JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Part of the reason I like going to eastern oregon hunting is because my cell phone doesn't work out there. I don't have to talk to anyone unless I want to.

clearly we need to hire social workers who are positioned every 50 ft in all directions. They will instruct people when it is raining to put on their coats and when hungry to shovel food to their pie holes.

A couple of years back I sat on a bench - one of these, in fact - with Mrs tac and two of my cousins over from Canada, my niece and her husband and two girls, my own daughter and granddaughter, eating some ice-creams, when three young men - late teens, I'd guess, came walking along the riverside, all three peering intently at their cellphones, which were held right up to their faces.

Imagine them coming towards you, toward the bandstand - where we were - between the pleasure boat and the bandstand.

21-09-13-chester-the-groves-bandstand-b.jpg

Just before they reached the projecting part of the sidewalk, with great precision and firm intent, all three made a smart right face and walked straight into the river in front of our astonished eyes.

Yup, they'd been chasing a Pokemon dooda, and it had appeared, as they do, to have been to their right, and by Golly they were going to catch that little bugger, even though he didn't in fact, exist.

Thankishly, the water is only around four feet deep there, so, full of heart, I watched them flounder - me and about a hundred others, that is.

We let them get themselves out. We all joined in with huge applause as they walked away dripping.

tac

thanks man. i too would consider myself exempt from "millennialism."

born in '88

Yes, I do not mean this as an indictment of the entire millennial generation. All 5 of my kids are millennials. 3 combat veterans, couple of firefighters and an LEO. if they head out in the woods they have survival packs, weapons and 2 of them have those little ham radios that work where cell phones do not. I will agree that the bottom half of the generation is as dumb as a pile of rocks. I will also say that kids in their 20's now are even dumber than the lower half of the millennials.

Hate to break it to you @v0lcom13sn0w but technically you are a millenial just one of the good ones that will help keep this great nation running.

In fact I feel sorry for you and ones like you. When the older generations start to pass you will have to work harder because the lazy ones are well, Dumb and Lazy!

Edit: You will have some help. My daughter and SIL are in the mix with you and will help keep things on the up and up. ;)

I still can't believe people go out in the woods without a way to make coffee. If I get lost, that is inconvenient. If I get lost without a way to make coffee, that is a disaster.
(And I only say this half in jest. If I have a way to make coffee, I will pretty much have all the rest I need to hunker down until daylight, or I am found. Letting my Wife know exactly where I am leaving my truck, and my intended route, is another large part).
I try and instill this is some of the younger folks I work with and try to mentor. Many just don't get it. Then again, I have done many a search for someone who "just stepped off the road to take a leak".

Hate to break it to you @v0lcom13sn0w but technically you are a millenial just one of the good ones that will help keep this great nation running.

In fact I feel sorry for you and ones like you. When the older generations start to pass you will have to work harder because the lazy ones are well, Dumb and Lazy!

Edit: You will have some help. My daughter and SIL are in the mix with you and will help keep things on the up and up. ;)
lol i am in millennial denial

I still can't believe people go out in the woods without a way to make coffee. If I get lost, that is inconvenient. If I get lost without a way to make coffee, that is a disaster.
(And I only say this half in jest. If I have a way to make coffee, I will pretty much have all the rest I need to hunker down until daylight, or I am found. Letting my Wife know exactly where I am leaving my truck, and my intended route, is another large part).
I try and instill this is some of the younger folks I work with and try to mentor. Many just don't get it. Then again, I have done many a search for someone who "just stepped off the road to take a leak".
i know a guy that takes a costco size bin of redvines, whiskey and cocacola out in the woods. like 10 miles into the woods. every time. lol

My boys are millennials and i have had many employees in that generation, it is a mixed bag from what i see trusting too much on the opinions of others vs. personal experience and wisdom earned. One thing I promote for those that do not EDC is to have a few basics and there is a company called Klecker in Silverton that makes phone cases that hold tools. I always have an extra house key, a knife, a fire striker and pair of scissors on my phone and some of their other cool stuff clips on my bag. It is all about baby steps to learning how to do something well, and when you think you have locked yourself out of the house and then realize that you can gain entry in a civilized manner there is a soft spot created for the next tool or idea on how to be better prepared.

20180124_191633393_iOS.jpg 20180124_191720384_iOS_LI.jpg 20180124_190036630_iOS_LI.jpg

I was impressed that the scout troop in our area had the boys do an overnighter back in October with just what they could fit in their pockets. Some did better than others, all learned a lot and are looking forward to a second round this spring. It would be nice to get some excitement behind this like running a Tough Mudder course.

My boys are millennials and i have had many employees in that generation, it is a mixed bag from what i see trusting too much on the opinions of others vs. personal experience and wisdom earned. One thing I promote for those that do not EDC is to have a few basics and there is a company called Klecker in Silverton that makes phone cases that hold tools. I always have an extra house key, a knife, a fire striker and pair of scissors on my phone and some of their other cool stuff clips on my bag. It is all about baby steps to learning how to do something well, and when you think you have locked yourself out of the house and then realize that you can gain entry in a civilized manner there is a soft spot created for the next tool or idea on how to be better prepared.

View attachment 424223 View attachment 424228 View attachment 424229

I was impressed that the scout troop in our area had the boys do an overnighter back in October with just what they could fit in their pockets. Some did better than others, all learned a lot and are looking forward to a second round this spring. It would be nice to get some excitement behind this like running a Tough Mudder course.

That is actually a cool phone case! Do they have a website?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top