JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been lost for a few hours before I have also been caught in some rough areas after dark. You learn that the 70$ flashlight you thought was too expensive really isn't or that heavy road flare wasn't all that heavy pretty quick. There is no teacher like experience.

There is no teacher like experience.
The problem is that in this case(being Lost) the "Learning" process can actually get you killed. Kind of like the first time you take a knife to a Gun Fight just might be your Last time for anything!

People laugh at the Boy Scouts but I'm here because I was both a Boy Scout and then an Explorer. And I'm proud of it.

I hope he's equipped to be out for a while. Frankly, I have little faith that is the case. Too many years in SAR and having seen too many people who go out with out even the Basics to be able to survive. I just hope this isn't another one.

I recall some pine barrens around the lake that if you wandered off the trail at all, you would never find it again. Everything looks the same. Barely visible trail. Easy to get lost.

Had a scout leader and a couple kids get lost over night on a hike just going over a ridge to fish in a lake. When they started to loose the light they came back and missed the trail when they crossed it. Spent a cold night without gear except for one fanny pack. By Morning the leader had figured out what went wrong and wandered back into camp. Embarrassing, but eventually a learning experience. The other leader and the rest of the kids worried not knowing what happened to the others but stayed put until they had light. They were starting to plan the search when the missing crew walked into camp.

Never go anywhere in the woods without your Map and Compass. Know your landmarks and be able to place them on the map.

I'd really hope the SAR folks get a chance to do a debriefing. That sort of thing can be very helpful if the right people are available. A debrief with the individual can add a little to what might be done or changed during the next operation.

I fell into a brush-covered outflow below a beaver dam on Green Top in the S Trask unit.

Only supported by my arms; my feet couldn't reach the bottom.

I was well-below the surrounding brush; nobody would have seen me unless they were 10 feet away.

I struggled for an hour (a minute or so) before I pulled myself out.

No more shortcuts below a beaver dam.

The issue I would have been most concerned about from my experiance and the information we had would be if he was injured. It is easy to be injured bad fall and hypothermia will do the rest. He was found 8 miles from the search area. There are few places on the planet flat and monolithic enough that if you were not injured and mobile enough to walk 8 miles, you couldn't get somewhere to find assistance. Off course, add a little panic, missing a few meals and weather, all bets are off.

The issue I would have been most concerned about from my experiance and the information we had would be if he was injured. It is easy to be injured bad fall and hypothermia will do the rest. He was found 8 miles from the search area. There are few places on the planet flat and monolithic enough that if you were not injured and mobile enough to walk 8 miles, you couldn't get somewhere to find assistance. Off course, add a little panic, missing a few meals and weather, all bets are off.

Wait, what? This is America... We have roadless areas larger than certain European countries. 8 miles??? I mean, Eagle Cap wilderness here in Oregon is relatively small and it is almost 600 square miles of roadless area.

No offense, but either I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, or you aren't aware of how big some of our wildernesses are (which doesn't make sense if you live in Idaho - freakin' Frank Church is the largest wilderness in the lower 48)

He did good. Glad he made his way out.

In the woods since I was in 4th grade (hiking while dad carried the rifle) and I can't think of a single time that anywhere we went I didn't know how to get home. Hunting in the Desolation unit I always remember how many ridges, where the saddles are, the rock faces, creek bottoms and what way camp is. Never had a concern walking out if I was separated. Downhill to the creek, keep going with the water until you hit a camp...

The will to survive is strong with that guy, even if you remove the 5 kids factor!

Signal fire... get it going and let the fir needles burn. Smoke, smoke, smoke... lol.

I always pack a space blanket and small signal flares I bought at walmart.
Chances of making a fire in most times of the year in the NW are sketchy at best,
When I did SAR I carried a small water tight bottle of gas and a road flare.
Makes for a great fire starter.

Wait, what? This is America... We have roadless areas larger than certain European countries. 8 miles??? I mean, Eagle Cap wilderness here in Oregon is relatively small and it is almost 600 square miles of roadless area.

No offense, but either I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, or you aren't aware of how big some of our wildernesses are (which doesn't make sense if you live in Idaho - freakin' Frank Church is the largest wilderness in the lower 48)
I spent 13 years in the USAF as a professional (combat) rescue man. I have been to 3 different USAF 6 week survival schools including the one near where I grew up in northeastern Washington. My units rescued hundreds of people (civilians) every year. 8 miles is a long way to travel and still be lost. Even in the Frank Church (I floated the Salmon there with Jimmy Carter because I was from the area and so familiar with it) traveling 8 miles you would find streams or ridges allowing you to get your bearings and return to where you started or another place of safety. I have worked on every continent. There are a few places that are so flat without landmarks that are a challenge to navigate without tools (like the ocean, Artic or some of the huge flat forested expanses of Northern Europe and Asia). If you are mobile enough to walk that far, nearly any stream will lead to a river where there are roads and people. I think you need to keep your day job. It would be a safer activity I am sure.

You know if he youtubed any of his survival shenanigans that involved cutting down a live tree (shudder) for firewood or popping a grouse for grub he'd be on America's Most Liberal Hit List. true story

I spent 13 years in the USAF as a professional (combat) rescue man. I have been to 3 different USAF 6 week survival schools including the one near where I grew up in northeastern Washington. My units rescued hundreds of people (civilians) every year. 8 miles is a long way to travel and still be lost. Even in the Frank Church (I floated the Salmon there with Jimmy Carter because I was from the area and so familiar with it) traveling 8 miles you would find streams or ridges allowing you to get your bearings and return to where you started or another place of safety. I have worked on every continent. There are a few places that are so flat without landmarks that are a challenge to navigate without tools (like the ocean, Artic or some of the huge flat forested expanses of Northern Europe and Asia). If you are mobile enough to walk that far, nearly any stream will lead to a river where there are roads and people. I think you need to keep your day job. It would be a safer activity I am sure.

Ah, so I did misunderstand you. Get you bearings within 8 miles, that makes much more sense!

Good he's home safe! From the description on TV the guy did alright, used his gear, had a fire each night and wrapped up in a space blanket! Good job! :)

Just a side note -- I keep a stack of these "protein pucks" in my backpack in case I do get lost (or more likely, stuck). Ignore the buzzwords like paleo or vegan -- the ones in the green wrapper actually taste really good (nuts, seeds, coconut, dates) -- I have to hide them from my wife till hunting season is over or she gobbles them. Each disc is almost 500 calories calories, maybe 3" in diameter and about a half inch thick. They pack very nicely. The black and red wrappers though -- those aren't any good IMHO.

PROTEIN PUCK - a gluten free, vegan, all natural energy bar from nature.

EDIT: I noticed the price on the website is very high. I get mine at Cash & Carry ( Restaurant Supply - Food Wholesale - Food Distributor ), about $24 for a box of 16.

Last Edited:
Just a side note -- I keep a stack of these "protein pucks" in my backpack in case I do get lost (or more likely, stuck). Ignore the buzzwords like paleo or vegan -- the ones in the green wrapper actually taste really good (nuts, seeds, coconut, dates) -- I have to hide them from my wife till hunting season is over or she gobbles them. Each disc is almost 500 calories calories, maybe 3" in diameter and about a half inch thick. They pack very nicely. The black and red wrappers though -- those aren't any good IMHO.

PROTEIN PUCK - a gluten free, vegan, all natural energy bar from nature.
"Pemmican"

;)

Except I'm fat enough I could stand to be in the woods for a week and be alright.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top