clothes, and a rifle really up the odds of survival I would think. Oh, and not panicking! The man did well.

An outdoors man/hunter/firearm enthusiast would generally have an extra amount of smarts compared to your standard skinny jean, bun wearin', latte sipper i would think.
One would really hope so. Now here's the But. On this site is a Post about the "First Hunt" and it's one of many where the individual is asking for advice. In reading that Post it's clear that he was ill equipt to be in the field and would have been up the creek if he had been lost - Except for the fact he had internet access - which I'm sure wasn't really in his plan. One of the Main reasons that SAR is even around is because too many people go out to "Play" in the Woods and on our Mountains who really don't have a clue. And just because someone owns Firearms doesn't automatically make them knowledgible about being Lost.

All I was saying was the man with proper equipment has much better odds than someone without. I also realize there could be fully outfitted morons in the forest that could parish.

Having stuff is only 30% of the battle. All the cool guy gucci gear won't do you any good if you don't know how to use it or find dry fire wood/kindling/tinder etc. A lot of guys would be far better off with cheaper gear and more time spent learning field craft either by taking classes or finding a mentor outdoorsy type to show them the way.

I have never been hunting before aside from hunting gophers and starlings in our orchard as a kid. I could figure out how to dress out an animal if I have to - probably not a lot different than gutting and skinning a fish - but that is a skill I am deficient in - and I love playing in the woods. I think I would be OK fir a while out there provided I had food or could fish. Otherwise they would probably find me stuffed with pine nuts and tree bark...:eek:

I have never understood why it is so hard to set down with a map of an area and identify where the roads are where the rivers are and any possible high points such as peaks. Get this basic topography down and with a basic compass you can get out of most places. Just basic prep the first few times you go into a new area. A GPS is no substitute for a compass but is a heck of an odds changer if you know how to use it. If your going to play the game set yourself up to win from the start.

I take this very seriously especially since I have diabetes and not eating for a day could seriously change my future.

I have never understood why it is so hard to set down with a map of an area and identify where the roads are where the rivers are and any possible high points such as peaks. Get this basic topography down and with a basic compass you can get out of most places. Just basic prep the first few times you go into a new area. A GPS is no substitute for a compass but is a heck of an odds changer if you know how to use it. If your going to play the game set yourself up to win from the start.

In a pinch, if your not going to stay put, you can always keep heading down hill and you will find a creek the feeds a river or lake.

Being prepared would be the goal though...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top