JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why is it we have some great technology, but every drive thru has a speaker that emits fart noises? Lol need to belt out those food orders like the days in boot camp to ensure clear communication lol.

20200205_132224.jpg

I really hope your local joint can keep going through this k8brown nightmare. I can't bring myself to get take out food that I don't eat in the car, like burger and fries. I cook all kinds of things. Been sole cook and bottle washer for well more than 30 years. i can cook as good or better than anywhere we ever go out to eat. Getting some thing delivered, or getting to go containers and then come home to eat cold/luke-warm food isn't something I can do.
We have about 5 resturants in Silverton we have gone out of our way to support during this stupidity. A Thai, Mexican, Family/Pizza, And then one of two locations of the Local Pub. We also hit up a few others on a random basis.

The wife works for Safeway I work for a Construction co as a Dump truck driver. Our income has not been effected at all. When we got the $1200.00 each payment from the government we paid off a couple small bills and decided to put the rest into supporting the places we like to eat here in town. SO far the place we frequent all say they are doing OK holding their own. Silverton is a big Bedroom community now so a lot of people eat out a couple times a week it seams.

big hits to town include the loss of the Theater and one of the big down town taverns (they were just not setup to run on the small kitchen only) A couple of smaller business are just barely holding on including a couple places that opened right before the plague hit.

As a counter point the local family restaurant which typically is packed almost every night of the week is drive up only (they have a window around back) And sometimes there are almost 20 cars in line. With more then 4-5 cars in the line since everything has already been ordered over the phone the send someone from the manager to one of the kids (sometimes 3 of them are out shagging cards and bringing out orders, out to the cars back in the line even in the rain to find out what your order is and to bring it out to you running the card back and forth. even on the busiest of nights rarely in line more then 10 min. And its real food.
Beaverton: Thai Apsara & Pepitas. Call it in, pickup in 10 minutes, two meals worth of food for the same price as a bag full of garbage from the fallen arches.
My youngest has waited 90 minutes in the In-N-Out line at Keizer Station, just for the stupidity of it. :rolleyes:
La Grande. If I were dumb enough to go to Potland or Couv, I wouldn't be provoking people by wearing a hat with a gun on it.
Nope, you'd wear a MAGA hat :D

And here I thought it was just my luck that whenever I got coffee, the car ahead of me seemed to be ordering for the entire office...

Way back when I was 26, my digestive system decided we weren't going to eat meat or fast food under dire penalty of extreme pain. So stuff like McD's is quite literally poisonous to me. Luckily, there is an authentic Mexican taco shop in town that makes the best burritos North of the mission district in San Francisco, so I probably won't starve to death anytime soon.

1) "I have always liked to cook.. just don't like to clean up."
Bingo!!! There's the secret! People eat out because it's easier, seldom better.
The Beloved and I pretty much quit going out to eat because we hate spending $ on something that's not as good as what we eat at home. This is especially true with steak. We would rather spend the $ on a superior cut of meat and handle the preparation ourselves than pay for ambience or convenience. Having a good grill saves a lot of kitchen clean-up.

2) "Nope, you'd wear a MAGA hat"
I would LOVE to wear a MAGA hat because it's the most succinct way of giving the finger to people I loathe.
I refrain from doing so because I don't wish to be put in the position of having to shoot some deranged moron(s) who attacked me over my hat.

3) " Those Firestar pistols were pretty good guns.. "
As was the PD. It wasn't a gun built for a high round count - carry a lot $ shoot a little, but it was the 1st of the little bitty alloy .45s. When I was a working gunsmith I did a trigger job on one. Upon primary assembly after the initial stone/polish/tweak the pull was 1.5# :)eek:) with no perceptible creep, a crisp break, and no follow down or other problems that come with a light trigger. Of course, no way that's OK on a carry pistol and it took a couple of hours to get the pull weight right. I really liked the fire control/safety because the safety blocks the hammer and unloads the sear and a trigger job is a whole lot easier than it is on a 1911. Of the Spanish pistols it was my observation that the Star and Astra product lines were of pretty good build quality, while the Llamas sucked.

Last Edited:
McD revenue is up!
early on I was hoping food and other deliveries would become ubiquitous and cheaper. I got about 1/3 of the first one so far, not stellar but given the rest of 2020 I guess I'll have to take it.

On the other hand, the doc says my bloodwork looks better now.

Home cooking? Maybe. More treadmill? Probably.

Uncle built real buildings for real food places all across the country. His observation about "fast food meat was done when they cooked the puss out of it." He had a way with descriptions. Gagged at the thought. Couldn't bring myself to "enjoy" a fast food burger, fish or chicken since then.

When I was a teenager, I worked at a couple of burger joints. Carl's jr actually had decent products coming in, to make food out of. The burger patties said " 100% beef" , and the chicken was just chicken. Real eggs, decent produce. Not sure what they have, now, it's been over 30 years ago. The other place was an independent out by LAX, and had pretty good food, too, not overly processed.

When I was a teenager, I worked at a couple of burger joints. Carl's jr actually had decent products coming in, to make food out of. The burger patties said " 100% beef" , and the chicken was just chicken. Real eggs, decent produce. Not sure what they have, now, it's been over 30 years ago. The other place was an independent out by LAX, and had pretty good food, too, not overly processed.

Every so often I get a craving for a super star with cheese from Carl's Jr. I recall when there were not any Carl's Jr. in Washington State we stopped at the Carl's Jr. in Salem, OR when we driving back to Washington.

It has been my observation that if you're gonna eat Mexican fast food get it from a fast food truck with real Mexicans behind the counter. I don't buy the philosophy that it's OK if it sucks as long as it's cheap.

BTW, a few years back I had a couple of tacos from the Mexican quickie chow wagon across the street from Der Wienerschnitzel in Everett and found them to be authentic and worth what I paid for them.

I'M not gonna' try it! You try it! :p I think it's stoopid what places like "Taco Smell' charge for a taco. Yeah, they still taste good like they did way back, maybe 1962, when I had my first Taco Bell taco in long Beach Cali. I make my own for a fraction of the cost though. You try making home made "Refritos". After a couple/three times you'll never go back to canned. Carnitas, Enchiladas. I little more work, you own enchilada red sauce. It used to be mexican food was pretty cheap compared to other "Comfort Food". Not so much anymore.

Boy, we got real off topic I guess. :oops:

Taco smell tacos at $1.60 a whack. Taco Time tacos a little more. Last time I went to Taco Time, I had a combo meat/bean burrito and a Tues special soft taco and it cost me $9. Geez. I can eat authentic carne asada tacos at Raul's downtown for $1.80ea and a huge burrito with everything (I ask him to leave the lettuce off... a burrito with lettuce, nope) for $5.00 that I can eat for two meals. But it's not fast. It's crowded and I have to find a downtown parking spot.

Never made refritos... can buy a huge can for $1. But I do make ground beef tacos, it doesn't get much simpler than that. And I make a coupla diff kinds of enchiladas. Also made chile rellenos and carne asada. I'll pass on the New Year's menudo tho!! (Place in San Diego made the best machaca burritos... great as long as you didn't think about what you were eating. Then there was the El Tepeyac in East Los Angeles.. they made a burrito that was free if you could eat it all before you left. I usually ate about 4 meals off one.)

Luckily, there is an authentic Mexican taco shop in town that makes the best burritos North of the mission district in San Francisco, so I probably won't starve to death anytime soon.

I hope not. We are blessed with a Hispanic community here and in nearby towns that have good "roach coach" Mex food. It's always way better than Americanized franchise stuff.

But if ya go to Mexico, it is advised to stay away from the street vendors. We went to a place in Cabo that was an outdoor bbq that the Cruise line recommended... it was great! We also had wonderful shrimp. Then there was another outdoor place at a beach near an ex-pat community below Acapulco that had wonderful food too.

Never made refritos... can buy a huge can for $1.

You can buy, (well I buy from bins at Winco), a pound of pintos for .89. If you have time and a potato masher. Sort/rinse 1 cup dry beans. I use a one quart sauce pan, cover with water plus 1" and simmer for 2 hours. Should be really soft by then. Drain what bean water you can and save to ad back to the beans as you mash them. I use a stainless bowl. Put the hot beans, with what ever water is left with them, in the pan and season. I use salt to taste, a little cumin, garlic powder, about a Tblsp lard +/-, about the same margarine, and I'll ad a couple teaspoons bacon grease. You don't really need any of that but the salt. All recipes I've read say "Ample Fat". I've had 'em with nothing but salt. Still good. Mash the heck out of those beans while hot. As they thicken up put some of the bean water back in. Mash the heck out of them. Make them a little runny. I always try to make 'em early enough that they sit on the stove at a low barely simmer for awhile A little too runny isn't a bad thing. Leaving the lid ajar for a short time thickens them quickly. Keep the left over bean water in case you get them a little too thick. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top